Advice needed on an alternative to Windows Snipping Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed on an alternative to Windows Snipping Tool

In the past I have used Windows Snipping Tool to snip small articles from FMP's Newspaper Collection, to save to my PC. If the article is a long one that scrolls over many screen pages, I have snipped multiple bits of it and pasted them into a Word document but this is not very efficient and it is time consuming.

Does anyone know of a better way of snipping the whole article in one go? Is there any free software that works with Windows 8.1 that would do this?

I wish FMP had a similar facility to the Trove collection of newspapers that has a built in method of clipping an article on that site.

Thank you for any advice offered.

Pat

Not sure which browser you are using but here are some suggestions, sorry not tried and tested just googled

Want to capture a screenshot of a webpage beyond the viewing area? Here are screenshot tools that capture a scrolling screenshot in Windows.

not too sure if they work in windows 8, worth a go.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you Carolyn. I looked at the link and , as I use Mozilla Firefox, tried the suggestion on that site. I still cannot get it to highlight a section as I scroll so I tried enlarging the page and scrolling with that but to no avail.

I had Googled the problem as well, but thought someone here might have already managed to work out how to do it.

Thank you for trying to find a solution.

Pat

Comment

tried it in firefox their snip tool is also a pair of scissors, and if not in your toolbar, you can do the more settings and get it and drag into toolbar.

Their scissor snip will scroll down and then it downloads it. Unless it is not compatible with win 8, I am on 10
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Elderflower I have done that too, copied bits and joined them together its so annoying.
          Youtube often have helpful tips on pc stuff.

Comment

firefox seems to work very well, tried it a few times
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

I apologize for not responding sooner to the latest posts by Carolyn and Val. I checked and am subscribed to this thread but have not received notifications that there are new posts. Anyway, thank you both for your input it is appreciated.

I have put the "Scissors" button on my Firefox tool bar and it works well on "normal" websites. i.e. I can scroll the page and select just the part of the page I want to snip. However, when I try this when looking at newspapers on FMP, I can do the same and save the article but the print is so small it's unreadable. I then tried to enlarge the snip once save on my PC but it was so blurred, again it was not possible to read. I then attempted to enlarge the article to a readable size when still on the newspaper page but was unable to scroll to the end of the article. This is probably due to the little "Hand" that appears when an article is highlighted and enlarged and to see the part of the article that is at the bottom of the page, I have to use the "hand" to push the article up the screen. The scissors method does not work for me in this scenario. I also wonder if this is something to do with Win 8.1 as opposed to Win 10?

Again, any advice will be welcome.

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Elderflower View Post
                I apologize for not responding sooner to the latest posts by Carolyn and Val. I checked and am subscribed to this thread but have not received notifications that there are new posts. Anyway, thank you both for your input it is appreciated.

Pat
                Could you check that your email address is correct please? We have had some trouble with notification emails bouncing back to us either because the email address in no longer current or that the ISP is blocking us, although I don't recall any coming back from you, so they might just be wandering around in the ether..
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi Caroline

I think old age must be affecting my brain as I cannot see where to check my email address for this site. I tried My Profile and My Settings but cannot see where it is. I have checked my spam folder now and there they are!!!. I have told googlemail that these messages are NOT spam so hopefully will get them in future. It also shows the site has my correct email address.

Thank you again.

Pat

Comment

I have put the "Scissors" button on my Firefox tool bar and it works well on "normal" websites. i.e. I can scroll the page and select just the part of the page I want to snip. However, when I try this when looking at newspapers on FMP, I can do the same and save the article but the print is so small it's unreadable. I then tried to enlarge the snip once save on my PC but it was so blurred, again it was not possible to read. I then attempted to enlarge the article to a readable size when still on the newspaper page but was unable to scroll to the end of the article. This is probably due to the little "Hand" that appears when an article is highlighted and enlarged and to see the part of the article that is at the bottom of the page, I have to use the "hand" to push the article up the screen. The scissors method does not work for me in this scenario. I also wonder if this is something to do with Win 8.1 as opposed to Win 10?

Again, any advice will be welcome.

Pat
                    Go to

https://www.maketecheasier.com/captu...nshot-windows/

Scroll down to and download/install ShareX. Be aware that when you choose Capture/Scrolling Capture then click on the page, a large black dialog box opens that offers options. I ignored them and clicked on Start Capture at the bottom of the dialog box. It went away and I then clicked at the top right corner of the web page then pulled the mouse down while holding the left mouse button. Full screen scrolling capture. Might just be what you are looking for.

Comment

Hi Caroline

I think old age must be affecting my brain as I cannot see where to check my email address for this site. I tried My Profile and My Settings but cannot see where it is. I have checked my spam folder now and there they are!!!. I have told googlemail that these messages are NOT spam so hopefully will get them in future. It also shows the site has my correct email address.

Thank you again.

Pat
                      If anyone else has the same issue, if you send me a PM or an email to CONTACT US I will change it for you.
                      Caroline
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by LookingForFamily View Post

Go to

https://www.maketecheasier.com/captu...nshot-windows/

Scroll down to and download/install ShareX. Be aware that when you choose Capture/Scrolling Capture then click on the page, a large black dialog box opens that offers options. I ignored them and clicked on Start Capture at the bottom of the dialog box. It went away and I then clicked at the top right corner of the web page then pulled the mouse down while holding the left mouse button. Full screen scrolling capture. Might just be what you are looking for.
                        I have added the quote in post #10 for you - in future, you can use the Quote button next to the Edit button. It helps us keep track of conversations within conversations.
                        edit.jpg
                        Caroline

Comment

Working...
                        X