Look ups offered in Alverstoke/Gosport hants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many thanks, Lesley.

She was born SOPHIA PURKIS then married THOMAS CLEVERLY and then WILLIAM PARR before she married this chap! Poor woman was widowed twice, with small children.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

• Me again Elizabeth.

Sophia's father is shown as James Purkis a sawyer.

The witnesses were John Batchelor and Mary Ann Cleverly.

Henry Hayter was a Widower, a labourer from Gosport and his father too was a sawyer.

Hope this helps one way or the other!

Lesley.

Comment

• The sawyer bit rings a bell, but it may be another family - I shall have to look at my notes.

Many, many thanks, Lesley. These snippets are invaluable, I note them all down and maybe one day I shall have an Eureka moment! ;D
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

• Lesley - this is just another, very grateful, thank you to you from me for doing such fantastic work in helping me (and many others) in finding their Alverstoke / Gosport rellies! Not all of my requests go on this board (some are for living rellies) but you do sterling work!

Comment

• Thank you for those kind words Bertie!

" Blushes and leaves thread!"

Lesley

Comment

• Hi

I was just wondering if, you have access, to mariages that took place in Gosport district in 1945???
              btw:..both bride and groom are deceased!
              if not,..would you know, where i can access them?..would it be portsmouth library??
              kindest regards
              Gina

Comment

• Hi Gina.

Marriages for that date are available to look at on microfiche at our local Study Centre. A copy can be printed off if required.

If you let me know the names,rough date etc. I can look it up for you. Just let me know . As you are no doubt aware, this site does not allow names of living persons to be mentioned but you say they are both deceased so there is no problem.

Lesley

Comment

• OMG...Thank you very much!!
                  Yes both bride and groom are deceased!!

they married june 1945, in "Gosport" district (got that info via ancestry)
                  Doris Stella Carter
                  Married a John Ireland!!!
                  these 2 people are my paternal grand parents!,...and i am terribly interested in their father's names, occupation etc!..well anything that i can get from this certificate,.will hopefully enable me to further my research!!
                  Thank you very very much, for this

Kindest regards
                  Gina

Comment

• Have been to the Study Centre today Gina, so may not get there again now until next week.

Please keep checking back on this thread as you never know....may try and get there before then.

Lesley.

Comment

• Thank you xx

Comment

• Just had a horrible thought......if it was a Registry Office wedding I cannot help you as only Church Wedding records are kept on microfiche! In that case you will have to send either to the Local Registry office or the GRO for a copy of the certificate which will cost you £9.25.

Anyway, fingers crossed it was a Church Wedding!

Lesley.

Comment

• i know John ireland, was in the navy.......i dont know if maybe the navy married in certain places???
                          but then again, my gran was from Hartley Wintney!
                          fingers crossed!!!
                          xxx

Comment

• Look up for ukgal.

Hi Gina,

Sorry, I had no luck with the record of the marriage you were looking for in Alverstoke. I went through the records of eight local churches but found nothing. I know you said the marriage was in June but I did check out the whole of the Q3 records ie April, May and June.

I can only assume that the marriage was a Registery Office one. Am I right in thinking that Doris was only 16 when she married? I checked out a birth record on Ancestry and assumed that it was your Doris that was born in 1929 which would make her young when she married.

Sorry I couldn't help you this time.

Lesley.

Comment

• Hi.... know this offer was quite a while ago, but need some help.My great grandfather John Miller...born c1833..Dublin,was in Gosport in 1858, I have the birth cert. for one of his daughters...Ann Miller...born 19th March 1858, Clayhall, Gosport...registered 15 April 1858...mother Mary Rillly/ Reilly, c1837, Dublin. John Miller was a Private soldier in the Lancashire Militia Artillery.All the other children were born in Liverpool.The only census records were 1871 and we only identified the family, as my grandfather James 1873 had the same godmother as a sibling.The 1871 census was mistranscribed as Couport hemp. I took a chance on Gosport Hants as I lived near Clayhall in 1960. I'm trying to find out more information as to where they lived.The next information re my grandfather James was when he married in Manchester in 1895....the didn't seem to do records....Regards, Pat

Comment

• Hello Pat.
                                Welcome to FTF!

My offer is to check out Parish Records at the local Study Centre but as you seem to have the birth cert. of Ann Miller b.March in Clayhall, Gosport it would be pointless looking for a possible baptism to confirm what you already know from the certificate. Doesn't the birth cert. give the address you are looking for?

To be honest, I think your post would be better posted on the Research board as there are people on there who have far more knowledge of FH than me! I couldn't even find your James Miller on the 1871 Census!! Even when I searched for the mistranscribed Couport hemp!!!

If I can help with anything else regarding lookups in this area, just ask.

Lesley

Comment

• Many thanks...this has been a very hard family to trace. have been on before under branwen, but for some reason couldn't get in today.A lot of people tried to help me with my grandfather James Miller 1873 and we were certain of one...unfortunately I came across a death in 1896....which eliminated that one and another I thought it might be.My James was not born in 1871, but found church christening records in Liverpool and he had the same godmother as John Miller 1866, the son of John 1833.....so presumed he was a sibling.I have a birth cert..father John and Mary Riley. Father dock labourer.We have a christening for a Mary 1856 Liverpool with the right names for parents..but may not be. Wondered if they got married in Gosport and Ann was their first child. Can't find a marriage in Liverpool.Just got Ann's birth this week and have sent for a death for a Mary Miller/Riley, Liverpool in1881. The Lancashire Militia Artillery marched through Liverpool and caught the train to Portsmouth around the time of Ann's birth.They must have lived in Gosport for at least a month from birth to registration.Don't know what happened to my James from birth 1873 to marriage in Manchester 1895. Nothing on 1881 or 1891 censuses. People on all the forums have been helping for years...this new information that John was in the militia is a surprise...we all came to the conclusion that they were Irish travelers, who didn't do records. This is quite a coincidence as I lived in Shaftesbury Rd. and went to Bay House School in Stokes Bay.I will try the research board and the war forums again...Thanks again...Pat

Comment

• Hi Pat,

I assume you have seen the death for Ann Miller Portsea Q3 1858? Could this have been your Ann B. March 1858?

Lesley

Comment

• Hi Leslie.....yes I've seen that...but she was alive with her parents John and Mary , and siblings Elizabeth 1860, John 1866 and Mary E 1870...in the 1871 census, in Cherry Lane , Liverpool. Ann 1858's father John was in the Lancashire Militia Artillery, which was part time and became the T.A. in 1908. In 1871 he was listed as a labourer. The Mary Miller, who's death cert I have sent for is the right age, and was probably interred in a pauper's grave in Walton Cemetery, Rice Lane, Liverpool, near to Cherry Lane. Another coincidence....drove along there on Friday going from Abergele to Walton Hospital...Elizabeth ,John, Mary E and my James 1873, were all christened in Our Lady of Reconcilliation de la Salle, Liverpool.......Pat

Comment

• Hi Punchs Mum

Thanks so much for having a look for me,..yes that is My doris that Wed at 16,.born 1929......so presumming it was a registry wedding,.....would i be able to go to the hampshire records office, in Winchester,..and find this entry,??....or are Registry office weddings different????

i do belong, and subscibe to Ancestry,...but im wondering if its all worth the money you pay?..i thought i would have got more details from there, other than the Quarter year, and year of marriage!!
                                        Thanks Again

Gina

Comment

• Hi Gina

To be honest, I don't know if Hampshire Records Office keep records of Registry Office Weddings!!!! Worth a phone call to them to find out I suppose. It's not a great distance from where you are. Other than that it would mean paying for the certificate.

I think Ancestry does take a bit of getting used to. I wouldn't be without it now though (finances permitting that is!) You could have found the marriage date details for free on FreeBMD if that is all you joined Ancestry for!

Lesley

Comment

Working...
                                          X