Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
    HELEN

Thought yours would be straightforward so didn't do any background work on it & now I'm completely confused.

There was an Elizabeth born 1830 to Joseph/Mary & nothing for the other names & years you mentioned.

I found Solomon but he had different parents from the James that I found.

There was a marriage in 1831 between James WALKER & Mary LACEY which I then omitted to record the date of.

I'll have another look next week.

Thanks Glen, maybe she fibbed about James Walker being her father on her marriage cert - it has been known! Thanks for looking, don't spend heaps of time on it, its been puzzling me for a few years now so I am sure it can puzzle me a bit longer ... Maybe mother's maiden name is Walker and Solomon Walker her brother? By all means if you have time please do some more digging, but I don't want to feel like I am asking too much. Thank you again, Helen

Comment

JOY

As Mary died at Widmer End, I thought I'd take a look at Hazlemere which is the nearest church and:
      Mary NEWTON Hazlemere Widmer End 61 18/2/ 1901
      Isaac NEWTON Widmer End 4mths 9/12/1875

Completely forgot to have a look for John there. Will try to remember next week.

Princes Risboro'
      Fanny NEWTON Town 18 19/2/1866

In 1891 Ann NEWELL (NOWELL) is living with her daughter Eliza SUMMERS in Chepping Wycombe.

Thank you very much for finding Mary and Isaac. My Grandad was christened at St Michael and All Angels at Hughenden so I had wondered if all those I was seeking would have been buried there; wrong, I was :-) Now I look again, and see that some of his brothers and sisters were christened in Hughenden, and some at Hazlemere. How sad about the baby.

Thank you for seeing Ann (Nowell); I shall follow her.

I shall ask you later if you can knock down another brick wall, please.
      Last edited by Joy Dean; 27-08-09, 07:24.
      Joy

Comment

HELEN

Interestingly, in 1851 Mary & family are living next door to a William LACEY & both were born in Cookham Berks. He has a daughter Eliza born in Risboro'.

There is a Mary Anne on the IGI baptised Cookham to a William & Elizabeth but that's inconclusive.

Hopefully William baptised his children born in Risboro'. Another look is in order.
        Glen

Comment

JOY

I'll have a look for John in Hazlemere in case he was omitted from the GRO Index but if he's not there I can't think of where else to look.

Add your next request when you are ready.
          Glen

Comment

Thank you very much for finding all that info on the Puseys, Glen.

Greatly appreciated.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thank you again. I received some years ago help from subscribers on the rootsweb mailing list for Buckinghamshire about my ancestral family from that county including information in the following:-

Jesse Green was born in Speen, Buckingham about 1800. He married Sophia Loosley in Princes Risborough, 12 February 1828. Jesse Green bachelor of Speen and Sophia Loosley spinster of Speen were married by Banns at Princes Risborough.
              Sophia was born in Speen, Buckingham about 1807. Sophia died 2 April 1848 in Speen, Princes Risborough. Cause of death: 'Died in child bed. Not certified.', her age was 41 years, wife of Jesse Green, labourer.
              Jesse died 27 January 1861 in Speen, Princes Risborough. Cause of death: 'General decay', his age was 61, occupation Carrier. The informant was his daughter, Mary Green, present at the death.
              It is possible that his father was William Green.
              Censuses for the GREEN family of Speen:-
              1821 census Mrs Green Family of 3 males and 1 female Two males ages 20 to 30 One male age 60 to 70 One female age 60 to 70 . NB no evidence the three males were 'Green'.
              1831 census Jesse Green Family of 3 males, 2 females (no ages given on 1831 census) but two males were over 20 years, one a labourer, one a woodworker. ** Also John Green Family one male one female, one male over 20 was a labourer. ** This could be John Green who turns up on Baptist Church records, and possibly could be a brother of Jesse. Also there is a John Green on the 1841 census Speen, Ag lab, age 54, with Celia, age 60.
              1841 census Jefse Green Ag Lab, age 40, wife Sophia, age 30, Sophia, age 8, William, age 4, Mary, age 1, Speen.
              1851 census Jessy Green Carrier / Carter, age 51, widowed, daughter Mary, age 11, Lacemaker, daughter Elizabeth, age 8, Lacemaker, son William, age 6, Maria Harman, Servant, age 38, Housekeeper, born Windsor, Speen.
              On the birth certificate of his daughter Mary, Jesse was a sawyer. On his daughter Mary's marriage certificate, he was a labourer.

Jesse and Sophia's daughter Mary is my great-grandmother who married John Newton in St John's, Lacey Green, Princes Risborough, 9 March 1861 and whose burial you have found for me.
              I do have quite a lot of information about Mary's brothers and sisters.

No one could find the christenings for Jesse and Sophia - I wonder if you can, please?
              Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Helen in Bucks View Post
                father James WALKER, from Elizabeth's marriage cert
                Helen
                HELEN

Is the marriage cert. a photocopy or handwritten? Also would you tell me the who, where & when please.
                Glen

Comment

JOY

Will see what I can do.
                  Glen

Comment

Thanks Glen

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

HELEN

Is the marriage cert. a photocopy or handwritten? Also would you tell me the who, where & when please.

Hi Glen

The cert is from the GRO, it is obviously not an original but is handwritten as opposed to typed and the handwriting is "old-fashioned".

18th Oct 1852, Parish Church Princes Risborough.
                      David Goodchild, 21, Bachelor, Labourer, Longwick, father Jesse Goodchild, Farmer.
                      Elizabeth Walker, 20, Spinster, Lacemaker, Park Fields, father James Walker, Labourer.
                      Witnesses Jeremiah Lacey and Louisa Lacey.

Louisa Lacey nee Goodchild is David Goodchild's sister. She married Jeremiah Lacey in 1851 and died in 1853. Their son Theophilus Lacey was left a legacy by Louisa and David's father, Jesse Goodchild, in 1854, I have a copy of his will.

Interestingly Elizabeth Walker does not state that her father is deceased, however I have known this to happen before, seems that if the bride or groom weren't specifically asked if their father was living that they didn't necessarily say.

Not sure if there is a connection with the other Laceys, there are lots of them about. I believe Jeremiah was born in Loosley Row. He remarried after Louisa's death and was living at Parkfield in 1861.

Not sure if this helps!

Helen

Comment

HELEN

Thanks for the background, I'll have another go next week. It's very easy when searching for someone you know nothing about to miss relevant bits of info. available in the register.
                        Glen

Comment

Glen, thank you. As I said before, don't spend too long on it.

Here's another one I'm not getting very far with using online resources, I would hope that the Bledlow parish regs might be helpful, I realise I have now asked you for lots of help and I would quite understand if enough was enough - please say if you don't have time to do this:

Thomas Williams, born Bledlow ca. 1834.

1841 census Class: HO107; Piece 40; Book: 4, Lower Green, Bledlow. Rachael Williams, age 30, lacemaker, Thomas Williams age 8, George Williams age 6, Solomon Williams age 3, all born in Buckinghamshire.

1851 census Class: HO107; Piece: 1720; Folio: 615; Page: 29 with Badger family, farm labourer.

1861 census Class: RG9; Piece: 863; Folio: 7; Page: 7, with father in law Daniel Butler, head, widowed, 64, ag lab, born Bledlow. Thomas Williams, son in law, married, 27, ag lab, born Bledlow. Sarah Williams, daughter / wife, married, 26, lace maker, born Bledlow. Sarah Williams, daughter, 3, born Bledlow. Mary Williams, daughter, 9 months, born Bledlow.

Marriage cert for Thomas Williams and Sarah Butler:
                          27th November 1856 at the parish church in the parish of Bledlow. Thomas Williams, 21 years, bachelor, farm labourer, residence Bledlow, father John Williams, farm labourer. Sarah Butler, 21 years, spinster, lacemaker, residence Bledlow, father Daniel Butler, farm labourer. Both bride and groom made their mark. Witnesses Joseph Jefkins and Jane Nichols (their marks).

I can't find a marriage for John Williams and Rachel so don't know Rachel's maiden name.

I can't find a baptism for Thomas Williams to confirm parents.

I did find a possible baptism for John Williams on the IGI, but it was a submitted record, 25th Dec 1793, Bledlow, parents John Williams and Sarah Tappin.

Rachel / Rachael Williams is on 1851 and 1861 censuses in Bledlow, both have her birth year as 1806 and borth place as Henton in 1851 and Chinnor in 1861. She is on the 1881 census with her son Solomon and his family. Her death reg in 1884 age 78, don't have cert.

I've got a horrible feeling that John may be a made up father too - there seems to be a lot of it about on the Bucks part of my tree ...

Comment

HELEN

Ask for as many as you like - there doesn't seem to be too many folks with Bucks ancestors plus I enjoy doing it.

My own research has slowed to a trickle - my brick walls are extremely well-pointed. Even so on my last trip to Suffolk I managed to find the Inventory from 1730 of a 6xg-gf even though the will doesn't exist.
                            Glen

Comment

Thank you.

Helen, I have a Sarah Ann Newton who married a Jesse Goodchild in 1884 -

1891 census: Wheeler End Jesse Goodchild 33 Princes Risborough, Sarah A Goodchild 24 PR, George 7 West Wycombe, Owen 4 Fingest, Ada A 2 West Wycombe.

Her parents are James and Sarah nee Lacey
                              Last edited by Joy Dean; 28-08-09, 15:40.
                              Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
                                Thank you.

Helen, I have a Sarah Ann Newton who married a Jesse Goodchild in 1884 -

1891 census: Wheeler End Jesse Goodchild 33 Princes Risborough, Sarah A Goodchild 24 PR, George 7 West Wycombe, Owen 4 Fingest, Ada A 2 West Wycombe.

Her parents are James and Sarah nee Lacey

Joy, that Jesse Goodchild is my husband's 1st cousin 3x removed. His grandfather Jesse Goodchild born c1791 is my husband's 3G grandfather. I have quite a lot of Goodchild info if you need any! Helen

Comment

HELEN

Ask for as many as you like - there doesn't seem to be too many folks with Bucks ancestors plus I enjoy doing it.

My own research has slowed to a trickle - my brick walls are extremely well-pointed. Even so on my last trip to Suffolk I managed to find the Inventory from 1730 of a 6xg-gf even though the will doesn't exist.

Glen, thank you. I know what you mean, this hobby is addictive even if the ancestors are someone elses. I must admit I seem to spend a lot more time helping other people now than working on my own tree. Thank you again and please let me know if there is anything I can do to help with your research. Helen

Comment

JOY

I may be wrong but it looks like your Jesse is the son of Joseph who is Helen's David's older brother. They are both sons of Jesse Snr.
                                    Glen

Comment

Thank you, Helen and Glen.
                                      May I put you in contact, please, Helen with a Goodchild descendant? Okay if I send a PM?
                                      Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
                                        Thank you, Helen and Glen.
                                        May I put you in contact, please, Helen with a Goodchild descendant? Okay if I send a PM?

Joy thats fine, look forward to hearing from you, it may be that its someone I'm already in contact with. Helen

Comment

• Originally posted by Helen in Bucks View Post
                                          Joy thats fine, look forward to hearing from you, it may be that its someone I'm already in contact with. Helen

I have sent an email to him, Helen, asking him to look at this.
                                          Joy

Comment

Working...
                                          X