New National Library of Scotland service - a game changer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New National Library of Scotland service - a game changer

From their blog. This could be a terrific service for those who cannot attend the library in person. There’s no indication of the cost to the user though. I would be amazed if this was free.

Looks amazing... a personal Zoom service! Seems you have to be resident in Scotland though

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
      Looks amazing... a personal Zoom service! Seems you have to be resident in Scotland though

Anne
      Now that is a big fly in the ointment. I had thought that it would be a great help to those across the world to see old records relevant to their Scots ancestors.

Comment

They give these examples for using the service:
        We would also need to know if you unable to visit the reading rooms due to disability, long-term health conditions, or caring responsibilities.

Distance isn't listed as a reason?

Comment

It has been posted on an FB page by someone who has used the service that there is no cost at all for the Zoom session. If you ask for printed / scanned copies of something found be sent to you then obviously there is a charge for that. The poster said she has had two sessions now and both were positive experiences.
          I have also found out that the service had been in beta testing since April.

Comment

PhotoFamily Someone has posted that they tried to join from New Zealand but was rejected as not resident in Scotland.
            Sorry it has not turned out to be the gem that I thought it would be.

UPDATE: The person who posted about having had two sessions lives in Perth, WA so how come it won’t allow another Australian and a New Zealander to do the same?? Very confusing. I have pm’d her via FB asking how she did it.
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 29-07-23, 22:33.

Comment

Ha! She obviously just said she lived in Perth!
              Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                Ha! She obviously just said she lived in Perth!
                Anne
                Never thought of that!

Comment

Still no answer to my pm and the question has been asked by another person in the FB group but answer comes there none… The person has reiterated though that she has joined and had two sessions at 5pm Australia time / 10am UK time.

Comment

Working...
                  X