No announcement yet.

Research Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But the marriage cert which I am virtually 100% certain is for the same people has them Smith and Smith.

Marriages Jun 1912
    Ball Lily Mundy Dursley 6a 593
    Mundy Victor G E Ball Dursley 6a 593
    SMITH Clara K Smith Dursley 6a 593 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Smith Harry T Smith Dursley 6a 593 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So, I'm afraid as the birth cert hasn't been helpful, you are going to have to see what's on the marriage cert. Apart from anything else (ie father's details), the witnesses to the marriage might possibly give you the breakthrough you need.

Don't forget, Clara's death cert may tell you where she was born, which could also be very useful.

Comment

On a copy off Clara & Harry marriage certificate to which my mum had a photo copy off. The wittness's names are down as :- Edith E Smith & Thomas Nicholls.

Her fathers details are down as :- Albert Smith (Deceased)
      Last edited by tivvyblue; 26-10-08, 10:56.

Comment

Oh yes, sorry, I forgot you had that and that his name was Albert Smith.

Hmmmm....I'd say you need the death cert to see what is said about her place of birth on there. It may sound like a lot of money to crack one problem, but it's not as if the certs you have got are for the wrong people, so if you carry on with family history they are things you might like to have eventually, just that you need them sooner rather than later!

Sounds like some sort of step parent arrangement for Clara. Or that her mother was unmarried when Clara was born and only married Albert Smith (be he Clara's real father or not) after Clara's birth. There are lots of possible scenarios.

Comment

Acording to mum Clara died roughly 5/6 December 1975/76. I have had a look but not with much luck. I will keep on trying, if anyone can find her please do.

Comment

Originally posted by tivvyblue View Post
            Acording to mum Clara died roughly 5/6 December 1975/76. I have had a look but not with much luck. I will keep on trying, if anyone can find her please do.
            .. but you said earlier you had found her?

I have looked this up and have come accross a Clara Kate Wyatt onthe death records. The records are in death 1975 Q4
            Elaine

Comment

Aparantly Clara remarried after her husband died. Her new married name was WYATT, and she died december 1975.

I have looked this up and have come accross a Clara Kate Wyatt onthe death records. But as you look at it, it states date of birth. The records are in death 1975 Q4.
              You have already found her death earlier (see above).
              It's in the 4th quarter of 1975 as you said and it gives her date of birth as 21.12.87

Oops - just seen Elaines post. My computer is on a go slow and it took ages to go through. Sorry.
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 26-10-08, 15:07.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

You are both correct - sorry. Keep up to date is harder than I thought. As most people I am looking for more than one person.

Thankyou

Comment

Looking at Edith E Smith the witness there is a Smith family in North Nibley, Dursley in 1871
                  Rg10, P:2592, F:54, P:17 with Edith E born c 1864 and Albert E W born c1869 as sister and brother. This Albert would have been 18 when Clara Kate was born.
                  Margaret

Comment

Birth record
                    Albert Edward W Smith
                    Year of Registration: 1869
                    Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
                    District: Dursley
                    County: Gloucestershire, Wiltshire
                    Volume: 6a
                    Page: 217
                    Margaret

Comment

The plot thickens.

I have now got the birth certificates of Muriel EK Smith & Ronald Thomas Smith, and on the certificate under name of mother it says, Clara Kate Smith formerly Cook (on both certificates)

Also I now have Clara Kate Wyatt (remarried) deaths certificate and it states maiden name as Smith. So still do not seem to have any answears as to where the name Cook comes from, She was born in Bristol on the 21st December 1887 and passed away 1st December 1975 (Stroud,Gloucestershire)

Comment

What about the bible? Have you established any facts at all from that?

Here are some Clara Smith births for the right time frame in Gloucestershire (obviously we can only assume the dob is correct on the death cert at the moment)

Births Dec 1887
                        Smith Alice Clara M Stroud 6a 324
                        SMITH Clara Westbury S. 5a 235
                        SMITH Clara Eliza Gloucester 6a 260
                        SMITH Clara Evans Thornbury 6a 206

Births Mar 1888
                        SMITH Clara Newent 6a 271
                        SMITH Clara Barton R 6a 131

and some including the nam Kate:

Births Dec 1887
                        Smith Florence Kate Bristol 6a 24
                        Smith Kate Barton R. 6a 101

Births Mar 1888
                        SMITH Kate Elizabeth Chepstow 11a 3

There are no Clara Cook* births in Gloucestershire for those Qs

This is the only one with the name Kate in:

Births Mar 1888
                        COOKE Kate Rose Stroud 6a 328

I've forgotten now......Clara was your mother's grandmother? I don't suppose your mother remembers any great-aunts or uncles? (ie Clara's brothers or sisters?)

Comment

Working...
                        X