No announcement yet.

mccartie i have been stuck on this one for 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poop! I don't think they started birth certs in Ireland till 1860s.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

this is trevor,s grandad son of john,this is grandads army record ,not good to read as scanned.brenda xxx

Comment

In any case, he may not have come over on the boat with his parents or relatives, so even if you could find out who he came with, if anybody, it might not help. I do think it would be very useful to get a birth certificate for one of his children, and then John's marriage certificate.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Looking at the Cork site, there are a lot of baptism entries Johns with a surname of McCartie or variations of it born around 1846, but the Cork site only covers County Cork North and East at the moment, and your John was probably born in Cork (South) which hasn't gone online yet.
          KiteRunner

Comment

kite i have what i think is him1881 census dennis mccarthy 1878surrey he is a son,robert j,m mccarthy 1848,james m mccarthy 1880.

1891 adds a francis mccartie spelt the right way and a elizabeth 1883 ,edward 1886 ,headd is john mccartie 1849 and wife mary 1850 she was born in great stukeley,and the 1901 census is the same .....do you think this could be them as there was a francis,and robert trevors grandad.on the letter i have is from a r0bert to his brother when he was in the army.i have a good feeling brenda xxx

Comment

I think that is the right family Bren - the reference is the one I posted above in post #17

RG11; Piece: 815; Folio: 88; Page: 52
              Elaine

Comment

yes i cant beleive it it has paid of to keep going back i was about to give up.but i was hoping to find how he came here.i have found also that on the 1871 he is unmarried and living in st marylebone london,its got to be him.but i suppose i wont be able to go any further back?brendaxxx

Comment

Like I said before, Bren, if you can get a birth certificate for one of his children, it will tell you the mother's name, and then you will be able to get John's marriage certificate which will tell you his father's name and occupation, then hopefully when the Cork (South) site goes online you will be able to search on there for John's baptism.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

i hope so kite thankyou and thankyou all who have helped brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                    X