Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!! Proving my link to "fame"........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a snoop around a couple of Ancestry trees re the Waller surname and compared them to the site the GR contact has online.

No great suprises to find some huge differences, the names often match but death dates vary hugely, perhaps suprisingly none of them have anything in the Oxenburow family except the Charles Waller/ Sussanah Spooner-Oxenburow marriage in 1812.

Death dates for Susannah vary from pre 1837 to post 1860 but nothing is sourced, Charles seems consistent throughout, death being recorded in 1877.

What is suprising is that Maria is missing from two trees and confused with a sister in another (wrong sister married to wrong spouse......namely my 2xgrt g/f!!!)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Ive been reading this thread with intrest and just out of intrest are you trying to link your family in with Horatio Nelson's?

Danny
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

A former GR and FTF member links with my tree via the George Hay/Maria Waller marriage. George is my 2xgrt g/f and Maria is the grt grandaunt of the other person.

The Waller family link with Horatio Nelson in some form or other, that much i do know, what i don't know is how the connection arises.

I wouldn't link by blood just via the marriage (though one surname i have in another line did marry into a Walley family in the same area and that Walley family may actually be Waller looking at some stuff found here today)
        Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 18-09-08, 18:56.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Where did you get the information about the link, Glen? From the GR member?

Comment

Mary

We originally discovered the link whilst still on GR, it's Horatia (remember her?) and myself who link through the Hay/Waller connection.

I just wonder if it is a very convoluted link or something more straightforwards
            Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 18-09-08, 19:11.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Oh, yes, isn't she on GR any more?

Comment

Not any more, (neither am i though).

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Just found a rather curious piece of information. One of Lord Nelson's titles was Duca di Bronte (Duke of Bronte), a small town in Sicily.

I was curious about the name, and apparently Charlotte Bronte's father Patrick changed his name from Prunty/Brunty to Bronte because Nelson was a hero of his, and he also thought it sounded posher.

Comment

It might be worth your while investigating the Captain Waller who commanded the Emerald at the battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, where Nelson lost his arm. There are loads of references to him on Google, but I haven't found out where he came from.

Battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife (1797 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Comment

Thanks Mary

Fiddling with the searches today seems to have paid off, i have wangled a couple of other Norfolk results from freereg that i had struggled with before so it's been a good day really.

I will have a play with some searches and some of the names/details you have discovered for me, there are a few things i want to look into as they look quite promising.

Also thanks to Kiterunner for her help today too, much appreciated.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Scuse me! Scuse me!

My relative was on the Emerald and had his right arm amputated on the same day and right after Nelson! It is in the surgeon's log - Nelson first, James Holden next. Wound was dressed with flour to staunch a haemorrhage (both men)

(Just remember my connection Glen when you are claiming the Nelson millions)

OC

Comment

Do you realise OC - they could have used the same knife for both men?
                          You can't be closer connected than that we should have thought.
                          Sort of 'Blood Brother's'
                          Congratulations! We bow to your illustrious past.

Comment

*smirks modestly*

Oh, 'tis nothing really, a mere coincidence.

BUT - it solved a 200 year old mystery!!!! James Holden vanished from home, leaving behind a wife and two children. He was never seen again and his wife received permission from the Bishop to remarry as a deserted wife.

Lots of Holden researchers had wondered what had happened to him. I nearly fell down dead when I saw a photo of the surgeon's log in a book, and a very kind lady looked him up at Kew for me.

It was the same man. He had been pressganged on his way to market. He doesn't seem to have minded much as he served for nine years before being injured. He was discharged in Tenerife and received a pension for many years.

The surgeon's log is interesting and gives a diet sheet for BOTH men - weak tea, broth and meat soups.

Considering the conditions in which the surgeon must have operated, it is a miracle they both survived and it says a lot about his skill that they did. I also thought how fascinating they stopped the bleeding with flour - can you imagine the maggoty flour they must have had available? But it worked!

OC

Comment

Aren't they using maggots in hospitals again to eat infection??

OC....bet you didn't come across any Kirkbys there......they would have been sitting back home sweetly giving orders lol.

Comment

From a book I've read OC maggots only eat rotting flesh so they don't do any harm. (not that I want maggots crawling on me. uugh) Maybe flour helps stop things sticking to the wound.

Glen I'm not sure I'd be of any help today but I skipped to the end to see if there was any success yet. Good luck though
                                Kit

Comment

Waits for Heather to add some little snippet about an ancestor being on photographed/shipwrecked/owning the severed limb or something similiar.

Thinking about it i do have a rellie who was noted for designing and manufacturing surgical instruments in those early days, i have seen some pics of things he designed/made, all pretty gruesome and not for the faint hearted.
                                  Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 19-09-08, 15:17.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                                    Waits for Heather to add some little snippet about an ancestor being on photographed/shipwrecked/owning the severed limb or something similiar.
                                    I understand that James Holden's severed arm was passed down as an heirloom in the Holden-Horstead family, but shrank over the centuries to such an extent that it could only be put to use as a canine prosthesis...

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                      I understand that James Holden's severed arm was passed down as an heirloom in the Holden-Horstead family, but shrank over the centuries to such an extent that it could only be put to use as a canine prosthesis...
                                      Of course, how foolish of me to forget such a well documented story.........googles Holden+Horstead+Heirloom

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

You'll find that it was actually handed down from father to son as an aid to the family trait of nose-picking.
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

You'll all change your tune and be a bit more respectful when I feature in the first episode of

Who Do You Think You Are - the ordinary people (well, not really ordinary, but not a well-known celebrity until now

(That's WDYTYA -TOPWNROBNAWKCUN, for those who want to look out for it in the TV listings)

OC)

Comment

Working...
                                          X