No announcement yet.

Illegal relationships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone - its quite an eye opener isnt it. I should imagine its not just the - incestuous aspect but may be some time back it was intended as a discouragement for a jealous sibling to remove or arrange the removal of the spouse who was an obstacle to his desire? (for instance the Biblical David sending his lovers wife into battle assured that he would meet death)
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 12-09-08, 16:03.

Comment

Deceased wife's sister was (I understand) all about discouraging people from marrying a rich (or well-insured) woman, killing her off for her money and then marrying her poor but lovely sister. But maybe I'm just a cynic/softie.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        well, it never stopped henry VIII and catherine of aragon
        Sounds so simple, unfortunately the Pope refused to allow the marriage to Anne Boleyn. So Henry had to use Cardinal Wolsey this eventually led to the order for the execution of Wolsey. As things turned out Wolsey died before this could happen.
        It was not until after a number of Acts of Parliament that Henry managed to marry Anne Boleyn in secret.

If Henry VIII had been a commoner it most certainly would have prevented the marriage.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
        X