Researching possible hereditary illness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update;

another negative today, the coroners office can find no records, but after contacting the path lab at wexham park on the advise of the coroner, without any luck,i find that my mums hospital number is still on the computer screen.
    i was also informed that i should have been offered genetic screening as soon as it was available, if that had been the case i might not be putting the future health of my own children at risk.

many thanks to you all who offered words of encouragement and tips on where to look next.

best wishes to you all
    sue

Comment

And best wishes to you and your family Sue.

I had friends that lived in Iver Lane back in the 1980s.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Keep digging Sue. You have already discovered things are not as they are officially described or stated - your mum's hospital number should no longer be on any screen if her records have been destroyed.

OC

Comment

where?

thank you for all of your kind words.
          i just dont know where to dig anymore, every time i get my hopes up they are dashed even further than before?

sue

Comment

If you are looking for a hereditary disease have you looked sideways for any other evidence? What about your grandparents, your mothers siblings, cousins, aunts or uncles. Is there anything that is evident there?

If you suspect that she had something that is or will affect your generation then you are looking at a dominant condition, so one of her parents must have had the same thing for her to have inherited it.

What did your grandperents die of? How many siblings did your mother have?
            On average if there is a dominant gene in a family you would expect that 50% of the offspring will be affected. So there must be other evidence of the disease in the extended family.

If the disease is recessive then the sufferer must inherit 2 abnormal genes, one from each parent who will be unaffected. Recessive disorders are much less common because 2 carriers of the disorder must meet and produce children. If this is the case then for your generation to be affected by the abnormal gene then your father must also carry the gene.
            Christine
            Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
            Mary Jean Iron

Comment

iversue

I would go back to the Area Health Authority, armed with your mum's hospital number and ask them to tell you WHEN EXACTLY her records were destroyed.

I feel this might be better done in writing as they are bound to answer you, and will have to be careful about what they say in black and white, rather than a brush off on the phone.

You may get a bit further once they realise you aren't going to go away.

OC

Comment

many thanks for the last two listings.
                1/ my mum had one brother who died aged 45 of a heart attack,her mum had a stroke in her 50's and died, her dad was killed in world war 2,her great grand father was killed in world war 1.
                i know there is diabetes on both sides of my family but thats about all i know.
                2/ have contacted the m. p for slough,i was asked what i expected her to do, so i said more than i can.
                she will have a (FELLOW) take a look around and let me know.
                i am still going to search for records but i think its getting less likely that i will find any.
                many thanks
                sue

Comment

When the research chappie gets back to you, tell him you are getting the feeling there is a cover-up going on - they love that and will redouble their efforts.

OC

Comment

cover up

hi
                    to be honest i am sure there is some sort of cover up, i just didnt like to say
                    for fear of upsetting anyone.

i am sure the diagnosis was wrong and things were covered up after that,
                    sue

Comment

Working...
                    X