Looking for Army Discharge papers???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Army Discharge papers???

I'm looking for the discharge papers of my 3x great-grandfather, James C. Glennon. He was born around 1816 (could be a few years off though) and he was from Westmeath, Ireland. Although the birth place could be listed as Massachusetts instead since it's where he'd immigrated to. He was discharged at King Fort, Florida.

I do have the link to his enlistment papers though: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJD5-5LR2

Based on that, my best guess is that he fought in the Seminole Wars?? It says his regiment was "2 Inf D" which would be 2nd Infantry, Company D. Also, following that is "P.O. Aug 26th/52" but not sure what means.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

*Sigh* I answered this once, but it didn't store -

The Enlistment record is for the US Army Enlistment of Soldiers. The register indicates he entered the 2nd Regiment, Company D. This is likely to be the Regiment:

"Companies A, D, G and H were sent to Tampa Bay, Fla., from their northern stations the next year, arriving September 21; and in September 1838, regimental headquarters and the four companies then at Hancock Barracks were also sent there. The entire regiment was now concentrated in Florida and all the companies were most actively engaged in this most arduous duty until the close of hostilities in the spring of 1842."

That seems to be consistent with what we know about your man. The register also has his discharge info. I doubt there's more info available about his discharge, but I could easily be wrong about that.

FamilySearch's wiki can be a useful source of where-to-look:

which led me to:

no Massachusetts listed.

* All U.S. Army Indian Campaign Service Records Index, 1815-1858 results for Glennon - this search on ancestry returned no matches

I hope someone here can recommend a military forum. You're much more likely to find an expert to assist with your questions. Wish I could figure out who I went to for the info I got. I'll keep trying to figure that out.

Comment

Here's the forum I went to for my grandfather's Signal Corps service in WWI - I had wonderful help

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
        *Sigh* I answered this once, but it didn't store -

The Enlistment record is for the US Army Enlistment of Soldiers. The register indicates he entered the 2nd Regiment, Company D. This is likely to be the Regiment:

"Companies A, D, G and H were sent to Tampa Bay, Fla., from their northern stations the next year, arriving September 21; and in September 1838, regimental headquarters and the four companies then at Hancock Barracks were also sent there. The entire regiment was now concentrated in Florida and all the companies were most actively engaged in this most arduous duty until the close of hostilities in the spring of 1842."

That seems to be consistent with what we know about your man. The register also has his discharge info. I doubt there's more info available about his discharge, but I could easily be wrong about that.

FamilySearch's wiki can be a useful source of where-to-look:

which led me to:

no Massachusetts listed.

* All U.S. Army Indian Campaign Service Records Index, 1815-1858 results for Glennon - this search on ancestry returned no matches

I hope someone here can recommend a military forum. You're much more likely to find an expert to assist with your questions. Wish I could figure out who I went to for the info I got. I'll keep trying to figure that out.
        Well, that's why I posted to a separate forum because that's what you had advised me to do...

Ah, thank you so much for this! So apparently it wasn't the Seminole Wars after all. I had assumed so because of his location but what you found seems to be correct with the info on him there is! I'll start researching this and see what I can find. And like you said, there may be no more information on him past his enlistment papers.

I'll try to do some digging and see what I can find on what wars were going on at that time period - maybe there's something I'm overlooking...

Comment

Here's the forum I went to for my grandfather's Signal Corps service in WWI - I had wonderful help
          http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/forums
          Ah, thank you for this! I'll try to post this question there and see if anyone can help me out!

Comment

Originally posted by StarQueen View Post
            Well, that's why I posted to a separate forum because that's what you had advised me to do...
            Sorry, what I meant was - I had tried to post an answer to this (very same) thread, but must not have pressed "save", so it didn't store, and I had to rewrite the answer that I thought I had posted! It actually worked out better, because I found a different resource

Also, some history forums are not very, uhm, friendly with genealogists. You might need a tough skin when you post there - but the person who helped me with my research was very willing and knowledgeable.

Not sure that this regiment wasn't involved with the 2nd Seminole War?

"To bolster the effort south of Fort King, the Army sent the Eighth Infantry Regiment to Florida. The Army in Florida now included ten companies of the Second Dragoon, nine companies of the Third Artillery, and the First, Second, Third, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Infantry Regiments."
            I think that's consistent with your man?

Also, one other source I read said that the 2nd Regiment Infantry was kept on the move most of the time that they were in Florida.
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 22-12-19, 00:50.

Comment

Sorry, what I meant was - I had tried to post an answer to this (very same) thread, but must not have pressed "save", so it didn't store, and I had to rewrite the answer that I thought I had posted! It actually worked out better, because I found a different resource

Also, some history forums are not very, uhm, friendly with genealogists. You might need a tough skin when you post there - but the person who helped me with my research was very willing and knowledgeable.

Not sure that this regiment wasn't involved with the 2nd Seminole War?

"To bolster the effort south of Fort King, the Army sent the Eighth Infantry Regiment to Florida. The Army in Florida now included ten companies of the Second Dragoon, nine companies of the Third Artillery, and the First, Second, Third, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Infantry Regiments."
              I think that's consistent with your man?

Also, one other source I read said that the 2nd Regiment Infantry was kept on the move most of the time that they were in Florida.
              Ohh, okay, I see! My apologies then, I misunderstood you.

Oh really? Huh. Hahaha well, I guess I can say one thing for that - I've found some difficult-to-get-along with people over the years I had to work with for genealogy purposes so I'm allll good there haha! :D

Wow, yeah that sounds about right actually! Huh. I just can't understand why he wouldn't be listed anywhere amongst those registered with the Seminole Wars - clearly that's what he was apart of, according to what you found though! Ohhh - well maybe that's why right there then. Maybe they moved around so much that not all of them were always taken a consensus of! It would explain why we can't find him among the records at least!

I wish I knew more to figure this out but there's just not a lot of info on James that I knew of. I do know one thing though - his father-in-law, Catlett James Atkins, was a translator for the Native Americans in Georgia. Here's an excerpt I found:
              "CJ, Harriet and family, Robert G. Atkins as well as the Chapman brothers moved to the Creek Nation by 1845-1846. They moved to North Fork Town as merchants and opened a well -stocked large store. The Gold Rush brought prosperity in 1849."
              Harriet was Catlett's wife and was a Chapman prior to marriage so the others must have been her siblings. Maybe the connection that James C. had with the Native Americans was how he met Catlett? I'm not sure if any info could be gleaned there or not though because I have no idea if any records would have even been taken in Creek Nation - not to mention that a lot of county records were destroyed in the fire...

Comment

Working...
              X