Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have tips on research in Africa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
    It is possible that Ewart amended his name while in South Africa and married twice more.

Original marriage to Alice:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...A1%3A6ZHR-P7JQ

Marriage 2, having now become Ewart Devonport St John Morley-Jepson

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...A1%3AQG15-6QKX

and marriage 3

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...A1%3A6ZC9-QD9D

Ewart and Beatrice had a child, Revel Warwick in 1930

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...235&cc=1468076

who married in 1954

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...A1%3A8PRX-RM2M

Mavis Barbara died in South Africa in 1999, and it looks like Revel Warwick died in 2010. This is all I could find on his death, also in South Africa. Maybe if you join that database it would give you more information

https://www.gendatabase.com/estate-r...=MORLEY-JEPSON
    wow good work, have to say if you are going to change your name then why not add lots more makes him sound very important!
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Try Googling "Morley-Jepson". This brings up a lot of hits, most from South Africa. A number of them are for a man with the same first name as one of names of Ewart's son, so quite likely to be a relation.
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Could be worth searching around and messaging a few by that name!
        Dave - you could check public trees for Ewart Morley Jepson, see if anyone else is researching him/relatives. If the user name is same or similar to Ben's, you may have found him.

Websites with public trees that I can think of - Ancestry (which may have both public and private-but-indexed trees), WikiTree.com, familysearch.org (familytree), MyHeritage. Those sites can be searched without paying (tho MH is confusing on that issue?). I know others here use additional sites, too.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

Dave - you could check public trees for Ewart Morley Jepson, see if anyone else is researching him/relatives. If the user name is same or similar to Ben's, you may have found him.

Websites with public trees that I can think of - Ancestry (which may have both public and private-but-indexed trees), WikiTree.com, familysearch.org (familytree), MyHeritage. Those sites can be searched without paying (tho MH is confusing on that issue?). I know others here use additional sites, too.
          This could possibly be him on MyHeritage

Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

this is the same guy https://www.facebook.com/bcmbackhouse
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

love it when ftf comes together to solve puzzles...

Comment

OK we're getting there folks! Managed to get in touch with Ben and have got some more information from him so we're piecing things together. Still not got anything past early 1930's and keen to find death record but this seems rather elusive. Definitely an interesting one. 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Davey_b View Post
                  OK we're getting there folks! Managed to get in touch with Ben and have got some more information from him so we're piecing things together. Still not got anything past early 1930's and keen to find death record but this seems rather elusive. Definitely an interesting one. 😁
                  good news you made contact

you have the likely marriage in 1937 that ozgirl posted
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

OK, think I've managed to track down a living relative in South Africa and I've had email contact with them and we're hopefully going to have a chat on the phone next week. Very exciting and should hopefully help me fill in some blanks. Thanks for all the help and encouragement with this one folks. I have at least one other relative I'm stuck (from a totally different part of my tree) with and will likely ask you guys for some help with in due course.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey_b View Post
                      OK, think I've managed to track down a living relative in South Africa and I've had email contact with them and we're hopefully going to have a chat on the phone next week. Very exciting and should hopefully help me fill in some blanks. Thanks for all the help and encouragement with this one folks. I have at least one other relative I'm stuck (from a totally different part of my tree) with and will likely ask you guys for some help with in due course.
                      good luck, hope they come up trumps.

look forward to hearing from you again.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Hi folks. I talked to the descendant of Ewart Morley Jepson today in South Africa but unfortunately they don't have any information on him. They weren't told much about him.
                        So the question I have now really is what happened to him after 1937 when I have the last record for him of his 3rd marriage? He definitely seems to have been using the name Ewart Devanport St John Morley-Jepson with the "Morley-Jepson" being his surname from the late 1920's. Is anyone able to help shed light on what happened to him and even find a death record for him?

Comment

Do you know why they don't know, did they fall out, or died before they were around? or left the country?
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

He left his wife to raise a young child and don't think was seen of again. Seems to be becoming a familiar story.

Comment

it is interesting that his sister had so much money in her will when it wasn't in the value of her property wondered if he died and left it all to his sister or something strange.

have you spoken to her descendants
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                it is interesting that his sister had so much money in her will when it wasn't in the value of her property wondered if he died and left it all to his sister or something strange.

have you spoken to her descendants
                                Yeah that is interesting. I don't think he left her money but it's certainly possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X