No announcement yet.

Family History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going by all the chilfren's names, Esther's maiden name GRIFFITHS. Got some in baptisms on FMP and some on familysearch.

There is one marriage that fits. William is a labourer;

William
    Parry
    -
    Marriage
    12 Jul 1827
    Llanelly
    -
    -
    Brecon, St Mary
    Breconshire
    Wales
    Esther
    Griffiths
    -
    St. Mary's
    -
    -
    Breconshire Marriages And Banns
    Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
    Marriages & divorces
    Wales, Great Britain

Comment

Bed calls. That should give you a lot to go on if we're are indeed on the right track. I would order the 1900 marriage and the 1875 birth if you don't have them already.

I'd go local if you can. Here is the local office reference for Elizabeth.
      Child Surname Child Forename Mother's Former Name Year District Office Register Entry
      PARRY Elizabeth Sarah 1875 Forest of Dean Monmouth, Coleford 32 144

Comment

Hi all

Many thanks for all your very helpful and thoughtful replies. Yes, I did get the census date wrong. It was 1891 in the Gloucester Hempstead District. The head of house was a Michael J Vickridge and he was a brick maker. Elizabeth S was aged 14 and the place of birth was definately Blakeney. It could be her! I think it said that too in one of the other census documents when she was livng with George and the children. Maybe I've got that worong.

She had three children with George. Mary Eleanor Wheeler born 20 Aug 1901 in Whitland Monmouthshire. She was my grandmother. The others were Muriel F and John Henry George who came later. I have a baptisim record for my grandmother so I know her parents were indeed Elizabeth Sarah Parry and George Francis Wheeler.

For a long time I thought Elizabeth's parents were Thomas Parry and Emma Bamford both born in Gloucesteshire but when I looked further into it, the dates in the census don't tally and I think that family moved to Warwickshire at some stage.

The death record is interesting as I had a feeling Elizabeth moved back to Gloucester when George died. It would have been a tied property for railway workers they lived in and after his death the family would have had to leave. Interesting though my grandmother Mary Eleanor married in Exeter in Oct 1919 to my my Irish grandfather who was working there at the time. Their first child Violet Margaret Isabella Black was born
        in June 1920 in Gloucester and the family lived there briefly before moving to Tyrone and then Belfast in 1921/22.

I wonder if they woud appear on any of the Gloucester street directories for that period, I'll try to access these.

Thanks again

Comment

A bit of progress. That Lilian Betty Martha Wheeler born July 1911 in Exeter was indeed the child of Elizabeth S and George F. So sad that he died when she was only 3 monts old. I wonder what he died off. I found an outward passenger list for 1925 London to Sydney Aust and guess what.....Lilian and her mother Elizabeth were on it. The address was given as Budleigh Salteron Devon and Elizabeth was a cook. Her other daughter Muriel had emigrated there a few years earlier with her son who had been born out of wedlock and I did hear from another researcher some time ago that she married on board ship to avoid 'complications' once she arrived in Australia. So why did my grandparents move back to Gloucester when they married in 1919? Family fall out?? None of this was ever talked about when I was a child.

Comment

I think Monmouth is right. That's where the children where born too. So William Parry is the father and Ester Griffith the mother, have I got that right?

Comment

It's all getting very interesting. Just spotted in notice in Canberra Times 1992 regarding Lilian Betty Maude. Someone looking for her relatives. I missed it LOl !!

Comment

isn't it great when it all falls into place;)

Comment

Working...
                X