No announcement yet.

Can anybody please read this address?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just found an area called Oakham/Oakam in Tower Hamlets - it seems to be an area but bound to be a road also named Oakham/Oakam.

Comment

If anyone fancies a trawl this is an A-Z link to London Streets in the 1891 census -

Can anyone tell me what area it would say please, as I can't seem to find any that say Tower Hamlets.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks all. Sorry, I had to log off early last night.

Chrissie, that looks interesting. She always listed her birth place as St George in the East and I just checked the address on her birth certificate (sorry, I should have done that first!) and the address given is 36 John Street, St George in the East. You don't suppose the baptism record says 'John'?

If so, I'm really sorry to have wasted your time!
        :D Charney Jo

Comment

Not sure why she wasn't baptised in st George in the East though

Comment

Originally posted by Charney Jo View Post
            Thanks all. Sorry, I had to log off early last night.

Chrissie, that looks interesting. She always listed her birth place as St George in the East and I just checked the address on her birth certificate (sorry, I should have done that first!) and the address given is 36 John Street, St George in the East. You don't suppose the baptism record says 'John'?

If so, I'm really sorry to have wasted your time!
            comparing the JOHN with a fathers name of John on the same page it looks very likely that is what it says :smilee:
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              comparing the JOHN with a fathers name of John on the same page it looks very likely that is what it says :smilee:
              Me too
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Christ Church, Watney Street IS in St George-in-the-East so she would rightly say that was her birthplace. There are several churches within St George in the East parish
                No need to be sorry, but I'm blowed if I can find John St on that map....yet!
                Kat

Comment

Thanks all :o. I could have sworn it was an 'a' or actually anything other than 'J'! It only occurred to me when I saw the house number was right....

Comment

Kat

Looking at the Charles Booth Survey Notebooks there is a Little John Street and a Johnson Street. Although the list that Chrissie linked to does have a John Street, St Mary, ST GEORGE IN THE EAST. Hmm...

Comment

Yes, I saw the Johnson and Little John ones but no John :(

By Googling, nothing brings up John Street, St Mary, ST GEORGE IN THE EAST
                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 08-01-16, 17:14.
                      Kat

Comment

Could be ocean street
                        Lorraine

Comment

I'm very disappointed. I have spent all evening going through the Charles Booths notebooks. I cannot find a John Street in the St George in the East area! Grrrr.....

Comment

This link may explain why you cannot find the Road - the area is now in Stepney it would appear:

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                              Me too
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Sue, I did seem to cover a lot of Stepney. I might have another try tonight...

Comment

Quite a lot of development has taken place in the East of London - it is quite possible John Street (?) no longer exists. Also lot of bombing in WW2. An old map will probably show it if, indeed, it is John Street (I think it does look as though it may be).

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                                    This link may explain why you cannot find the Road - the area is now in Stepney it would appear:

http://www.stgite.org.uk/history.html
                                    We are looking at an old map Sue - it must be there somewhere see HERE
                                    Kat

Comment

It also doesn't help me find eithe Edward and Eliza in the 1881 census or Mary Ann Elizabeth and Eliza (and possibly Edward) in the 1891 census.

By her marriage in 1905, Mary Ann Elizabeth was living in Bermondsey. So, just across the river

Comment

Aha, found it. Your new posting of the link to the maps took us straight there!

To the west of Canon Street and north of the Coal Depot on the old map, Cable Street in the new map!

OK, now how do I check that area for the 1881 census?
                                        Last edited by Charney Jo; 09-01-16, 20:54.

Comment

Hmm. Ok found John Street, St George in the East in the 1881 census. At no 36 there are no Wiliams, but one family does have an unmarried daughter listed as Elizabeth (Tarling)...

http://http://interactive.ancestry.c...1_451_452-0255
                                          Last edited by Charney Jo; 09-01-16, 21:27.

Comment

Working...
                                          X