No announcement yet.

Looking for Woodger's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know approx. what year the postcard was sent? Also, why would it be addressed to her/his mother rather than him or the father?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

why would it be addressed to her/his mother rather than him or the father
      Now thats a good question which is easily answered I have 2 cards and a old envelope with names and addresses on ....i think i got a little confused 25/3 1927 card from little Florrie to Uncle Frank addressed to F Challis (same address ) 7/5/1926 to R Challis post card from Edith to her mum and finally letter dated 1947 to R Challis at same address

(note to myself pay more attention in future )

Comment

I am a little confused

I have found a person by the name of Woodger in Leatherhead phone books whose birth entry shows mother's maiden name was Budd. There is a marriage of Jack WOODGER to Gwendoline J R BUDD in Q3 1936. Her entry gives spouse's surname as Smith or Woodger suggesting Jack was officially SMITH but took his "adoptive" parents surname of WOODGER . Both Gwendoline and Jack appear to be deceased - Jack in March 1975 aged 58, Gwendoline in July 1987 aged 70 both Surrey Mid Eastern.
        on the free BMD search there are 5 children 2 of those children mentioned one was born a year before either parents were born and the other when the parents were 3 years old ?

Comment

It is sounding promising for the family I found then Woodge. Brother Frank got married in 1927 (possible reason for card), mother's name began with R and father died in 1947 (possible reason for letter).
          Please let us know when the marriage cert arrives and we can help you properly.

Comment

Originally posted by woodge View Post
            I am a little confused

on the free BMD search there are 5 children 2 of those children mentioned one was born a year before either parents were born and the other when the parents were 3 years old ?
            You are looking at ALL the Woodger-Budd births though. The first two are presumably from another Woodger-Budd marriage in 1902 Kingston.

p.s. There are 6 birth showing, not 5. Two possibly from the other marriage and four possibles from 'yours'.
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 30-12-15, 09:24.

Comment

and four possibles from 'yours'.
              yes they are 100% mine as i do remember meeting them as a child , i moved 500 miles away so i never stayed in touch :(

and thanks as soon as i get the birth cert i'll post more details ......and thanks again

Comment

I assume you mean the marriage cert (not birth) of Alfred Henry Lewis Woodger to Edith Challis. As it's Edith Challis father you want to establish isn't it?

Comment

Yes your right , sorry thats what i meant Happy New Yew to everyone when it comes

Comment

Happy New Year and look forward to the arrival of the marriage cert.

Comment

If helpful, there was a Peter Woodger who owned a wharf at Otterham Creek in Kent. The wharf called Woodger's Wharf is currently for sale after his death last year.

Mike

Upchurch
                      Mike Gunnill

http://www.upchurch-village.co.uk

Upchurch, Kent. UK.

Comment

at last.........the marriage cert arrives well edith's father was George Theophilus Challis .......shouldnt be hard to find with a middle name like that
                        Last edited by woodge; 13-01-16, 14:34.

Comment

The 1911 census gives –
                          George Theopollus Challis 51 – Roseanna 48 – Fred 20 – Harry 17 – Edie 14 – Frank Ernest 12 – Alice Kate 9.
                          It says - All born Rede Suffolk apart from Roseanna, who was born Chevington, suffolk.
                          Married 29 years, 8 children born, all still living.

Comment

After a search and excluding other possibilities, the most likely possible marriage seems to be of a Rose Death to a George Challis in March 1882 Thingoe 4a 663. I'm concerned though because there are no second names. That marriage, appears to be on FMP (doing a free search). I haven't got FMP, so I can't look at it.
                            There are possible deaths for both of them in Bury St Edmunds Suffolk, but the age of Rose is a bit out on the census and the death. The most likely birth for her would be Rose Ann Death June 1865 - Thetford 4b 412. On the death of Rose A Challis though it gives her birth as about 1862. I suppose she may have lied about her age if she was only about 17 when she got married.
                            You would need Edith's birth certificate though to find out the name of her mother before marriage.

Comment

There's a birth reg in Q1 1860 in Thingoe of a George Theophilus Challis, 4a, 466.

STG
                              Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

[QUOTE]Fred 20 – Harry 17 – Edie 14 – Frank Ernest 12 – Alice Kate 9./QUOTE] thanks my Gran Edith was often called Edie so I'm assuming thats her born in 1896 ( can't be anyone else really ) great info thanks again

Comment

Working...
                                X