1939 register

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
    wonderful news but did you scroll down and see the price to renew world when it runs out ? I dont really understand it as it says its only available to new members?
    Looks like a rise in the cost of the world sub is coming in for new subscribers to take account of the 1939 reg being included presumably - what they are offering is a discounted rate (the current sub - 10%) for existing subscribers if you auto-renew.

I renewed my World sub a few weeks ago when they had a 75% discount offer, so paid a lot less. All these sites constantly make offers so prices may change a lot before my renewal comes up.
    Last edited by AntonyM; 20-01-16, 16:21.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Its not just the World sub. I've had a similar email to say it wil be included in my Britain sub as of 16th February.
      Jackie

Comment

Me too. Roll on 16th February! I thought it would come in the end but not so soon. I had not even looked at it at all, not having any 'vital' lookups to do. However I'm sure I can play happily for hours if its on my sub. It was only renewed in mid December and I only paid £89.55.
        Anne

Comment

I was really lucky and have world for $49.88 dollars starting 16 Feb so well pleased.

Comment

I am not so pleased having splashed out on credits just a few weeks ago and on 16th Feb I will get free access but I have looked up most of the relevant people already. If I had known this was coming I would have waited.
            People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
            Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

yes its a shame I agree ,I held back because of the price glad I did now.

Comment

Likewise I had an email today. I am currently subscribed under FMP.ie, I don't know how but still! I renewed my sub when it was offered paying by Us$ at a very cheap rate and it was added onto my existing world wide membership so I'm signed up now until 2017- but my question is will I still be eligible to see the 1939 register? I haven't looked at it at all yet but will certainly do so if I can after 16Feb! Hope someone can tell me the answer!
                Caroline

Comment

yes you should be able to great isn't it ?

Comment

My email also said that my subscription would be extended by 3 days because of the free offer this coming weekend
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

yes me too they certainly are getting better at keeping us happy.;)

Comment

Considering that it was released only a couple of months ago, I'm frankly amazed at how soon FMP are including the 1939 register in their standard subs. I can't see how they can possibly have recouped much of their outlay in such a short time, even though the register was over-priced and over-hyped at the time! Maybe the take-up has been less than they expected (possibly due to the high cost of credits), and they feel it has more value as a lure for potential customers to their subscription services. I'm really glad now that I decided not to spend money on credits for this, but instead to make do with the free index information until full access became available on subscription. I was expecting to have to wait at least a year, as we did with the 1911 census, but looks now as if we'll have it next month. Great, because I've already got a list of 400 records to check, based on info I've gleaned from the free index!

Comment

I think the 1939 is like anything else which is new and has an untested value. You market it at top dollar and see what happens. If there's not much take up, you drop the price and that is what has happened here.

From what I have heard it is a poorly presented dataset with many mistakes on it and a cheap (well, free!)way of getting those mistakes corrected is to let the subscribers do it.

It has been no use as a source for me as I know where everyone was in 1939. I suspect that is the same for many researchers.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            I think the 1939 is like anything else which is new and has an untested value. You market it at top dollar and see what happens. If there's not much take up, you drop the price and that is what has happened here.

From what I have heard it is a poorly presented dataset with many mistakes on it and a cheap (well, free!)way of getting those mistakes corrected is to let the subscribers do it.

It has been no use as a source for me as I know where everyone was in 1939. I suspect that is the same for many researchers.

OC
                            The problem is many who have complained of errors on the 1939 have not even looked at the original image to see if in fact the transcript is in error or faithfully records what the register shows.

Many of the new generations of genealogists seem to think a transcriber should use other sources to correct information given to census and the 1939 Register.
                            But that is not really surprising as many of those same "researchers" are the ones who do not understand what records record.

Cheers
                            Guy
                            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Guy

I understand what you are saying, but some of the errors are definitely in the transcription and do not record what the image says

I was once present at an LDS history centre when an elderly woman desperately tried to get the manager to "correct" the parish register which showed her parents marrying only five months before her birth. She insisted it was wrong, despite the fact that it appeared in exactly the right place in the original register and hadn't been fiddled about with. The manager showed her the entry in the GRO indexes and she said that was wrong too. People's fondly held BELIEFS about their family very often get in the way of the truth.

OC

Comment

Thing is, Guy - at £6 a pop to check the original image, I don't think many people will bother - they will just assume that it's the transcription that's in error in most cases. Maybe that's unjustified, however now that we are going to get unlimited access to the 1939 included with our FMP subs, I guess we'll be able to make a more informed assessment as to the accuracy of the transcriptions!

Of the nearly 400 records that I have found in the index so far that are relevant to my research, around 8% of the names contain errors compared with what I expected them to be. Sure, some of these will be errors in the original records but also many are obvious transcription errors ("Acver" for Hover, "Warcham" for Wareham, "Cathcpole" for Catchpole, etc). Also I have several examples where it seems that the columns have been misaligned, so that the birth dates have been assigned to the next (or previous) person on the page. I understand that this was a consequence of the way the records were transcribed (i.e. by column rather than by record). No doubt these sorts of errors are part of the reason why so many names that should be there can't be found. Even after finding many mistranscribed names as mentioned above, I'm still missing around 5% of people who I know "should" be on there! Anyway, I'm looking forward to Feb 16th, as with unlimited access it is obviously going to be possible to check many more images and hopefully track down some of those elusive mispers!

Cheers,
                                Richard

Comment

Has anybody read anywhere whether the 1939 register will be included in the library edition on Feb 16th?
                                  DGJay

Comment

I haven't got a sub, but would consider whatever the one cheaper than world is if it's going to include the 1939 register. Does anyone know for sure whether it will include it or not please?
                                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie read post 22 from Jackie looks like it is available to the UK sub too.

Comment

I have been looking at this USA half price offer (link below). It's for USA and Canada, but having read what it includes it says 'not the 1939 register'. I wonder if this was because it wasn't when the offer was made, or whether it still won't be available with a USA and Canada subscription? I am now unsure what to do and I believe one or two of the member took it up too, so I wonder if they will get the 1939 register in Feb?
                                        Subscribe to Findmypast to explore millions of historical records. Find out more about our different membership options and subscribe to Findmypast today.
                                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                          I have been looking at this USA half price offer (link below). It's for USA and Canada, but having read what it includes it says 'not the 1939 register'. I wonder if this was because it wasn't when the offer was made, or whether it still won't be available with a USA and Canada subscription? I am now unsure what to do and I believe one or two of the member took it up too, so I wonder if they will get the 1939 register in Feb?
                                          https://www.findmypast.com/Pay?vouch...e&utm_campaign
                                          Chrissie, what you are looking at is a World subscription - not US & Canada. Look at the tabs at the top of the page - the WORLD tab is the one that is open.
                                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                          X