No announcement yet.

Help with lost half siblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most public libraries have Ancestry worldwide, which you can use for free.
    They may want to see your library membership card, or restrict access to a one hour slot, depending on demand.
    Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 04-07-15, 18:01.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

See below.
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 04-07-15, 19:32.

Comment

Oops please ignore posted on wrong thread.

Comment

if you buy the FTM as has been suggested you get 6 months worldwide with this one £59.99 incl postage so you would save about £60 if you buy 2 for a year.
          Or google and maybe you can get it cheaper

Comment

Or I believe you can get it with Tesco vouchers!
            Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Pookie View Post
              Thanks John. I have the latest update for FTM so have now used up the free months I had with it! I will probably have to bite the bullet and pay the £179 it goes against the grain!!
              I need to have worldwide as have many relies that live abroad,,
              pookie
              FTM will sometimes let you register a further 6 months, but don't say who told you. It sometimes does the same version as you had, sometimes a more restricted version. An upgrade to worldwide should be cheaper than the full cost.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for the info- it seems Toby a good option, will give it a go!

obviously my original reason for starting this thread was to try and find my half siblings!! Now I have posted more than ten I will send you a pm as you first requested with their names in the home you may be able to help.
                Pookie

Comment

Thanks for the info- it seems Toby a good option, will give it a go!

obviously my original reason for starting this thread was to try and find my half siblings!! Now I have posted more than ten I will send you a pm as you first requested with their names in the home you may be able to help.
                  Pookie
                  I have replied to your PM with some possible addresses in the UK for people with your half brother's name. No trace for half sister under maiden name in UK or a marriage for her or for their mother getting married or dying in UK under first married name.

Message Boards for Canada will be the best way forward as people on there have access to newspapers for births, deaths and marriages.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                    I have replied to your PM with some possible addresses in the UK for people with your half brother's name. No trace for half sister under maiden name in UK or a marriage for her or for their mother getting married or dying in UK under first married name.

Message Boards for Canada will be the best way forward as people on there have access to newspapers for births, deaths and marriages.

Margaret
                    I have replied to you directly and look forward to hearing from you.

i put a message on Ancestrys message board some time ago and not had any uptake, so will have to try again with different heading.

pookie

Comment

Good luck with your search.
                      Have you looked at electoral rolls for the Streatham address where they were living when they travelled? Maybe you will find a lead from the other occupants.
                      Denise

Comment

The other thing to do is a tree for Bella Tenenbaum to see if any of her relatives know what happened to her and her family.
                        Margaret

Comment

Looking at the passenger list it is only Esme who went to Canada with Lea Ermou b1907 whose permanent address is Canada the same as the boy. Could they have been taken for adoption?
                          Certainly I would want to look for Lea's husband either in UK or in Canada to see how he related to the Guy family.

The address in Streatham is a good starting point - the local library can say where the re cords are for the years either side of 1959.

You might also want to look at neighbours in the street to see if there might be connection to anyone else.

Unless you have some other evidence I don't see that Michael or Bella ever went to Canada.

Margaret

Comment

If you have an exact date of birth for Bella you can search the death index with that and her first name only since we are not sure of her surname after the divorce.

Can you give the details here? if not please PM them. Also I take it Bella was not her full first name - it's usually short for Isabella or some such.

Margaret
                            Last edited by margaretmarch; 06-07-15, 12:05.

Comment

Looking at the passenger list it is only Esme who went to Canada with Lea Ermou b1907 whose permanent address is Canada the same as the boy. Could they have been taken for adoption?
                              Certainly I would want to look for Lea's husband either in UK or in Canada to see how he related to the Guy family.

The address in Streatham is a good starting point - the local library can say where the re cords are for the years either side of 1959.

You might also want to look at neighbours in the street to see if there might be connection to anyone else.

Unless you have some other evidence I don't see that Michael or Bella ever went to Canada.

Margaret
                              Regarding the passenger list if you look on the following page under the 'G's you will see the brother the address is the same, it would appear that Esme was listed after Lea and the boy.

Both Esme & Michael are detailed as returning to uk, so not sure if theyd be up for adoption - not too old?

I'm not able to find Bella anywhere! She is on the marriage cert as Bella - father Israel Tenenbaum, they were Czeck citizens and the wedding was in 1937 in Egypt.

My father never divorced her (Bella) - my mother (Joyce Irene Harriss 1920-2011) changed her name by de-pole and that is also detailed on my birth cert.

I only know of these two half siblings as they are detailed on my fathers army records ( which I have ). Sadly my father died in 1974 and I never asked anything then as I didnt know he'd been married before! I didn't know my parents weren't married either.

I have looked for marriages in Uk with surname of Ermou and only found one with a Lea as the wife.

Bella year of birth (on the marriage cert) was 1911 - but possibly born in Egypt - her father was listed as a merchant?

I will have a look at the rolls for Streatham to see if I can find Lea & husband, not done that yet! do you mean my local library or the one in Streatham?

thanks to all for advice

Pookie

Comment

Looking at the passenger list it is only Esme who went to Canada with Lea Ermou b1907 whose permanent address is Canada the same as the boy. Could they have been taken for adoption? Certainly I would want to look for Lea's husband either in UK or in Canada to see how he related to the Guy family.

Margaret
                                Margaret, I wondered initially about adoption, but then suggested up thread that the girl would have been past the legal school leaving age and may already have been in in a job. I wondered if she had gone through some training/employment scheme??

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Regarding the passenger list if you look on the following page under the 'G's you will see the brother the address is the same, it would appear that Esme was listed after Lea and the boy.

Both Esme & Michael are detailed as returning to uk, so not sure if theyd be up for adoption - not too old?

I have looked for marriages in Uk with surname of Ermou and only found one with a Lea as the wife.

Bella year of birth (on the marriage cert) was 1911 - but possibly born in Egypt - her father was listed as a merchant?

I will have a look at the rolls for Streatham to see if I can find Lea & husband, not done that yet! do you mean my local library or the one in Streatham?

thanks to all for advice

Pookie
                                  Where have you found them returning to UK?

I would get the marriage cert for Ermou and see if there's a connection.

I meant the library local to Streatham - all local libraries hold electoral registers for addresses in their area.

Margaret
                                  Last edited by margaretmarch; 06-07-15, 14:57.

Comment

A Thasos Ermou married a Lea Abcarius or Eden at Marylebone reg Sept 1952. But a Thasos Ermou also married a Loni Heinlein registered Dec 1952.
                                    He died in1974 and Loni in 2006.

Can't find another Thasos.

Jan

Comment

Looking at your message board post I would give the full names of both siblings with their dates and places of birth - that will make it much clearer for anyone helping.

I would also mention the Ermou connection and the name of the other child travelling with them.

Make sure you put all surnames in the box at the bottom - that way anyone looking for any of the names will find your post.

Margaret

Comment

Just a thought that perhaps Esme was working as a domestic/maid for Mrs Ermou?

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                        X