No announcement yet.

Military in Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Christine, yes please, anything you can find going forward will be great. Those book snippets for Rickard are very interesting - they certainly sent him all over the place!

Found this - 1881 england Census for Luke Norman
    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...v=1&ml_rpos=14

Proves Elizabeth was born in Canada. Also has Eliza C Edwards living with them - Alexanders sister from the 1871 census.

Another interesting snippet is this:

https://archive.org/stream/chronicle...e/204/mode/2up

The history of the Donovans. Halfway down page 204 it is talking about Rickard Donovan, who had 5 daughters, one of whom, Eliza married Cadwallader Edwards of Ballyhire . Is it likely that the name Rickard was carried on in the family? I think the timings might fit, but need to prove it.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Linda,
      l've sent you a PM.
      Christine
      Last edited by Karamazov; 30-10-14, 11:10.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

1911 for Anne Edwards:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.i.../nai000139469/

There is another daughter named Sophie aged 46, so born about 1865. But with the twins born in 1864, Hilda in 1865 and Colin in 1866, where did she fit in? Cant work out how many children Anne had. Could it be ten?
        Last edited by ozgirl; 30-10-14, 13:46.
        Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
          1911 for Anne Edwards:

There is another daughter named Sophie aged 46, so born about 1865. But with the twins born in 1864, Hilda in 1865 and Colin in 1866, where did she fit in? Cant work out how many children Anne had. Could it be ten?
          Yes, I'd found this one too Yes, Daughter Sophie is a puzzle. It doesn't help that Anne says she had 2 children born with 6 still living! Bless, she was 80 and perhaps got a bit muddled by the question.
          To date we had found 8 - I now think both the twins, Robert and Alexander, who were born in 1864 must have died as infants - as they were both baptised within 2 days of birth, plus a later son born 1868 is baptised with both their names as Robert Alexander Edwards. Then you could read Anne's muddled response as two dead children and 6 still living.

But daughter Sophie makes it 9 children born (where are you getting 10 from - have I missed one somewhere?) Like you I wonder where she could possibly have fitted in. She doesn't appear in the church baptism records, whereas all the other children (apart from Hilda whom I couldn't find) do. The only odd thing about the baptisms was Robert Alexander Edwards being baptised in two different churches on the same day in 1868.

Florence is also with hubby Hans in Kildare in the 1911 (their form collected on 5 April) so my guess is that Florence pops down from Kildare to visit, Anne fills in her form with Florence included, therefore Florence appears on the census in both Dublin and Kildare. The Dublin form was collected on 7th April 1911.

Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Found Anne and the children in 1881 - they are in Bath

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8767

however, there is no Sophie, and I would have expected her to be at home still as only 15. Also I cannot find Hilda anywhere in 1911, so I am wondering if Sophie and Hilda are the same person. Re the 1911 and Annes responses to children, I wasn't sure if it said two or ten - it's a bit scribbled! But what you said makes sense - 2 dead, 6 still living.

In 1881 the boys are at school in Reading (just down the road from me!)

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=5
            Last edited by ozgirl; 30-10-14, 16:09.
            Linda

Comment

On Ancestry there are entries for Robert Edwards and Alexander Edwards, both born 1864 and died 1864, Dublin South. Think these are probably the twins.
              Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                Found Anne and the children in 1881 - they are in Bath

however, there is no Sophie, and I would have expected her to be at home still as only 15. Also I cannot find Hilda anywhere in 1911, so I am wondering if Sophie and Hilda are the same person. Re the 1911 and Annes responses to children, I wasn't sure if it said two or ten - it's a bit scribbled! But what you said makes sense - 2 dead, 6 still living.

In 1881 the boys are at school in Reading (just down the road from me!)

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=5
                I have my doubts that Sophie is a daughter as like you I found the 1881 Bath census where she doesn't figure and can't find a Sophie Edwards anywhere in Ireland in 1901.
                Hilda Douglas Edwards is in the 1911 Irish census visiting cousins in Gormanstown, Co Meath and I've added this to the ancestry tree. (For some reason ancestry just doesn't find it, even though it's very clearly written and accurately transcribed) so I've just added the NAI 1911 census weblink to her in the ancestry tree.

So no, Hilda and Sophie are not the same person!
                Not sure if it was Anne or the enumerator who filled in the 1911 form - would have to reexamine the handwriting - but in the absence of any other eviidence of her existence so far as a daughter of this family, I'm inclined to think somebody somewhere made a mistake in describing her as daughter.
                Last edited by Karamazov; 30-10-14, 23:01.
                Researching:

Comment

Working...
                X