No announcement yet.

Help with geneology from France?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If only I know what part of France he came from so I could find a birth record. Looks like I may have to go through every part and look one at a time. Or maybe I will try that ancestry DNA, has anyone had much success with that?

Comment

Originally posted by jarmon20 View Post
      If only I know what part of France he came from so I could find a birth record. Looks like I may have to go through every part and look one at a time. Or maybe I will try that ancestry DNA, has anyone had much success with that?
      To find a birth record in France, you must know the village name and département ("county"), not only which part of France. Maybe one day that will be centralized but it's not right know.
      Because of his name just when he arrived in the US (John B. Armon), what is very not French, I wonder if he could have been English going to US through France... Is Armon an English family name? It is amazing to me that he was named like that just at his arrival with a French passport written Jean Armand. I thought that letter d has dropped later.

Comment

how sure are you that the one who arrived in 1836 is yours?

Comment

i would try and get hold of a death certificate, or burial record. you have the 1850/60 census? try to find him in 1840. look for an obituary, if there is one. they seem to be an american thing. if your lucky there could be one, and might mention details of his life before america.

have you got birth records for his children? do they record any details about his marriage or birthplace?

Comment

Hi Jarmon20,

I have just posted a private message to you.

Pascal

Comment

Working...
            X