Lancashire Library on-line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Elaine...spain,
    Oops, sorry for my error, and thanks for transferring to Research.
    A lot of very kind people are helping me.

Willing to help anyone for research in Australia.
    Kind regards
    Barry

Comment

Hi Christine,
      "The Duke" was wrecked off Bermuda, sorry for the error. I've searched Lloyds re inquiries/hearings after january 1867 and so far have not found any report.
      It is a difficult ship to search for , but "The Duke" was it's correct name and ON number: 15028. Had thought it may have been an abbreviation for a longer name.
      We do get caught up with our research, noticed what time you delayed your sleep, you are fantastic with your time.
      Please let me know if I can help you with any research here in Australia -- Have been involved with FH for some years and enjoy it, like a detective novel.
      Thanks again for your interest.
      Regards
      Barry

Comment

Originally posted by clancam View Post

We do get caught up with our research, noticed what time you delayed your sleep, you are fantastic with your time.

Please let me know if I can help you with any research here in Australia
        Barry
        Hi Barry,
        No worries as you Aussies say - I'm a night owl so 1.30am is not particularly late for me - just not used to typing at that time.
        I might take you up on your offer re Australian research help - I have a pretty intriguing Australian woman who married into my family in 1915 but I have a few more things I need to follow up on before returning to her.

i've just sent you a private message. (I think you click on Notifications at the top of the screen to see it..)
        Best wishes,
        Christine
        Last edited by Karamazov; 11-08-13, 20:41.
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Hi Barry,
          I'm now up to April 1875 in the John Campbell results. I've found lots of different John Campbells including a JP, an ironmonger, even a ship called JC, and lots of JCs with nautical associations but so far, none of them who I could say were definitively your man.
          Still, I've enjoyed reading all the old newpaper stories. Stories featuring assorted JCs include:
          JC, seaman on a schooner Dudgeon acccused of stealing clothing from the ship, sentenced to 3 months imprisonment in 1869.
          JC from Rainford Gardens who was assaulted in a pub in 1870
          An inquest into the death of JC who was hit by a train in 1870 but he was a 32 year old labourer
          JC aged 29 who was injured in an explosion on a Cunard steamer in 1871
          There is a case in 1871 featuring John Campbell amongst assorted others who are seeking compensation for improper discharge from their ship and not receiving their full wages. The vessel was the Athenian, owned by Messrs Ross, which leftbLiverpool for Montreal in October 1871 but which put back into Liverpool after being storm-damaged.
          a JC who was assaulted by the husband when attempting to intervene in a domestic dispute in 1873
          JC, a Fireman on the Tranmere ferry steamer Lord Morpeth who had a narrow escape from drowning in 1874
          There was also a JC who was a witness in a particularly gruesome wife murder case

I don't know how likely this is, given that your JC had already acquired a master mariners certificate, but there are 2 JCs who both passed the examinations to be first-class engineers in Liverpool in September 1874 and in December 1874. I'll leave it to you to decide whether these might be worth a follow-up.

Re John Usher: There are a couple of bankruptcy hearings in Liverpool for a John Usher in 1865 but unfortunately no profession or address is listed. The last hearing was 2 June 1865 where the outcome was "last ex and dis." Might this be worth a follow-up?

you say you can't find any evidence of JC pursuing his seagoing career after 1867, so what occupation was recorded for him in the 1871 census?

Sorry not to have come up with anything yet which is definitively your relation.

Christine
          Last edited by Karamazov; 13-08-13, 13:04.
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Hi Barry,
            I have now ploughed through the last batch of hits in the Liverpool Mercury for John Campbell. The conclusion is that he and his family did not publish birth, marriage and death announcements in the Mercury, unfortunately.

I am including the following information in case you are pursuing the possibility that he died at sea. This might at least allow you to discount or further follow up some of the results you might find, and also allow you to discount other John Campbell deaths you might come across in Liverpool via FreeBMD.
            - Seaman John Campbell was among 38 crew from the Stuart Hahneman enroute from Bombay to Liverpool. The ship was wrecked 14th of April 1875, although it is not clear if the crew were lost
            - The Cape Comorin sailed from Liverpool to Bombay 25 Dec 1875 and was wrecked near Wexford. All Crew assumed lost included able Seaman John Campbell from Dublin
            - On Friday, 28 January 1878 there is a report that seamen John Campbell was found guilty of assaulting a policeman when "mad drunk". He had seven previous custodial sentences and he was imprisoned again for this offence.
            - On 13 March 1876 there is report on the inquest into the death of John Campbell, 69, a shipkeeper. He died 7 March after an accident at the Albert Dock. His (unnamed) widow's address was 8 Court, kitchen Street.
            - The steamer Govan was feared lost with all hands including John Campbell, Belfast, donkeyman, off the French coast. it was en route from Ardrossan to Rochefort and left on 26 September 1876.
            - On the night of 18 July 1877 John Campbell, Butcher, Latimer Street was stabbed by Patrick McGovern (the husband) , whilst trying to act as peacemaker in a domestic dispute. He died on Tuesday 24th of July. Patrick McGovern was sentenced to death on 4 August 1877 and executed on 21 August 1877, just over a month later. They didn't hang around in those days! (no pun intended). (This one is definitely not your man but it was an interesting story.)
            - On 29 November 1877 there is a report of an inquest in Birkenhead into the death of John Campbell, shipkeeper, of Duncan Street Liverpool. He was found dead in the hold of a vessel in the Great Fleet. The verdict was accidental death.

So, in summary, nothing definitive about your man but possibly some incidents which you might feel worthy of further follow-up.
            Sorry not to have uncovered anything for you, but I've enjoyed trawling through the newspaper reports.
            Regards,
            Christine
            Researching:

Comment

John Campbell Death

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
              Hi Barry,
              I have now ploughed through the last batch of hits in the Liverpool Mercury for John Campbell. The conclusion is that he and his family did not publish birth, marriage and death announcements in the Mercury, unfortunately.

I am including the following information in case you are pursuing the possibility that he died at sea. This might at least allow you to discount or further follow up some of the results you might find, and also allow you to discount other John Campbell deaths you might come across in Liverpool via FreeBMD.
              - Seaman John Campbell was among 38 crew from the Stuart Hahneman enroute from Bombay to Liverpool. The ship was wrecked 14th of April 1875, although it is not clear if the crew were lost
              - The Cape Comorin sailed from Liverpool to Bombay 25 Dec 1875 and was wrecked near Wexford. All Crew assumed lost included able Seaman John Campbell from Dublin
              - On Friday, 28 January 1878 there is a report that seamen John Campbell was found guilty of assaulting a policeman when "mad drunk". He had seven previous custodial sentences and he was imprisoned again for this offence.
              - On 13 March 1876 there is report on the inquest into the death of John Campbell, 69, a shipkeeper. He died 7 March after an accident at the Albert Dock. His (unnamed) widow's address was 8 Court, kitchen Street.
              - The steamer Govan was feared lost with all hands including John Campbell, Belfast, donkeyman, off the French coast. it was en route from Ardrossan to Rochefort and left on 26 September 1876.
              - On the night of 18 July 1877 John Campbell, Butcher, Latimer Street was stabbed by Patrick McGovern (the husband) , whilst trying to act as peacemaker in a domestic dispute. He died on Tuesday 24th of July. Patrick McGovern was sentenced to death on 4 August 1877 and executed on 21 August 1877, just over a month later. They didn't hang around in those days! (no pun intended). (This one is definitely not your man but it was an interesting story.)
              - On 29 November 1877 there is a report of an inquest in Birkenhead into the death of John Campbell, shipkeeper, of Duncan Street Liverpool. He was found dead in the hold of a vessel in the Great Fleet. The verdict was accidental death.

So, in summary, nothing definitive about your man but possibly some incidents which you might feel worthy of further follow-up.
              Sorry not to have uncovered anything for you, but I've enjoyed trawling through the newspaper reports.
              Regards,
              Christine
              Hi Christine,
              Many thanks for your message and appreciate the effort you have done on my behalf. You've been very thorough with the detail, it is a shame the death of my John Campbell wasn't forthcoming, however there are a few instances above which I will look into to confirm or eliminate. There are some interesting stories here, poor Patrick McGovern didn't get much time to contemplate his fate.
              Thanks for helping me find the "notifications" button, still finding my around this most useful forum.
              When you are ready please send me what you are looking for here in Australia and I will be delighted to help. Our local state library provides ancestry.com (Library Edition) and Find My Past for Australia, Britain and also Ireland and our local library FH group meets every Friday afternoon with brilliant helpful members.
              Thanks again Christine for your assistance
              Kind regards
              Barry
              You have my email address?
              My apologies to site admin for rabbiting on.

Comment

Hi Barry,
                No I don't have your email address. I don't think you are allowed to post private email addresses on the public forums so
                please could you send it me by private message - click on my user name to get the private message option.
                Thanks for your offer to help with my Australian woman! I have a lot of information about her but also some intriguing gaps which, hopefully, you and your genealogy mates might be able to plug.
                Christine
                Researching:

Comment

Hi

Can anyone tell me what this is? I have a lot of Lancashire rellies.

Many thanks
                  Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Hi Lensgirl,

Lancashire Library has access to Gale Newspaper 19th Centuary Newspapers but you have to join up on line and get a membership card and number to access the records. http://www3.lancashire.gov.uk/corpor...sp?catID=13094

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
                      Hi

Can anyone tell me what this is? I have a lot of Lancashire rellies.

Many thanks
                      As Edna has said, it refers to the online newspaper collection available via Lancashire Library.
                      You may find that your own library offers a similar service - you can log into your local library website and search the newspapers in the comfort of your own home! You will need a library PIN no.
                      Elaine

Comment

Thanks both, Ive registered so hope to get my number soon through the post.
                        Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Working...
                        X