No announcement yet.

The disappearance of George Cowell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have come into the possession of a marvellous life history booklet, specially printed,about the life of George's brother, James Ernest. It makes for very sad but inspiring reading, about his tough life here, and his ever rougher life being passed from farm to farm with his eventual marriage in Canada and sad early death at age 33, having worked hard to become a surveyor.

Apparently our missing George attended Coleman St school, Shoreditch, but nothing concrete is known after 1900 when his father died - despite rumour of bandsmen or military.

I am now wondering if he was in the war and died in France or Belgium? More thinking needed......

Amanda

Comment

That is a sad tale of James. Leaving his family behind and after not having it easy, to die so young.

Do you have any info on Susannah. She was born around the same time as George Henry. Could they have been together at some point. Couldn't see her in Stifford records but maybe I missed it. There is a a death in 1895 for a Susan Cowell BG.

Vera

Comment

Yes, I do, Vera.

According to this book about James, Susannah was out playing when her dress caught fire on a workman's brazier and was speedily engulfed in flames. She died of shock and burns on 13 March 1895, aged just 5. Her sister Elizabeth gave this version of events - it was George's clothes that caught on fire and in putting the flames out, set herself alight. Whatever version is correct, she died of burns and shock. Another sad event for the family.

In January 1900, father George went into the Poplar and Stepney Sick asylum and by word of mouth, he had wounded his hip on a working tool. In Feb 1900 James, Florence & Rosina entered Ratcliffe workhouse. In March, little Rosina caught whooping cough and died the same month. In August the same year, George snr died of tubercular infection of the hip joint.

What a grim, sad story for this family.

The search for George goes on - he is the only one unaccounted for. We will keep going.

Thanks

Amanda

Comment

this site may help you pin down an area he may have been in as a Bandsman ???

If you click on a regiment they have the most amazing photos of Bands
          Last edited by Guest; 18-08-13, 21:35.

Comment

Such a sad story. The suffering never seemed to end for this family. I will think some more about George, the only one not accounted for.

So George did not enter the Workhouse at the same time as his sibs. Was mother still around at that time?
            Sometimes a parent would keep a child with them and maybe one less dependent. I tracked my Aunt's husband down to a care facility in the South having been born and lived in the North East. His mother at the time was living apart from her husband in the North East with the eldest (earning) child and the youngest.

Vera

Comment

Working...
            X