Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Mary Smith Problem - Super Sleuths Needed !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
    Census says they're both from Gotham, but who knows the truth. I'll have to try surrounding parishes to see if there's an obvious.

Thanks again
    STG
    mmm true, on looking at the 1841 for Thomas & Mary they are living near to/next door? to a Shepherd family.. [could these be Mary Alices grandparents?] I also noted that there was a William & Sarah Smith in the next household too... maybe these [or should I say William, is a brother to Thomas?] I know that Gotham is a very small village, so highly probable that they all knew each others families.

I had a quick look to see if I could spot a William & Elizabeth [parents from #17] and found this:

1841: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1841&indiv=1

might not be connected but, i'll keep having a shuftie!..

oh I AM a dingbat!! the William & Sarah that I thought might be Thomas' brother.. what if it's actually SARAH that is Thomas' sister from #17!! [she might have married William SMITH.. but already was a Smith.. [i'll shurrup now...lol]
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

oh and what I meant was.. on the 1871 cens for Henry & Jane they are living with a John & Ann SHEPHERD but Henry is listed as 'Grandson in Law' .. so that would imply that the grandparents were Janes?
      Julie

Comment

Er ...

It might take me a while to untangle that Julie !

Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
          Er ...

It might take me a while to untangle that Julie !

lol!! I was mainly thinking out loud, but having a grandson in law implies that they were not his grandparents but, his wifes?

I don't think now that the Sarah that married William [from #21] was a smith before marriage, though I s'pose we won't know much more until we find/you find Thomas' Parents and any other possible siblings. I did have a look to see if Sarah Smith married, but, didn't check FS, so will have a look on there.
          Julie

Comment

I have just had a look at the Shepherd family living in next household to Thomas & Mary in 1841. John & Ann and they have children LUCY, Joseph, & Mary.

these look to be the same Shepherd family that Henry & Jane are with in 1871

ahhhhhhhh it all makes sense now!!.. Lucy married a George HALLAM.. Lucy being Jane's mum.

1851: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7619
            Julie

Comment

There was a Lucy Smith as a witness to that marriage too, which I'm supposing (without research) is Thomas's sister. So, Thomas had a sister Lucy; Henry had a sister Lucy and (assuming we've got the right family and all, caveats, caveats etc), Mary Alice had a sister called Lucy.
              just been having another look at this, Lucy HALLAM [Janes mum] stays Lucy Hallam from her marriage to George until her death in 1898. [so that discounts her as a witness and being Lucy Smith] i'll have a look to see if I can find anything.
              Julie

Comment

There was a Lucy Smith as a witness to that marriage too, which I'm supposing (without research) is Thomas's sister. So, Thomas had a sister Lucy; Henry had a sister Lucy and (assuming we've got the right family and all, caveats, caveats etc), Mary Alice had a sister called Lucy.
                I knew I had seen it somewhere!.. Lucy Smith [was HENRY/Harry's Sister] so that would be the Lucy Smith as a witness..

1851: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7619
                Julie

Comment

Working...
                X