No announcement yet.

Joseph Charles Fricker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In fact she had 13 children and all have the maiden name Evans. She is still alive in 1911, so yes, just the one person having 13 children. Not particularly unusual in those days.

There is a possible death in 1922 and another possible in 1932 but as the middle name is only shown as initial J, it isn't easy to work out which one is her.

OC

Comment

• You can check the middle names on the GRO index now. It goes up to 1957
      Anne

Comment

• Anne, I'm not seeing any middle names? I will look again!

This is a bit odd, but probably not important in the great scheme of things, but I cannot find the birth registration of Madelina, born 1865. Algernon was also born in 1865, 7 May, so something amiss somewhere.

OC

Comment

• Ah, yes, got it! She died in 1922 aged 83. Emma Jessie Field.

OC

Comment

• Hmmm, I think Madelina was a cuckoo in the nest! Only two births of Madeline Gertrude in a five year period. One went on to marry (Madeline Gertrude Olympia Cazalet) so not ours.

The other, Madeline Gertrude Livett I cannot find forward and it looks as if her mother died in 1865. Mother's maiden name Gunter. I wonder if the Fields informally adopted her.

What an interesting family!

OC

Comment

• Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              Ah, yes, got it! She died in 1922 aged 83. Emma Jessie Field.

OC
              Thank you! I hope Kat will add this to the family tree she posted on ancestry.

I just found this record that includes Freke FIELD. His middle name was Hamilton and it gives the location of where he lived with his parents. He is on the list of attendees at a funeral of importance, names are thankfully in alphabetical order:

Amelia

My avatar is my grandfather William as a baby. His origins are shrouded in mystery.....

Comment

• I've already added Emma's death to the tree.

OC

Comment

• Ok, forget about Madeleine, there she is, registered in 1861, mmn Evans.

I will amend the tree.

OC

Comment

I've already added Emma's death to the tree.

OC
                    Thanks, OC
                    Amelia

My avatar is my grandfather William as a baby. His origins are shrouded in mystery.....

Comment

Ok, forget about Madeleine, there she is, registered in 1861, mmn Evans.

I will amend the tree.

OC
                      Thanks. I was wondering what the missing name might be. I will check it out.

I've been busy looking at some of the paintings by my great-great uncle? Freke Field. Here is one https://www.meisterdrucke.uk/fine-ar...in,-1889-.html
                      Amelia

Comment

• Originally posted by zoomer View Post

I just found this record that includes Freke FIELD. His middle name was Hamilton and it gives the location of where he lived with his parents. He is on the list of attendees at a funeral of importance, names are thankfully in alphabetical order:

http://www.sensationpress.com/the_fu...th_braddon.htm
                        Now I have found Latchmere House! It is still listed as such on Google maps:

It is owned now by a marketing firm. Glad they are taking good care of the property. Joshua & Emma FIELD lived here with Freke FIELD, the 2nd son who was an artist. Joshua & Emma were my g-g-grandparents, unless I am possibly descended from Joshua's brother, Sidney which I rather doubt. I believe I'm descended from Freke's older brother Joshua Leslie FIELD, the barrister, but I realize it is hard to absolutely prove as he left no known descendants to compare with.
                        Amelia

Comment

Now I have found Latchmere House! It is still listed as such on Google maps:

It is owned now by a marketing firm. Glad they are taking good care of the property. Joshua & Emma FIELD lived here with Freke FIELD, the 2nd son who was an artist. Joshua & Emma were my g-g-grandparents, unless I am possibly descended from Joshua's brother, Sidney which I rather doubt. I believe I'm descended from Freke's older brother Joshua Leslie FIELD, the barrister, but I realize it is hard to absolutely prove as he left no known descendants to compare with.
                          Actually, the marketing firm does not own the property, but use the image of the house in their marketing. I found a Wikipédia article about the home, but it does not mention whol first lived there.

Amelia

Comment

• Latchmere house is being turned into upmarket apartments. It has been many things over the years, a hospital for shell shocked Ww1 officers, a prison for Nazis, a prison for young offenders. Attempts to list it have failed and so the developers have moved in to this prime piece of property.

It was the home of Joshua Field and his wife Emma and all their children, not just Freke. See the census returns.

OC

Comment

• Oh, forgot to ssy - yes, Matilda Evans and Emma Jessie Evans were related. I will put the details on the tree tomorrow, too tired to do it tonight!

OC

Comment

Latchmere house is being turned into upmarket apartments. It has been many things over the years, a hospital for shell shocked Ww1 officers, a prison for Nazis, a prison for young offenders. Attempts to list it have failed and so the developers have moved in to this prime piece of property.

It was the home of Joshua Field and his wife Emma and all their children, not just Freke. See the census returns.

OC
                                Thank you OC. I did read about the history of Latchmere House in the Wikipedia article. I find it comforting that the house was used as a place of healing for "shell-shocked" WWI vets, and a prison for Nazis. Such an ineresting history! Now it will be sub-divided into flats. Pity!

I did realize that all of the family must have once lived there - in the end it was only Freke and his parents.

Perhaps my grandfather's father was born in the house. There is a vast difference between Latchmere House and where my grandfather was first recorded as living in Cowes, IOW, at the age of 3:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.75954...7i13312!8i6656 (The home behind the flowers)
                                Amelia

Comment

Oh, forgot to ssy - yes, Matilda Evans and Emma Jessie Evans were related. I will put the details on the tree tomorrow, too tired to do it tonight!

OC
                                  Okay, Thanks. I thought that they must have come from the same family.
                                  Amelia

Comment

Thank you OC. I did read about the history of Latchmere House in the Wikipedia article. I find it comforting that the house was used as a place of healing for "shell-shocked" WWI vets, and a prison for Nazis. Such an ineresting history! Now it will be sub-divided into flats. Pity!

I did realize that all of the family must have once lived there - in the end it was only Freke and his parents.

Perhaps my grandfather's father was born in the house. There is a vast difference between Latchmere House and where my grandfather was first recorded as living in Cowes, IOW, at the age of 3:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.75954...7i13312!8i6656 (The home behind the flowers)
                                    I've just found this online;
                                    Latchmere House, in Richmond upon Thames, Surrey, was known as Camp 020, during WWII and was used as an interrogation centre for captured German agents.

I so wish that it could have been maintained as a site of historical significance, maybe turned into a museum, or something.
                                    Amelia

Comment

• You can see how wealthy they must have been to live in such an enormous house. Death duties were probably the reason it was sold, that and the failure of the business round about the time that Joshua died in 1904.

I am curious to know how you know that Freke lived there?

Incidentally, the name Freke comes from the Evans family as far back as I can go.

OC

Comment

You can see how wealthy they must have been to live in such an enormous house. Death duties were probably the reason it was sold, that and the failure of the business round about the time that Joshua died in 1904.

I am curious to know how you know that Freke lived there?

Incidentally, the name Freke comes from the Evans family as far back as I can go.

OC
                                        Look for the link in post #426 it states that Freke Field attended a funeral and is listed as living at Latchmere House with his parents.

I will have to look more into the Evans famliy. I found another link that mentions that Joshua FIELD built the house:

I have a fascination with ‘secret history’, especially when it has local connections. During World War Two captured enemy spies were taken to Camp 020, located south-west of London. The Camp was a …
                                        Amelia

Comment

• I read that article to say that Freke had lived at Latchmere House but as the article was only about people who attended a funeral I wouldn't expect it to mention anyone who didn't attend. So I don't think you can infer anything from that. He was at home in 1901, before his marriage, but again, you can't infer that he lived there, just that he was there on census night.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                          X