No announcement yet.

Clara's death - help UPDATE #626

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Margaret Charles is buried in Manor Park cemetery but unfortunately Clara is not with him or buried there. Her parents were Jonathan Pettit and Sarah Poole. Unfortunately Newham were most unhelpful earlier and I have no chance of getting an ER done for the address in 1932

Moggie that certainly ties up the address in 1939 and your post 441 had that right. I take it that Ellen was maybe mixed up with the name Ethel? The bad news is that Clara is not with them and I have no idea where's to go now?

Thanks

Steven

Comment

• Here are the cert's I have so far

1. 17/9/1942 Clara Ward 1 Boxley Lane. District - Dartford, Kent. Age 73 - widow of John Leslie Ward. Informant L C Cook, 1 Boxley Lane Dartford
      2. 13/8/1942 Clara Ward, 8Q Peabody Square. District -Southwark. Age 72 - widow of John Ward a porter, Covent Garden Market. Informant M B Sweeney
      3. 3/3/1943 Clara Emily Ward, 32 Waverley Road, Woodford. District - Essex South Western. Age 76 - wife of Thomas Edward Ward retired master builder. Informant T E Ward son 11 Ufford Street, Waterloo
      4. 28/3/1943 Clara Amelia Ward 1 Boxley Lane. District - Dartford Kent. Age 75 - no husband. Daughter of Waller or Walter Ward a builder. Informant Minnie Ward sister 43 Westcroft Square, Hammersmith
      5. 27/1/1944 Clara Ward 35 Myrtle Road Acton. District - Brentford. Age 72 - widow of Frederick George Ward omnibus driver. Informant J A Hoare daughter
      6. 28/5/1948 Clara Emily Rolfe 144 Kingswood Chase, Leigh on Sea. District Southend on Sea. Age 77 widow of William Rolfe retired railway clerk. Informant C G Fentum brother in law

No apparent clues in any of these but as always would appreciate some eyes looking over them

Steven

Comment

• Got excited then about two registered at the same address but then remembered that it was no doubt a hospital!

Can't think if anything just now but will mull it over and see if anything pops out of the depths!

Margaret

Comment

• Thanks Margaret I really thought I met get her on the ER's but not looking good now - I was even thinking of maybe ordering another cert or two!!!! but I can't even see a likely candidate

Steven

Comment

• Steven

what yr was Amandas dad born please.. I'm just wondering now if she might have died before the dates we have been looking.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
              Here are the cert's I have so far

1. 17/9/1942 Clara Ward 1 Boxley Lane. District - Dartford, Kent. Age 73 - widow of John Leslie Ward. Informant L C Cook, 1 Boxley Lane Dartford
              2. 13/8/1942 Clara Ward, 8Q Peabody Square. District -Southwark. Age 72 - widow of John Ward a porter, Covent Garden Market. Informant M B Sweeney
              3. 3/3/1943 Clara Emily Ward, 32 Waverley Road, Woodford. District - Essex South Western. Age 76 - wife of Thomas Edward Ward retired master builder. Informant T E Ward son 11 Ufford Street, Waterloo
              4. 28/3/1943 Clara Amelia Ward 1 Boxley Lane. District - Dartford Kent. Age 75 - no husband. Daughter of Waller or Walter Ward a builder. Informant Minnie Ward sister 43 Westcroft Square, Hammersmith
              5. 27/1/1944 Clara Ward 35 Myrtle Road Acton. District - Brentford. Age 72 - widow of Frederick George Ward omnibus driver. Informant J A Hoare daughter
              6. 28/5/1948 Clara Emily Rolfe 144 Kingswood Chase, Leigh on Sea. District Southend on Sea. Age 77 widow of William Rolfe retired railway clerk. Informant C G Fentum brother in law

No apparent clues in any of these but as always would appreciate some eyes looking over them

Steven
              just parking this here:

Name: Clara Ward
              Birth Date: abt 1868
              Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1920
              Age at Death: 52
              Registration district: Lambeth
              Inferred County: Greater London
              Volume: 1d
              Page: 206
              Julie

Comment

• Hi Steven
                So yet another address for Isabel. I wonder where this fitted in amongst all the others. I think it is Paget Road & not street as this is just around the corner from Mayville Road. I wonder if Hilda lived there at the same time as Isabel? If my theory is correct she would have been a Fitzgerald up until she remarried in 1956.
                Moggie

Comment

• Hi Julie Amanda's father was born on 1932 and recognised photo of his mother with Clara and Isabel. Then the 2nd photo with my grandad in his WW2 uniform again points to Clara being alive either before or during the war.

Maybe the year of death needs to be extended to later but again can't see anything

Hi moggie yet another address!!!! I wish they stayed in the same place!!

Steven

Comment

• Here are deaths for a search on Clara Ward born 1869 +/- 1 year for the period 1939 -1969

WARD Clara R Lincoln Lincolnshire 1939
                    WARD Clara Bilston Staffordshire 1940
                    WARD Clara Dartford Kent 1942
                    WARD Clara Southwark London 1942
                    WARD Clara L Dartford Kent 1943
                    WARD Clara Birmingham Warwickshire 1950
                    WARD Clara Sutton Coldfield Warks 1950
                    WARD Clara Stroud Gloucestershire 1954
                    WARD Clara Nuneaton Warwickshire 1954
                    WARD Clara Luton Bedfordshire 1955
                    WARD Clara J Plymouth Devon 1956

Nothing looks very likely and I think you have sent for a couple that were vague possibilities anyway

Margaret

Comment

• I think your only way forward is to have a thorough check of the ERs for all the addresses you have for the family especially those that Amanda's father lived at. This would at least prove his memory either way and maybe give you any assumed name Clara was using at the time.

It will be a time consuming job but I can't think of anything else at this point.

There must be SKS on here who would be willing to do it for you - wished I still lived in Essex so I could do it! I lived about 12 miles from Ilford and know all that area.

Margaret
                      Last edited by margaretmarch; 25-01-12, 13:03.

Comment

• Hi Steven
                        Have we ruled out the Clara L Heath who died at Ilford in 1942?
                        Amanda's dad seems to have remembered lots of addresses but I'm wondering if at the time he knew her surname or even her christian name & only knew her as Grandma/Granny. Back then we knew very little about our grandparents, especially how old they were. Children just didn't ask "personal" questions. As I recall I didn't know my grandma Clara's name not until I became interested in FH & sent for my mums's full birth certificate. I was 9 when my grandma died.
                        All we know for certain is Clara was alive in 1940 from the photo of your grandad in uniform.
                        Just been looking back at his service records. He joined up on 15th March 1940 & was stationed at Whitley Bay & posted to Stirling in September 1940 so my guess is the photo was taken between those dates or later.
                        We know nothing of Clara's whereabouts between 1911 & 1940 & also know that she wasn't living with either Ethel or Isabel in 1939. She would have had to earn her own living, no welfare state back then & she may possibly have lived with someone during that time but not remarried. Amanda's dad doesn't mention a grandfather figure so I'm guessing if Clara did have another "partner" he may have died. Just grasping at straws really but unless her death registration never made it to the GRO there must be something that we are missing.
                        Moggie

Comment

• I don't suppose she could have died in Scotland could she? I just did a search on Scotlands people and this was the only one that came up born 1869 +/- 2 dying between 1940 and 1950.
                          1944 WARD CLARA F 75 SPRINGBURN GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/05 1499
                          p.s. I can't find a birth or marriage record that would fit with this one being born in Scotland.
                          p.p.s. I mean of course if they went to stay nearby for a while or just to see him when he was in Stirling.
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-01-12, 14:24.
                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                            I don't suppose she could have died in Scotland could she? I just did a search on Scotlands people and this was the only one that came up born 1869 +/- 2 dying between 1940 and 1950.
                            1944 WARD CLARA F 75 SPRINGBURN GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/05 1499
                            p.s. I can't find a birth or marriage record that would fit with this one being born in Scotland.
                            p.p.s. I mean of course if they went to stay nearby for a while or just to see him when he was in Stirling.
                            do you know what Chrissie, THAT looks very promising... (and might be the reason we can't find her in England!)
                            Julie

Comment

• Wow Chrissie! that's a fantastic piece of thinking and a brilliant find - well done!
                              Margaret

Comment

• one thing though, Springburn, is Glasgow, and if she went to see the person at Stirling, then that is about 30/40 miles from there I think! (not wanting to put a massive damper on it before it has been checked out, but, also not wanting to get all excited!!)
                                Julie

Comment

• Nearest appropriate hospital in Glasgow??
                                  Margaret

Comment

• Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                    Nearest appropriate hospital in Glasgow??
                                    Margaret
                                    havent a clue Margaret!.. I only know about the mileage as we were in that neck of the woods last April... and Glasgow is about 30 miles from Edinburgh maybe Stirling is about 10/15 from Edinburgh.

edit to add:

Red Cross Hospital

Stobhill Hospital
                                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 25-01-12, 16:58.
                                    Julie

Comment

• Hi folks unfortunately herky PM'd me about this one a wee while ago and its not her!!!!Parents listed as George Ward and Eliza Higgins - I have a copy of the extract but thanks for coming up with it

Re the Clara Heath I think I might go for it - nothing to lose and area looks good ie Ilford

Steven

PS Margaret - thanks for summarising all the deaths - I was on AA routefinder last night doing the same thing and most are miles away. A pity you didn't still live in Ilford and could help me!!!! Thanks for all your help

Thanks Chrissie and Julie and moggie for your time today
                                      Last edited by stevie2006; 25-01-12, 16:59.

Comment

• Oh well good luck with Clara L Heath! you need some now

Margaret

Comment

• I thought you had already sent for the Clara L Heath though Steven? I'm sure we discussed it ages ago. Too many pages to wade through though. What a pity you can't search a thread for specific words
                                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                          X