Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 24th April 2008 is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
    The John Thornton census entry sounds right, and yes, if he was out when the enumerator called and his landlady didn't know where he lived - and she hadn't asked him before he went out! - it would say n/k or something like that.

As for Catherine, are you trying to find out where she was born and who her parents were? If so, then have you got her marriage certificate, and what details does it give?
    I am trying to find her birth and marriage i do not have any other info
    Linda

Comment

No, the info on the church cert will just be the same as the one you have. Sorry!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The Cornelius Baker / Catherine Melville marriage is on Scotland's People - year is 1916. You would need some credits to download the certificate and hopefully that should give you the info you need about Catherine's parents etc. Strangely, the Scotland's People search finds 2 entries for Cornelius Baker marriages to Catherines in that year - and no other Cornelius Baker marriage entries at all for any year, so I wonder whether the "other" one is really the same marriage but something is different - could Catherine maybe go by two different surnames? I haven't got any credits on there at all so I can't look at the results to see what it is!
        KiteRunner

Comment

Church Certs

Thanks Kite youve been very helpful lindyloo
          Linda

Comment

Oh, I forgot to track down where the 1916 marriage was without buying credits - let's see, county is Dumfries... and district is Dumfries too.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              The Cornelius Baker / Catherine Melville marriage is on Scotland's People - year is 1916. You would need some credits to download the certificate and hopefully that should give you the info you need about Catherine's parents etc. Strangely, the Scotland's People search finds 2 entries for Cornelius Baker marriages to Catherines in that year - and no other Cornelius Baker marriage entries at all for any year, so I wonder whether the "other" one is really the same marriage but something is different - could Catherine maybe go by two different surnames? I haven't got any credits on there at all so I can't look at the results to see what it is!
              All I know from my cousin is that he was named after her, his name is Melville
              Kathleen is coming to visit me tomorrow and I will endeavour to get on to the Scots Peoples.... as you sugest.......again for any of the info
              Linda

Comment

Have got the image but it doesnt look like the right people on it to me , mind my eyesight not that good for reading this time of night ;;
                Last edited by borobabs; 30-04-08, 09:09.
                borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

If someone wants to check it I hve saved the image and would need e-mail addy to pass onto them ;;;
                  sure it doesnt mach names at top of page ;;

Comment

The image is of a complete page of the register, which is normally 2 different marriages, just in case you looked at the wrong one. If the image you've got doesn't match the search result, you need to email ScotlandsPeople.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Sent it to Kite to examine so hope it is the right one seeing as they charged me twice silly things ;;

Comment

Babs, sorry to say the two marriages on that page are:
                        Pte W Ward / Martha Welsh 8th Aug 1916 entry number 101
                        William Douglas / Mary McQuade 11 Aug 1916 entry number 102

I see that the heading says "1916 Baker, Cornelius - Melville, Catherine (Statutory Marriages 821/00 0099) Forward 1
                        which I am guessing means that the marriage you wanted is entry number 99 and is on the previous page, and that you somehow clicked on "next page" after downloading the correct page which is why you have been charged twice.

If you look at your "Previous searches" or "Viewed images" then hopefully you will see that there are two different pages that you have paid for and the one that is supposed to have the Baker / Melville marriage is the first one of the two?
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Off to have alook , I had looked at both last night but will do it again now , sorry

Comment

Ahh found it right have sent it to you Kite ;;
                            must not do that late at night again ,,,lol

Comment

Okay, yes, it is the right one - possibly the fact that he signed his name Corn. Baker instead of Cornelius caused the confusion? So, Catherine was a farm worker, spinster, age 20, address 38 M???kes Street, Dumfries, father John Henry Melville, labourer, mother Mary Anne Sharkey(?), farm worker. The witnesses' names are quite hard to decipher, so I do hope we don't end up needing them! I'm sure neither witness is called Melville or Baker, anyway. The second one is Isabella something.
                              Date of marriage 5th Aug 1916 at St Andrews RC Cathedral, Dumfries.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

baker and Melville

Thanks all of you will endeavour to sort info out when my buddy kath from the spire visits me today Lindy loo
                                Linda

Comment

More of Lindyloos problems

HI Cornelius Baker had a sister that emigrated to AMerica she had four daughters who in 1924 were aged from 8 yrs to 4mths and they lived on 67th street New York (personal letter from her sister to my mother)

In 1976 thier uncleThomas (brother to Corn. ) in England died, I have the letters of Admin from his estate it shows their mother Helen Bradley deceased and her share to go to these four girls but the only info it states is
                                  Mrs Mary..... Mrs Eileen Phillips.... Mrs Francis.... and Mrs Margaret........to inherit a sixth share
                                  I have tried on many occasions to extract from the Solicitor that dealt with this info as to wether these women were ever traced or if their inheritance is still held It was only a very minimal amount, but despite register letters and phone calls i have had no reply

Their Mother
                                  Ellen Baker was born 21 Nov 1885 in Derrymore near Tralee in Ireland she emigrated in 1912.In april 1936 she was in hospital with cancer of the womb and slashed her wrists and died as a result
                                  Ellen emigrated Sept 18 1912 on the Oceanic from Queenstown, and going to Cousin Bridget Connor 6825 Honore St Chicago, and was single,She never got to the cousin but stayed in NY

I have an old photo of her and Mr Bradley before they left for NY i Think fibs were told by ellen to enable her to get away with Bradley maybe

Francis Bradley was on the same ship, he was going to his brother John at the Barge office NYork
                                  Ellen and Bradley married in Ny
                                  Her sister Mary emigrated later and lost contact at some stage with sister

Where can I start to trace them?
                                  Last edited by Lindyloo; 30-04-08, 11:09.
                                  Linda

Comment

Originally posted by borobabs View Post
                                    Ahh found it right have sent it to you Kite ;;
                                    must not do that late at night again ,,,lol
                                    Thanks for the effort and time and money spent looking for my relatives on the Scots peoples site Lindyloo
                                    Linda

Comment

No problem Lindyloo, was just annoyed they wouldnt open last night properly for me , but whatever it was is now sorted and I can once again view the things I had there , so did me a favour as well ;;;lol

Comment

Melville /Baker marriage

Originally posted by borobabs View Post
                                        No problem Lindyloo, was just annoyed they wouldnt open last night properly for me , but whatever it was is now sorted and I can once again view the things I had there , so did me a favour as well ;;;lol
                                        Sending you a PM, Lindyloo
                                        Linda

Comment

Lindyloo, I did spend some time trying to find Helen / Ellen and her children on the 1930 US census, but had no luck, sorry.
                                          KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                          X