Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 24th April 2008 is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarah Burrows to

William HEYwood

18 September 1832, Manchester Cathedral. (extracted)

OC

Comment

The IGI (FamilySearch) lists Charlotte Stanford's baptism at Manchester Cathedral on 15 Aug 1858, parents William and Sarah. There is also a Thomas Earle Stanford baptised there on the same day, same parents, so I'm guessing that he was Charlotte's younger brother and they waited until he was born to get Charlotte baptised. I can't see a birth registration for Thomas Earle Stanford on either FreeBMD or Lancashire BMD, so maybe they didn't get the children's births registered.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Samuel Haywood, baptised I March 1835, Manchester Cathedral, parents William and Sarah (extracted)

Several rather confused sub entries give his BIRTH date as 21 Jun 1832 - born at Manchester Cathedral, lol, but this might be worth following up, as it may really be a baptism.

And one to knock the Leyland chap out of the running:

Samuel Heywood, bap 4 March 1832, Leyland, parents Will Heywood and ELLEN (extracted)

OC

Comment

Oooh, well done! lol

This is going quite well, isn't it!

Just those pesky Thorntons to sort out now........*considers a visit to the chocolate shop for inspiration*

Comment

Sorry for the interruption - I can see you are all working very hard for her.

Linda isn't at home this week end so is not able to respond to the thread.
            She may come to my house this morning, if so I will ask her to look in.
            Kathleen

Comment

I've been trying to pair up men called Joseph Thornton who were in the Manchester area in 1851 (around the time when John Thorton was born, but he might have come just after the census :() with Joseph Thorntons aged 9ish on the 1861, with or without a father.

Of course it's not worked yet! lol

There are four Joseph Thorntons on the wet 1851 though.....

Comment

Thanks Kathleen

Comment

I have just called Linda to update her on all your hard work and she will be here in a short while.

She will be posting on my username, if thats ok, as the new password she was given (and can't remember) is at her home
                  Kathleen

Comment

Hello Kath, she shouldn't really use your username, but as you've let us know I think we can let her do that until someone from Admin comes online and can sort out her password for her

Comment

lindyloo here via kathleen, thank you for all your hard work I'm astounded, I can only get to Ancestry via the Library

This info is taking some digesting...... I cant see the connection yet of Wiiliam Stanford marrying Sarah Heywood or Burrows? Being the parents of Charlotte, and William Heywood marrying a Sarah Burrows in 1832

I will go to the Library as soon as I can to get the census details

Delighted about Mary Ts birth any more info on her brothers and sisters? Did anyone spot the difference in ages of James J son age 12 on the 1891 and James son 6 on the 1901 census for the Warrens Did the earlier James die or is this second child not theirs by birth

Can anyone trace the childrens births of John and Charlotte?

John may have been known as Joseph
                      From memory i have seen a John on a census that was a lodger another with his widowed mother
                      Could I get cemetary records for death of his father Joseph?
                      One birth i did find some time back was a John born in 1854 in Ashton u lyne which is in Gt Mcr anyone found this ? As the ages dont seem to coerrespond on any of the census

I have given the childrens names of both families as a pointer in case it can lead to the names of their predeccessors
                      Thanks again I am so grateful Lindyloo
                      Last edited by Kath nr the Crooked Spire; 27-04-08, 11:54.
                      Kathleen

Comment

Lindyloo

Sarah was born Burrows, married (1) Heywood (2) Stamford.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Kath nr the Crooked Spire View Post
                          This info is taking some digesting...... I cant see the connection yet of Wiiliam Stanford marrying Sarah Heywood or Burrows? Being the parents of Charlotte, and William Heywood marrying a Sarah Burrows in 1832
                          Lindy, it's the same Sarah - she was born as Sarah Burrows, her first husband was William Heywood and her second husband was William Stanford.

Snap, OC!
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Kath nr the Crooked Spire View Post
                            ...... I cant see the connection yet of Wiiliam Stanford marrying Sarah Heywood or Burrows? Being the parents of Charlotte, and William Heywood marrying a Sarah Burrows in 1832
                            Let me try and explain that a bit better (hope I get it right!)

Charlotte Stanford was the daughter of William Stanford and Sarah. Sarah had been married twice.....she started life as Sarah Burrows. She married William Haywood in 1832 and married William Stanford in 1855.

Comment

Oops, snap and snap! lol

Comment

So, these are John and Charlotte's children from the censuses:
                                William born about 1875-6
                                John H born about 1876-7
                                Sarah A born about 1879-80 (age 18 months on the 1881 census)
                                Alfred born about 1881-2
                                Abraham born about 1884-5
                                Herbert born 1891
                                Charlotte born about 1896-7
                                KiteRunner

Comment

... and I can't see any of them on Lancashire BMD. FreeBMD has the following entries, all births except the one death:
                                  John Henry Thornton Jun 1875 Chorlton 8c 660
                                  William Thornton Jun 1875 Chorlton 8c 860
                                  death of John Henry Thornton Sep 1875 age 0 Chorlton 8c 407
                                  (I haven't had time to check the page numbers, but I'm wondering whether one of the above is wrong and this John Henry was a twin to William?)
                                  John Henry Thornton Jun 1877 Chorlton 8c 861
                                  Sarah Ann Thornton Jun 1880 Chorlton 8c 866
                                  Alfred Thornton Jun 1882 Chorlton 8c 886
                                  Abraham Thornton Sep 1884 Chorlton 8c 841
                                  Herbert Thornton Jun 1891 Chorlton 8c 991
                                  Charlotte Thornton Mar 1897 Chorlton 8c 932

You should check the page numbers are correct (by looking at the index pages) before ordering certificates for any of these. There are a lot of Thorntons in Chorlton district so it could be that some of these are the wrong ones! I bet there might be a few more for this family who died young, given the large gaps between some of the children.
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Lindyloos Problems

Hi thanks for all the hard work am back home now just checking info before i dash to library to get on ancestry before they shut back on line this eveving i am so pleased with all the info...... forever grateful Lindy.....
                                    Linda

Comment

Lindyloos problems

hi This is yet another attempt to post a thread in reply to all your hard work I have just spent some length tediously typing facts and figures that i acn only presume are somewhere in cyber space now because I cant find them!!!!!
                                      here goes ..... I found a John Thornton age 17 a striker on the 1861 census Ref RC10/3996 a lodger at Mill st Hulme birthplace not known

My John was living in Riga St hulme which crossed Mill st when he married Charlotte,Dec25 1871, age given as 21

In 1881 he is at 9 Ivy Court Hulme age 28 born Hulme
                                      In 1891 he is at 27 hargreaves St age 38 and born in Mcr

Could it be that if he was not in when the census was taken and as he was only a lodger his landlady didnt know his birth place?

Am I on the right track???

Can anyone help with a Catherine Melville please??

Married to my grandfather Cornelius baker she died in 1920
                                      A newspaper article dated 21.8.1920 states that they lived at 10 chapel St
                                      Dumfries and that the funeral would take place that day (a Sat) leaving the Parkhead Fever Hospital Greenbrae for St Andrews Cemetary
                                      They had two young sons Michael born 18.7.1917 and James born 14.7.1918 both are now deceased but were cherished uncles to me and dear brothers to my orphaned mother
                                      Cornelius made his way to manchester after Catherines death to be with relatives
                                      I have tried to track cAtherine down without success
                                      Last edited by Lindyloo; 29-04-08, 22:13.
                                      Linda

Comment

The John Thornton census entry sounds right, and yes, if he was out when the enumerator called and his landlady didn't know where he lived - and she hadn't asked him before he went out! - it would say n/k or something like that.

As for Catherine, are you trying to find out where she was born and who her parents were? If so, then have you got her marriage certificate, and what details does it give?
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Lindys loos problems

Question Folks? If it is my John in Mills St on the 1861 Census as a lodger where do I go from here I only know his father was Joseph.

Would the church records of his marriage show more info than the Cert

Where can I access them? I would guess it was a C of E church as it is signed by a Rector on the cert

As most of Hulme was demolished in the 60s I dont know if this church still
                                          stands (ST Marks Hulme)
                                          Linda

Comment

Working...
                                          X