No announcement yet.

Looking for Alice White nee Emes b 1862 Lambeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it's quite possible Alice lied about her age - she seems to have had no qualms about lying on other fronts LOL

I think the tree I looked at is right and she's not 'mine'.

Thanks for looking anyway, it all helps to eliminate the possibles.

Margaret

Comment

Just an update on this to say - Eureka!!

Using the AncestryDNA result from my stepdaughter who is a great grandchild of Alice White nee Emes I investigated a match in New Zealand for a 4th-6th cousin who had a private tree. Once I was given access to this I found that there were only 9 people but I could see the surname Emms which was one of the variations I had researched before.

I have now researched this line fully and found from trees put up by other researchers a Mary Ann Emms born 1861 Lambeth 'married' John Lake in 1883. There is no marriage record but they are together with children in 1891. Other researchers had her dying in 1894 but when I investigated the death index on GRO I could not confirm it was her. I bought a pdf for one who it might have been but not her.

I looked at the GRO birth index for females with surname Lake MMN Emms and found Rosie Maud Lake born 1892 Islington. I bought the pdf for this birth and found Mary Ann Alice Emms as mother.

Sadly I also found 2 other girls born to the 'marriage' both of whom died young but the son born 1887 lived to adulthood, wife and family. I am now in touch with a descendent to find out more.

So this DNA malarkey is useful but be warned - you will probably have to do the work yourself to make links and find common ancestors and there are many DNA matches listed that either have no trees or very small ones as in my case.

Margaret
      Last edited by margaretmarch; 31-12-17, 16:03.

Comment

What a lovely outcome for you Margaret.. just goes to show that perseverance does pay off! well done x
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
        X