Lancaster county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Steps up onto Pedant's Soapbox*

The county is, strictly speaking, The County of LANCASTERshire. Most of my old bmd certs have this version of the county name on them.

Lancashire is an abbreviated form of Lancastershire. Some old documents show this by the use of an apostrophe, i.e. Lanca'shire.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Lindyloo View Post
      hi, Lancashire is the County, Lancaster is a town in Lancashire, Hulme was in the Chorlton District of Manchester in the County of Lancashire for the purposes of the old Census, I am a Mancunian and am chasing ancestors from the district of Hulme Can I help you or vice versus, Lindyloo
      Hi lindyloo,i'm afraid i've never done well with geography!

I'm afraid the only two surname's i've been looking at for the area are Hatton,and Craven,somewhere on this thread i found the nearest church to Baxter street where my grandfather was born,I think it was St.Mary's,if you're ever in a position to look up records for there i'd be interested in baptism's between about 1873-75,the parent's would be John and Margaret,thank-you for your kind offer.
      "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Given that John's siblings were all baptised in Over, why don't you borrow the PR through the LDS family history centre? Helston would probably be the nearest centre for you.

I think the problem is more that the LDS haven't trancribed those years yet, than that the baptism doesn't exist.

OC
        i know what the PR is,but what is LDS?

Anyway,i'd just like to say a public thank-you to Jean,she found John's baptism for me,
        11/8/1839, John Hatton. father Samuel,flatman,living over
        " " Elizabeth mother .
        Yesss!

I've applied for Amelia's birth certificate,and i think i'll go for my dad's first marriage in 1945,see if that yield's anything.There's also Silas s j marriage,earlier in 1933.

I'm off to bed,need my beauty sleep..

Comment

LDS = Church of the Latter Day Saints = the Mormons = familyseach website, which hosts the IGI.

Their family history centres are open, free, to all, of any faith or none. They are not allowed to refer to their religion unless you ask them a direct and specific question.

I use mine all the time to view parish registers (filmed originals) and loads of other stuff.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            LDS = Church of the Latter Day Saints = the Mormons = familyseach website, which hosts the IGI.

Their family history centres are open, free, to all, of any faith or none. They are not allowed to refer to their religion unless you ask them a direct and specific question.

I use mine all the time to view parish registers (filmed originals) and loads of other stuff.

OC
            That's something i didn't know about!
            If they keep filmed parish register's for Lancashire i'm going to have to make time to get over to Helston,it could definatly be worth my while,
            thank's for that tip.

Comment

Alanjohn

You have to order the film you require, as local centres only have local stuff on permanent loan.

You have to go to the centre to order the film - about £3 (covers postage etc)

OC

Comment

Had a reply from Lewisham local studies today,my grandad Silas passed away in 1941 in Ladywell road,the number was 82,which was an old folk's home,i think Amelia,his wife,might have passed before him.

Comment

been reading the GRO thread,that look's a bit worrying,hope the one's i ordered turn up ok...

Comment

Originally posted by alanjohn View Post

I'm afraid the only two surname's i've been looking at for the area are Hatton,and Craven,somewhere on this thread i found the nearest church to Baxter street where my grandfather was born,I think it was St.Mary's,if you're ever in a position to look up records for there i'd be interested in baptism's between about 1873-75,the parent's would be John and Margaret,thank-you for your kind offer.
                    Sorry it wasn't Mary's it was St.Michaels,i believe it was on Lavendar street Hulme,any look up for those date's at that church would be a help,the parent's were John and Margaret Hatton,thank's again,
                    Alan.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Hope View Post
                      There is a marriage of John Hatton and Margaret Craven 1871 Manchester Cathedral.

Alan........the parish records are kept at Manchester Archives Central Library Manchester not at the records office

I have just remembered that sometime ago I said I would look at the records for St Wilfreds Hulme ........sorry I forgot:o
                      Hi Pat just been reading alanjohns threads as he is looking for folk in Hulme like me and I see that you say you were going to look at the records for St Wilfreds, all my dads family went to school there and would have been baptised there, if you are going is it possible to do a look up for me? Lindyloo
                      Linda

Comment

I'm afraid the only two surname's i've been looking at for the area are Hatton,and Craven,somewhere on this thread i found the nearest church to Baxter street where my grandfather was born,I think it was St.Mary's,if you're ever in a position to look up records for there i'd be interested in baptism's between about 1873-75,the parent's would be John and
                        Margaret,thank-you for your kind offer.
                        Hi alan I have an old map of Hulme, the whole area was demolished in the early 60's to make way for redevelopment barring a few landmarks. I used to live near St Marys Church on Moss Lane I will look for Baxter ST and any other churches nearbyon my map......I do not live in Mcr now so cannot do any look ups for you..... Just spotted your mention of St Michaels and Lavender St...... Lindyloo
                        Last edited by Lindyloo; 30-04-08, 22:22.
                        Linda

Comment

There is a marriage of John Hatton and Margaret Craven 1871 Manchester Cathedral.

Alan........the parish records are kept at Manchester Archives Central Library Manchester not at the records office

I have just remembered that sometime ago I said I would look at the records for St Wilfreds Hulme ........sorry I forgot:o
                          Hi Pat have posted to alan and spotted your mention of look ups at St Wilfreds My fathers family went to St Wilfreds School and would have been baptised there It is a lot to ask but if poss a loook up would be fantastic.........Lindyloo
                          Linda

Comment

I can look at parish records if you know which church

Manchester City Council - Church Register List - Introduction

Hulme and Chorlton are districts of Manchester
                            just noticed you have the surname Sharkey I have just found a Sharkey from Dumfries married a Melville gave birth to a daughter catherine in 1896????? Lindyloo
                            Linda

Comment

Lavender Street Hulme

Hi Alan I have found Lavender St an Baxter St on my map of old Hulme Lavender St is very near to St Wilfreds RC Church Baxter St is near St Marys which may have been C. of E My fathers family attended St Wilfreds around the 1920s I have a spare copy of a map showing the whole of Hulme as it was. I do not know how to scan yet!!!! but it would cover at least 3 A4s Good Luck Lindyloo
                              Linda

Comment

Aah,it would be St.Mary's then as i believe the family were C of E.
                                I contacted Manchester local studies,they were the one's who told me the closest church to Baxter Street was St.Michaels.
                                I'll have to pop out in a sec,my dog's given me the eye so i think it's walkies(guilt trip..).

I also got the marriage certificate for my uncle's marriage in Croydon,and the birth of a previously unknown aunt in Penge,all good stuff.

Comment

an unknown aunt..?

As i said on another thread yesterday i had my 2 certificate's arrive,one is for,Amelia Lilian Margaret Hatton born 27th Aug 1910.My aunt.
                                  I've had a quick look at freebmd to see if she died young,haven't seen anything yet.

The address at birth was 88 Ridsdale Road,Penge(seem's like the parent's were flying round Croydon!).I have noticed a death on A***y in London,1993,but i haven't got a subscription at the mo' so i'll pursue that again.

The other was a marriage for my uncle sid.
                                  One of the witnesses was an A.M. Hatton,so i'm thinking Amelia was still around then,and that all took place in Penge too.

Comment

Samuel not a bigamist..?

Just had a peek at the new familysearch beta site and i think the other Mary Hatton mentioned here was married to Isaac,they had the children James,Henry,John,and Isaac was a flatman.

Also,
                                    There is a death "mary anne hatton,July 22 1856,age 49."
                                    and,they give the image of samuels last marriage Samuel Hatton,widower,and Anne Davies,widow.

Anybody researching Cheshire check out the new site.

Comment

As i said on another thread yesterday i had my 2 certificate's arrive,one is for,Amelia Lilian Margaret Hatton born 27th Aug 1910.My aunt.
                                      I've had a quick look at freebmd to see if she died young,haven't seen anything yet.

The address at birth was 88 Ridsdale Road,Penge(seem's like the parent's were flying round Croydon!).I have noticed a death on A***y in London,1993,but i haven't got a subscription at the mo' so i'll pursue that again.

The other was a marriage for my uncle sid.
                                      One of the witnesses was an A.M. Hatton,so i'm thinking Amelia was still around then,and that all took place in Penge too.
                                      Don't hink the 1993 death is hers,and i've been through the marriage's up to the 1960's,so i have my doubt's about a marriage,going to start looking at post 1933 death's.
                                      Last edited by alanjohn; 04-06-08, 11:09. Reason: edit

Comment

Hatton 1891 census.

Carried on looking and puting out request's and i've had a success.
                                        Someone found John,margaret and Silas on the 1891 census,they are living in Shrewsbury.
                                        John is transcribed as Haton(one N),and Margaret and silas are down as Williams!
                                        They've been mis-transcribed,silas is spelt silus,the date's and place's of birth all match though,it's just the names that have got a bit mixed.
                                        Just posted this in case anyone's interested in he Hatton's.
                                        Alan.

Comment

• I have just felt my life expectancy drop by a couple of years seeing this thread re-emerge!!! lol

Why is your board name not Mr Benn, Alan?

Comment

Working...
                                          X