No announcement yet.

Possible Emmigration? Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 1911 Scottish census has a Jessie Stevenson aged 35 living in Partick.
    Is she yours?
    (sorry costs 5 credits for me to look - so will leave it to you whether you feel it's worth it!)
    Elaine

Comment

HI Elaine I tried it but she is living with a William Stevenson - married 13 years with 3 children so looks a dead end

Just can't work out if she died, left etc. The children of John and Jessie are with Jane Stevenson on the 1911 census and if your theory about John living in South Shields is correct then it looks as though they either split up, or she died and John moved away and left his children with his mother

Steven

PS will keep looking for Jessie Stevenson's death
      Last edited by stevie2006; 30-05-11, 18:58.

Comment

Elaine do you think on the marriage certificate that he gave his mothers maiden name ie Stevenson, his mothers married name ie Hilicks and then for good measure his grandmothers maiden name ie Ronald or Reynolds?

Steven

Comment

I suppose there is a possibility that his mother was originally Jane Reynolds and was married to a John Stevenson at some point, and that he had died before John jnr. was born in 1873. If Jane did not have a husband when John jnr. was born then he may have been registered as illegitimate (born out of wedlock).
          Difficult to know!
          Elaine

Comment

Elaine I found the birth of James Stevenson's sister Mary born 1879 and low and behold her name at birth is Mary Reynolds Hillicks and on her marriage it is Mary Ronald Hillicks so that kind of backs up what we thought. I think his mother was Jane Stevenson but for some reason her mothers maiden name ie Ronald or Reynolds was included on it. Can't work out who the father might be - I will see if I can find a John Stevenson

Steven

Comment

At least with the Mary birth certificate (1879) you have confirmed a link to the Ronald/Reynolds name - shows that it is always worthwhile going sideways from the main line to find the info!
              Elaine

Comment

Can anyone check ancestry for the 1851 and 1861 censuses for William Hillicks. He was born in 1846. I know his father James Hillicks was alive in 1951 (he died in 1860) and his mother Rose Ann died in 1871. I also managed to find 3 siblings of William tonight they are James born 1844, John born 1849 and Susan also born 1849.

I have tried Scotlands people under every variation of the surname ie Hillicks, Hillick, Hillock, Hillocks but no luck. I know they lived in and around Partick mainly but sometimes Greenock

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

Steven

Comment

1851 Ancestry transcription

James Hilick 28
                  Rosannah Hilick 25
                  Cather Hilick 8
                  Jas Hilick 6
                  William Hilick 4
                  John Hilick 1
                  Susan Hilick 1

Parish: Paisley Abbey; ED: 7; Page: 16; Line: 12; Roll: 1184;

Address - High Street, Johnstone, Renfrewshire
                  Elaine

Comment

1861 Ancestry transcription

William Hillock born 1847 Johnstone Renfrewshire
                    Paisley Abbey; ED: 2; Page: 22; Line: 23; Roll: CSSCT1861_74; Year: 1861.

Address 10 Rankine Street, Johnstone
                    Occ. Cotton mill hand

Household
                    Janet Mathew 46
                    William Mathew 78
                    William Hillock 14 (boarder)
                    Patrick Denny 46
                    Wm John Shaw
                    Elaine

Comment

A possible 1861 for Rose and a couple of the children
                      Parish: Paisley Abbey; ED: 5; Page: 33; Line: 20; Roll: CSSCT1861_74; Year: 1861.

John Quail 40
                      Rosan Quail 35 - could this be Rosannah ? although place of birth given as Johnstone, not Ireland!
                      Jane Hillicks 16 - b Johnstone - this shows as stepson, so could be James
                      Catherine Hillicks 18 - b Johnstone - listed as lodger?
                      Mary Hillicks 9
                      Stwart Hillicks 9
                      John Simet 34
                      Jane C Harra 40

Address: Houstown Sqr, Johnstone
                      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine that was the only spelling I didn't try in 1851 I will look it up on SP

Re 1861 I know that Rose Ann married a John Quail so that's right too. I wonder what happened to John and Susan in 1861? No sign of them I hope nothing bad happened

Thank you so much Elaine

Steven

Comment

Not having much luck with John or Susan.
                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                          X