Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Englishman in a Scottish regiment ? Uh ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're welcome

Concerning the newspaper site, if you belong to a library, you should be able to use your own library card number to view the newspapers.
    Joy

Comment

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Chris if you have been away so long then you will not know about the changes to Familysearch

Click the above link and scroll down to see the world coverage of records now on line and for the UK click Europe for the list of what is available and it is daily being updated so you need to keep checking, and remember less info brings more results which can then be narrowed down.
      You can see the actual registers in Manchester and Lancashire Yorkshire but need to trawl through them to find what you want.
      If you need any info on using them than I am getting quite good at it.

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by Sherlockslovechild View Post
        its amazing how genealogy has changed and advanced in the last few years - ive had a couple of years rest after frantic people searching and now all i see is the genealogist and ancestry taking over the universe - charges for this ,charges for that -they are all on a massive gravy train lol.....whats a library card edna ?- looks like ive been out of the loop too long lol...what happened to the good old index bmd pages viewable for free ?
        The good old bmd pages are still free - being transcribed slowly by volunteers!

There have been so many database collections put online over the past 10 years but obviously it costs companies to do this. I don't think it's unreasonable to charge a subscription for viewing the records - the main problem is choosing the right one - do you go for Ancestry, Findmypast, The Genealogist etc? - and of course whichever one you select you are sure to find something in one of the others that you need!

FamilySearch is one to watch - regularly being updated and lots of useful information on it ... and it's FREE!
        Elaine

Comment

Snap Edna!
          Elaine

Comment

Familysearch are trying to put all of their data from the Utah collection on line with a view to saving costs on storage ect.,
            There is an s after the h ttp to secure it so I think perhaps one day they may start to charge for the service

Edna

Comment

yep dont mind paying but as you say its finding a source that is comprehensive - finding my cousins in oz has sparked a revival because one is an author ( historicals - name frances burke australia 4 books published) and the other is an amateur historian - I can envisage brain meltdown soon.
              im planning on going over in a years time and have set myself a target to present a hand scribed family tree all framed - it seems the scribing gene comes from john and harold smith.
              added to that is a possible venture into tracking down living people part time - there is a private heir hunter forum with about 500 members each paying £ 40 a year ( Im more interested in the people tracing rather than the bounty )-something that gets the blood going as edna will remember on the bbc site - I wonder now if that particular story could be dramatised by my author cousin - we will see.

with regards the brian story on the bbc , I'm cetain there is a twist that has yet to be proved regrding a fire or explosion in scotland - I tried to take it further but found myself hitting a wall of silence - I instinctively thought that there was a cover up somewhere.

Comment

I can't remember anything about a fire or explosion, I shall have to read it again Chris, what date is this? after 1900 or before as if iut is before then the Newspaper site may have it.
                People on there are still talking about it and remember you well although lots of the nasty ones are gone it has slimmed down a bit and changed beyond recognition.
                If you want any help digging it up I know exactly how to find it.

Edna

Comment

Hello Sherlock!

If you are ever at a loose end, we can always do with another brain on Wallaby's Hospital Records thread on the Adoptions Board, although I must warn you, you will be in for a VERY long read!

(I still remember, and talk about, Brian's Story).

OC

Comment

when the mother died in her 30's about the time of the second world war - there was info regarding a fire or explosion at an airfield in fife or thereabouts -the cousins that were found in canada came up with this -thats why they were surprised she was certified as dying of TB.I thought there was serious detail in the war years and just after to warrant that being the main story -what with the husband having a new family in england and naming two sons with their names and actually speaking to the eldest who remembers seeing the mothers name tatooed on his fathers arm - a lot of wartime drama -then with the uncle from canada looking for them and getting a dfc for 60 sorties in a lancaster and then the other uncle dying in japan (remember his best mate in the camp went back home and married his girlfriend) - so much drama - reckon it would lend itself well to chapters or episodes perhaps split up by location - whitehaven-isle of man- canada-japan-home etc.

Comment

if and when i get to oz i must see bashful and see what she thinks - finding my cousins in oz seems very fateful - my mum and I have illustrative skills - all makes sense .....a lot to think about -its how to present the drama in an effective way really.

Comment

I obviously have missed a lot - the last I know of this story was when Brian had a flash back to his mother being taken off in an ambulance and he never saw her again.

OC

Comment

The first message in the thread was removed a year or so later by someone objecting to something inj it, possibly living people mentioned.

The link if you want to read it again OC. but no where near as long as Wallabys Hospital Records Thread now in its 11th formula. as well a sthe facts and reference thread too.

We all say it should be made into a book or a darama as it was so mind blowing the twists and turns, and Chris going off to Isle of Man had us all on the edge of our seats, and nothing got done at home watching for his next message.

Edna

Comment

she died in carlisle hospital of TB
                            now TB makes you more fertile
                            she had another child,previously unknown,buried with her,stillborn but another lived till 4 years old called roger ( mums maiden name was rogers )
                            the step father - mr guest - paid for her grave but quickly married again after putting the boys in care - he married a lady also in the army and they moved to the isle of wight and had 4 children.

are you keeping up ? lol

the mother who died had 2 brothers - brians uncles - one left Isle Of Man for Canada and joined the airforce ,the other joined the British Army
                            During the end of the war The canadian went looking for his brother and 2 nephews to no avail
                            Uncle in army died in a japanese concentration camp
                            Uncle in airforce got a DFC and returned to canada to start a family >>his 2 daughers located >>>first photos brian ever saw of his mother and as cildren playing in IOM
                            Their parents ie brians grandparents stayed in IOM and are buried there.

Comment

yes the thread has been closed but they really need to refine privacy laws -for instance if a living person does not mind their name being made public or circumstances etc hen that is in itself consent -after all the law or regulation is only there to protect the one person.

the difference in access across various countries is staggering

a good example is not being able to look up a death record after 1980 in Oz but the ryerson Index in the same country has records freely available to the present day

canada is similar - but the city directories published each year blow privacy out of the water

In England you can walk into a library to freely view say an elctoral role in 1972 but if i ask a staff member over the phone who was living at 25 huskisson street in the same book they are not permitted to tell me, and contrary to that if i ask the question " was joe bloggs living at 25 blah blah...?" then they are allowed to confirm or deny !!
                              Last edited by Sherlockslovechild; 06-02-11, 15:46.

Comment

I agree with that Sherlock and indeed I do remember that in the thread (on GR?) you opened by saying that you had Brian's permission to put up the facts.

I am the first person to protect people's privacy but sometimes I do think it is taken to extremely silly lengths.

OC

Comment

I think there will be a lot of people who will disagree with you on this Chris and the likes of the BBC fearing legal difficulties, but I think Bash had them close the thread eventually for private reasons
                                  I do hope you find someway of finding out the real truth, Freedom of information act now so not sure how that would work in this instance.
                                  But please to let us know if anything new ever turns up.

Edna

Comment

yes there is an ongoing clash of 2 acts if memory serves -freedom of information act and the data protection act really lock horns over the subject of elctoral roles

Comment

with the search for my cousins in australia there is a good example - here were 2 people with a very common surname unable to find us because they didnt know my mums married name and conversly I didnt know her married name because there is a 50 year rule -as luck would have it they celebrated their 50th anniversary 2 years ago but how many people marry for that long !!.....and we have potentially missed 20 years of contact....both sides were willing ...notices in the papers are a waste of time -who checks for them every day ? LOL

Comment

Could Brian himself ask for information on his Mothers death under the Freedom of Information Act, as this is not going to involve the 100 year rule or that sort of stuff. I am not sure about the final events that happened Chris but would the FIA help

Edna

Comment

I think next of kin do have more access rights in certain circumstances - correct me if im wrong but the 100 year rule may solely be used for information provided by instutions but then again the category of information is imperitive - for instance staff lists may well be accessible with regards a hospital but not medical details.

Comment

Working...
                                          X