No announcement yet.

Peter Pettitt possible emigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Elaine will go ahead and order that (my wife thinks I will be bankrupt soon as one arrives nearly every day!!!!!)

Do you think trying to find a Canadian Marriage might be the answer? It would give his parents names hopefully

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
      I think I've found Peter John in 1881, with parents Peter & Mary. His birthplace is given as Southwark.

scuda
      Can you give the link or reference please Scuda?
      Elaine

Comment

I found it on familysearch, so I haven't looked at the original, but:
        Dwelling 17 Charles St
        Census Place Lambeth, Surrey, England
        RG11 Piece / Folio 0587 / 114 Page Number 47

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Scuda that can't be him in 1881 - his parents are Jonathan and Sarah. In the 1871 census he is living in Tower Hamlets Mile End Old Town, London.

By 1881 his father is in the workhouse and his sister Clara (my great great grandmother) is with her mother Sarah still in Tower Hamlets - but no sign of Peter

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
            I found it on familysearch, so I haven't looked at the original, but:
            Dwelling 17 Charles St
            Census Place Lambeth, Surrey, England
            RG11 Piece / Folio 0587 / 114 Page Number 47

scuda
            The age of the Peter John on that census is 10.

Think that probably refers to this Peter John
            Births Mar 1871
            Petit Peter John St. Saviour 1d 87

I'm still happy with the 1868 birth registration in Mile End!
            Elaine

Comment

Scuda that can't be him in 1881 - his parents are Jonathan and Sarah. In the 1871 census he is living in Tower Hamlets Mile End Old Town, London.
              Sorry to confuse you, I know it can't be your Peter, which is why I was flagging it up, as I thought the Peter John birth that Elaine found is likely to be this chap, not the one you want. The age is a bit out, though, so if Elaine is still happy with the birth she found don't let me put you off.

scuda
              Last edited by scuda; 06-02-11, 14:25.
              Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

If he really was Peter John, as in the birth Elaine has found, I suppose he might be lurking in 1881 as John, rather than Peter.

scuda

Comment

The only possible I've found in 1881 is John Pettitt age 12, a patient in The London Hospital Whitechapel. His birthplace is Hackney, though, which is probably no good.

RG11; Piece: 445; Folio: 97; Page: 28; GSU roll: 1341097.

scuda

Comment

If Peter served with the Hussars he may have joined whilst they were deployed to Canada needs more research for papers as it is possible that all pre WW1 aren't on film yet TNA should have them.

Steven - Jonathan Pettit abt 1842 married Sarah POOLE b. Stepney (abt.1842) in 1860 St Dunstan Parish. Stepney.-I think you may already know this. Sarahs parents were William POOLE 1813 and Clara ?? 1822.

If Charles C PETTIT is Peters son, and he didn't die until 1989 age 87, then you may have a whole shipload of rellies out there

Comment

Originally posted by Inahaystack View Post
                      If Charles C PETTIT is Peters son, and he didn't die until 1989 age 87, then you may have a whole shipload of rellies out there
                      Cannot see a Charles Pettit in the 1911 Canadian census.
                      However, there is a Charles C Petty born c Westbuty, Compton, Quebec, born March 1903 - shown as adopted son and living with this family:

Adam J Ross 65
                      Maria Ross 55
                      Thomas A Ross 28
                      Hilda M Ross 20
                      Mabe Ross 15
                      Charles C Petty 8
                      (living in Westbury, Compton)
                      Elaine

Comment

On the cemetery records we have Charles C PETTIT b 19 Mar 1902 . Supposing...... Peter was with the Hussars and his wife had died .... good enough reason for Charles to be 'adopted' while Peter was away ?

Comment

Originally posted by Inahaystack View Post
                          Supposing...... Peter was with the Hussars and his wife had died .... good enough reason for Charles to be 'adopted' while Peter was away ?
                          That's possible - a pity Jennie is not on the Bury Cemetery site.
                          Elaine

Comment

SEE what I have found

Lennox, E. Jane, d. 12 May 1902, age: 24yrs, wife of Peter Petitt

Nina ) )

Comment

... where did you find that?
                              Elaine

Comment

Having trawled through literally thousands of deaths in the County of Compton for Peters wife. I had a lightbulb moment and realised (at long last) that all female deaths are listed by maiden name...... GRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Nina

Comment

Sorry should have said.... same place , Bury cemetery

Comment

I looked at those and didn't realise they were under maiden names. Well done.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Quebec Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1967
                                      John Peter Petitt / Eliza Jane Lennox
                                      Marriage 1900
                                      Religion: Church of England
                                      Place of Worship or Institution - Bury and Lingwick (Church of England)
                                      Province - Québec (Quebec)
                                      Elaine

Comment

Lennox, E. Jane, d. 12 May 1902, age: 24yrs, wife of Peter Petitt
                                        Well done Nina! Now, is it possible to find a wife for Charles C? I suppose that would be too much of a marathon? I don't mind looking through some of the records if you point me in the right direction.

scuda

Comment

It was funny really Elaine, because you would have expected those 3 deaths to be together, when I couldn't find Jennie/Jane I assumed she was probably of a diff religious denomination so just cariied on merrily - right through to the last darn cemetery Pffff..

Nina

Comment

Working...
                                          X