No announcement yet.

Peter Pettitt possible emigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do think you have the right peter, and it was great to see his birth certificate and get another address for sarah

Comment

• Glad I could help darannon

Just received another certificate today (not another one my wife said!!!!!!)

It is the marriage of Jonathan Pettit to Sarah Rix on September 13th 1840 in West Ham. Jonathan is the grandfather of Peter and Clara Pettit (my direct ancestor). His father is noted as Edward Pettit occupation carpenter.

Therefore now I know Peter and Clara's parents are Jonathan Pettit and Sarah Poole and that Jonathan's parents are Jonathan Pettit and Sarah Rix and that their fathers are Edward Pettit and John Rix.

I know nothing about Edward Pettit - would anyone be able to do any earlier census searches for me - unfortunately I no longer have access any longer. He must be in the 1841 census and hopefully still alive in some more.

Let me know Darrannon if you would like a copy of this marriage certificate

Steven

Comment

• PS Probably the end of the Pettit line as everything would be now pre 1837 but will still TTY to find some more information on Peter and his life in Canada

Steven

Comment

• thanks steve a copy of any certificates would be great - i will pm you my email address. Likewise, if you want copies of sarah's birth or william and clara's marriage, let me know. Do you already have jonathan and sarah in 1871? I'm not sure if you have already mentioned it, but i have found them at 1 govey place, mile end road, mile end - they have children: frederick age 9, william age 5, peter age 3 and clara age 1. Apologies if that repeats things you already know. Also in 1861, just jonathan and sarah both age 20, at 6 alfred? terrace, mile end old town. talk soon.

Comment

• Hi darannon thats a copy of Jonathan's birth in 1841 and his parents marriage in 1840

Can't think of where to go next with the Pettit's

Steven

Comment

• hi again - i'm looking at the pettits on ancestry - having 2 generations of johnathan/sarah is confusing! Anyway, there is a baptism for george pettit at st Dunstans Stepney, parents johnathan/sarah - johnathan is a carpenter and they are living in ernest street. The dob is 1st july 1852, but the baptism isn't until 13th march 1861 - hope this is helpful.

Comment

• Thanks for that I am hoping someone might help me find Edward on the 1841, 1851 censuses

Steven

Comment

• My earlier reply seems to have vanished. You would not be able to search G.R. as a non-member but some of our members here also belong to that site. A new message asking if someone belonging to GR. would check for you is the best option. My Pettit originated in Southampton and arrived in London via Kent if that helps.

Comment

• Hi BC I had a look and found out I did have a membership but haven't used it for ages

No luck so far matches any Pettit's with the one I know about

Thanks for the help

Steven

Comment

• 1841 Census.

Pettit Edward 40 - Carpenter Yes Pelham Street HO107/0711/5/~F10 CD25 H_711.pdf p.161
                      Pettit Susannah 39 - - Yes Pelham Street HO107/0711/5/~F10 CD25 H_711.pdf
                      Pettit Amelia 12 - - Yes Pelham Street HO107/0711/5/~F10 CD25 H_711.pdf p.161
                      Pettit Edward 1 - - Yes Pelham Street HO107/0711/5/~F10 CD25 H_711.pdf p.161
                      Pettit Thomas 7 - - Yes Pelham Street HO107/0711/5/~F10 CD25 H_711.pdf p.161
                      Pettit William 3 - - Yes Pelham Street HO107/0711/5/~F10 CD25 H_711.pdf p.161

Steven, This is the only 1841 Edward that was a Carpenter that I could find.

What age was Jonathan on his marriage cert ?

There is more ...........
                      Last edited by Inahaystack; 06-03-11, 02:06.

Comment

• ... and this for 1851 Census

Pettit Edward 51 Head Carpenter Barrow, Suffolk 2 New Court HO107/1542/~F394 CD19 H1071542.pdf p.764 Comments
                        Pettit Susannah 48 Wife - Tatham, Essex 2 New Court HO107/1542/~F394 CD19 H1071542.pdf p.764 Comments
                        Pettit
                        Edward 20 Son Printer Spitalfields, Middlesex 2 New Court HO107/1542/~F394 CD19 H1071542.pdf p.764 Comments
                        Pettit Thomas 17 Son Carpenter Mile End, Middlesex 2 New Court HO107/1542/~F394 CD19 H1071542.pdf p.764 Comments
                        Pettit William 13 Son Scholar Mile End, Middlesex 2 New Court HO107/1542/~F394 CD19 H1071542.pdf p.764

Only odd thing on here is Edwards birth town/county - but then, that's nothing unusual is it :D
                        Last edited by Inahaystack; 06-03-11, 01:44.

Comment

• ....and this for 1861 census ..... Edward seems to have acquired a new wife, unless she has had a change of name !

Pettitt Edward 61 Head Carpenter Barrow, Suffolk 1 New Court Street RG9/0262/~F120 CD12 RG9-262.pdf p.240
                          Pettitt Isabella 58 Wife - Sothan, Essex 1 New Court Street RG9/0262/~F120 CD12 RG9-262.pdf p.240
                          Pettitt William 23 Son Carpenter Mile End New Town, Middlesex 1 New Court Street RG9/0262/~F120 CD12 RG9-262.pdf p.240

Comment

• Steven, what qwas the occupation of Sarah Rix's father ?

Comment

• Hi Nina thanks for all that

Jonathan was only listed as full age on his marriage certificate

Sarah Rix's father was a Labourer

Reards

Steven

Comment

• I have a suspicion that Edward's two wives Susannah and Isabella are actually the same person as those two birth places, Tatham and Sotham Essex both look to me like mistranscriptions of Totham which is a village in Essex.
                                Update - on the 1861 image the place name is clearly Totham
                                Last edited by JudithM; 06-03-11, 07:56.
                                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

• Thanks Judith for the information much appreciated

Thanks again Nina for all your help

Steven

Comment

• Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                                    I have a suspicion that Edward's two wives Susannah and Isabella are actually the same person as those two birth places, Tatham and Sotham Essex both look to me like mistranscriptions of Totham which is a village in Essex.
                                    Update - on the 1861 image the place name is clearly Totham
                                    Thanks for that Judith never thought to check .... 'twas a tad late ...

Comment

• Hi Nina and Judith is there anyway of tracing the marriage of Edward Pettit and Susannah - obviously pre 1837? Just an idea kind of nearing the end of the road but always good to try to push it a wee bit

Steven

Comment

• Haven't been able to track down a marriage for Edward and Susanna/Susannah/Ann .... but in searching have found that the Amelia on the 1841 census is actually Emmeline. Checked some more and found her siblings.

1. GEORGE THOMAS PETTIT - parents Edward + Susannah
                                        Male Christening: 27 JUL 1834 Spitalfields Christ Church, Stepney, London

2. EMMELINE PETTIT - parents Edward + Susanna
                                        Female Christening: 16 NOV 1828 Spitalfields Christ Church, Stepney, London

3. ELISABETH PITTIT - parents Edward + Ann
                                        Female Christening: 12 NOV 1826 Spitalfields Christ Church, Stepney, London

4. WILLIAM PETTIT - parents Edward + Susannah
                                        Male Christening: 08 FEB 1838 Spitalfields Christ Church, Stepney, London

5. LAVINIA PETTIT - parents Edward + Ann
                                        Female Christening: 12 NOV 1826 Spitalfields Christ Church, Stepney, London
                                        Female Death: 26 APR 1827

6. EDWARD WILLIAM PETTIT - parents Edward + Susannah
                                        Male Christening: 25 DEC 1831 Spitalfields Christ Church, Stepney, London

It's possible you could rule out Elisabeth and Lavinia as siblings, based on mothers name and the fact that Elisabeth is nowhere to be seen with the family in 1841 - But she could have married.
                                        Last edited by Inahaystack; 06-03-11, 14:51.

Comment

• Thats fantastic Nina - much appreciated

Steven

Comment

Working...
                                          X