No announcement yet.

Family of BENJAMIN VINCENT in 1800s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benjamin Vincent, aged 30, Seaman; sick or hurt, Rheumatism; put on sick list 27 September 1826; discharged 27 September 1826 to hospital.

Benjamin Vincent, born Claydon, Suffolk. Attestation papers to serve in the Royal Marines at Chatham 1810 (when aged 18).
    I wonder if he lied about his age when he enlisted in 1810?
    Birth year c1792 when he enlisted, birth year c1794 in 1826
    Familysearch shows a baptism for a Benjamin Vincent 18th July 1790 Claydon parents Robert/Sarah.
    He was possibly buried 9th Dec 1790 at Claydon no age given.
    Familysearch shows a baptism for a Benjamin Vincient 2nd March 1795 Claydon parents Robert/Sarah.
    This birth year of 1794/5 is a bit out for the 1844 burial. Only the death cert would prove if it is the right person.
    Moggie
    Last edited by maudarby; 01-02-11, 11:14.

Comment

Thanks to all for the help, looks as though we have another trip to the local library to use their free link to Ancestry to get some of the stuff, and we agree, appears as if Benjamin may have died before the 1841 census, and makes it difficult to find the siblings of Edward Benjamin who married Jane Lowman (we have their marriage cert) if Edward does not appear on the 1841 census when aged 12, as we cannot be sure we have the correct family in 1841, any suggestions of how we can find names of his siblings please.

Comment

I have asked the National Archives for a quote to provide me with the Attestaton Papers for Benjamin for his enlistment in 1810, and according to the site for Archives, in some cases they also provide record of service, as it appears he served in Royal Marines for 21 years. I have also put a message to RM Association to ask if they can tell me where I can obtain a full copy of his service record, just have to wait now to see if I get replies, but knocking head on wall till then, thanks for all the info though, it is great to get that, and does help, even if not yet all concrete info, it is more than we could find.

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
          There are 8 baptisms at Chatham for children of Benjamin Vincent & Ellen (Friend) on Ancestry.
          Do you have a sub to view the details?
          Moggie
          Today we went to our local library and accessed the Ancestry.com site there. We found 7 baptisms for children of Benjamin and Ellen Friend Vincent, all at Chatham in Kent, and the 8th showed father as benjamin and mother as Martha, and birth date of 1834, baptism date 1834 in Hever in Kent, which conflicts with the birth of Edward Benjamin that we have as 1829 and age at marriage in 1850 and at 1851 census of 22. We can find no other reference to Benjamin and wife Martha on census in 1841, and now at loss to work out what is what. Any suggestions, as this just makes it confusing.

Comment

Edward Benjamin was christened on 24 May 1829 at Chatham (Parents Benjamin and Ellen Friend) Its transcribed incorrectly on the ancestry website as Edward Benjamin "Vincenct" so would explain why you couldn't find it.

Comment

Originally posted by ren View Post
              Edward Benjamin was christened on 24 May 1829 at Chatham (Parents Benjamin and Ellen Friend) Its transcribed incorrectly on the ancestry website as Edward Benjamin "Vincenct" so would explain why you couldn't find it.
              Thank you Ren, so the Edward Vincent with parents Benjamin and Martha are nothing to do with our family, thank goodness for that, as we could not figure out how his birth year was so far out, and name of mother wrong, thanks so much for finding that for us.

Comment

Hello
                New to Familytreeforum. Found it via google as I am researching a branch of my family that includes the Benjamin Vincent and Edward Vincent referred to in this thread. I wonder if the opening member LittleLila is still on here and if she has discovered anything more about the family? Bit of a long shot as its 3 years since the last post.

Will have a good search round and see if I can find any more about my family.

Vincentpuzzle

Comment

Hi vincentpuzzle and Welcome to Family Tree Forum,

It has been a while since Littlelila has posted here but you can try to make contact with her by clicking on her username and sending her a Personal Message once you have posted three messages on the Forum.
                  If her user address is still active she will get your message but if not then you can post messages on the Forum to request information on your research.
                  Keep checking in after that to see if she has replied but good luck with your research.

Edna

Comment

Hi Edna
                    Thank you. I will make a couple more posts and then will be able to contact Littlelila. It sounds like she has been able to find out a great deal about Benjamin Vincent.

Bel

Comment

Hello to all - realise it has been a while since I made a post on this site, but do come back frequently to look at what has been added to various threads, some of which interest me, and some of which I am just curious to find out if I am able to help, and noticed the post by vincentpuzzle dated January 2015, and sitll waiting to find out if that poster will send me a private message. I should also like to let all those who helped me so much on this site, (and you all know who your are, and the help you gave me both her and in private messages and emails direct to me) in the last 18 months I have now been given records of the marriage of the parents of Benjamin Vincent, my g/g/grandfather, the baptism of his mother, the death and burial record of his father, the baptism of his siblings, and lots of other info about his siblings that I have found by separate research. I am happy to share all that info with any other member of the Vincent family, ancestors of Benjamin and his wife Ellen. I have also found lots more info about the children of Benjamin and Ellen and made contact with many of their descendants, in England, New Zealand, South Africa and here in Australia, surprising what a little bit of persistence will do, it has been frustrating at times, but so rewarding, and it did cost quite a few $ to get all the info I sought. Among the info found is also a complete history of the service of Benjamin in the Royal Marines showing all his postings and the ships on which he served, and even every penny he earned during his service, as his complete payroll sheet was included in the info I found. Best wishes to all, and I now hope to receive a private message from vincentpuzzle, so hope she/he does so soon as I am not getting any younger.

Originally posted by vincentpuzzle View Post
                      Hello
                      New to Familytreeforum. Found it via google as I am researching a branch of my family that includes the Benjamin Vincent and Edward Vincent referred to in this thread. I wonder if the opening member LittleLila is still on here and if she has discovered anything more about the family? Bit of a long shot as its 3 years since the last post.

Will have a good search round and see if I can find any more about my family.

Vincentpuzzle

Comment

Working...
                      X