Calling All Myers From Leeds....Cohen from Canada needs Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wrechtsman View Post
    I would like to thank Tilly Mint for sending me a possible document through Wallaby. Thanks so much for thinking of me and sending it along. It wasn't a match, but ya nevah know.
    Wendi, Jacky.... Naomi has a theory about the document Jacky found. She might not have time to explain until later, she has taken her daughter to school.

W

PS Naomi s in Aus
    We should never forget them,
    Because we would not be here today, but for them.
    We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
    Because we all have them…
    Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

• Hope it similar to what i'm thinking........ohh, i DO hope so....Lol
      Jacky

Comment

• My namesake Wendy P has found some astonishing information for me. There are little angels out there like Wendy P. Thanks ever so much. You hit it dead on. Thanks for the pm. Now I know that Louis Myers headed for Canada without Martha (d) somewhere between 1901 and 1911. So he has to be on a ship's manifest somewhere. He probably left from Liverpool. That's my next quest....to find him onboard a ship. Thanks Angel Wendy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wallaby View Post
          Wendi, Jacky.... Naomi has a theory about the document Jacky found. She might not have time to explain until later, she has taken her daughter to school.

W

PS Naomi s in Aus
          Hi - well - the document refers to a change of name from Osiah to Myer Schrier...this could be connected to Eva's husband in W's post..
          the father of Lewis Myer Seccundy has shown as Ohe.....similiar to Osiah....
          and Lewis became Lewis Myer without the Seccundy bit...that all sounds very confusing...but the locations are in the right area.
          There could somehow be a relationship between the Schrier's, the Freedman's and the Cohen's.
          Jacky, you'll probably read my explanation and laugh!! ;D
          I think finding out more about Eva's husband will give a clue once W receives the death cert for Eva.
          It could be that Eva and her husband knew Harry from their Leeds and Liverpool days.
          Last edited by naomiatt; 25-03-10, 23:31.

Comment

• I'm SO confused, but trying to make sense of it all. I'll await news from the DC of Eva Schrier.

Comment

• Findmypast has 2 records for

Lewis Myers 1910 Liverpool -Quebec
              Louis Myers 1911 Liverpool - Quebec
              Neither record has birth year and I cannot find the same information on ancestry.
              Karen

Comment

• Not sure if you'll find something in the Ontario Jewish Archives - http://www.ontariojewisharchives.org...lholdings.html
                Would be worth looking through when you get a chance.
                Re; any burials - I don't think the info is on line for the Jewish cemeteries in Toronto where your family are buried, but here are two sites worth looking at..
                (I've also posted them to your other topic) - any Hebrew names will help to go back in time ;-

If you have roots in Toronto, this story talks about the area's 11 Jewish cemeteries . Today, the community is about 200,000 strong. There ...
                Last edited by naomiatt; 26-03-10, 04:22.

Comment

• In relation to the 2 passenger records that Karen found the first young man who travelled in 1910 was described as a labourer and single. The second one went with his dad Pierre unamed mum and his siblings.
                  WendyP

Comment

• I just thought of something Wendi - in an earlier post you described Louis as - Lewis (Louis Lewis Myers b. 1871, Died January 12, 1933 - could he have gone to Canada as Louis Lewis or as Louis or Lewis Myer or Meyer/Mayer....? - and, another thought, did he get in to Canada via the US???

Comment

• Thanks Karen S. When I have a few minutes, I'm going to check to see if Lewis/Louis came through the US. That's a possibility. We know he died in Canada, so he must have come over at some point.

Comment

• Thanks for the prezzies. The info. above is a goldmine of information, except for "tracing the tribe blogspot" which is no longer in service (at least from my end). Some of these cemetaries are right around the corner from us and have been there far too often, sadly. The Ontario Jewish Archives will be a destination once I have a few hours of spare time. I've done their cemetary walks and they're terrific!

Comment

• Thanks Wendi P. Neither sound like the ones I'm looking for. Our Lewis/Louis Myers Myer? Seccundy was married at that time and was neither a labourer or had a dad named Pierre. thx...tho.

Comment

• Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
                            Hi - well - the document refers to a change of name from Osiah to Myer Schrier...this could be connected to Eva's husband in W's post..
                            the father of Lewis Myer Seccundy has shown as Ohe.....similiar to Osiah....
                            and Lewis became Lewis Myer without the Seccundy bit...that all sounds very confusing...but the locations are in the right area.
                            There could somehow be a relationship between the Schrier's, the Freedman's and the Cohen's.
                            Jacky, you'll probably read my explanation and laugh!! ;D
                            I think finding out more about Eva's husband will give a clue once W receives the death cert for Eva.
                            It could be that Eva and her husband knew Harry from their Leeds and Liverpool days.
                            OMG...i was thinking along the same lines, Naomi !!

Is it a case of great minds think alike...or.....................just a pair of nutters...Lol

We will have to get some more info from the cert.
                            Jacky

Comment

• Just been thinking....OHE....cOHEn, i had a look around and it said this can be taken from Cohen.
                              Jacky

Comment

• Well that is one brilliant piece of thinking, Tilly Mint. Sets my mind a-spinning. Could it be possible that he took the last name of Cohen from OHE?
                                Further investigation needed here. My "to do" list is getting longer and longer. Brilliant!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                                  OMG...i was thinking along the same lines, Naomi !!

Is it a case of great minds think alike...or.....................just a pair of nutters...Lol

We will have to get some more info from the cert.
                                  Just a pair of nutters!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                                    Just been thinking....OHE....cOHEn, i had a look around and it said this can be taken from Cohen.
                                    Ooo...not seen that before...but I don't think I've seen Cohen as a first name..so was he ???? Cohen Seccundy.....burial info will show if that line were Cohanim...it's Passover/Pesach soon..so the cemetries will be closed for the 'holidays'...

Other options for Ohe could also be Ohel, Oholiav, Oholi and Aholiab -
                                    Wendi - do you have any of these names in that family line?
                                    Arthur / Charles / Harry / Hyman / Isidore / Jehiel / Joseph / Julius / / Michael / Milton / Morris
                                    Last edited by naomiatt; 26-03-10, 20:26.

Comment

• My father who died when I was a year old was Max. We named our first son after him M. We were also told we were Cohanim. I always thought it was the family's wishful thinking with no credible evidence. Interesting though, because I am a Katz on my mother's side (which I'm told could be Cohanim as well). There is another M (female, still alive) on the Cohen side, named after my great-grandmother. Any thoughts about that?

Comment

• I'll sit and wait for the postman after April 1 for that Certificate. I wonder if there were any official name changes that were done. Where would I look for that? OHE, COHEN, SEKUNDA, SECCUNDY (Myers). Would one have to get it changed officially at that time or just wave a magic wand over oneself and say poooooof three times and then you're someone else.

Comment

• Just a pair of THINKERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X