Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Social networking for genealogy. Advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tinkerbe View Post
    i have add you both as contact even though i do not really get fickr yet

does seem a really good idea for old phots

why are you photo copywritered and how is that done
    Hi there,

The copyright symbol next to the photos automatically appears when you upload them. Part of the T&Cs of the site are that the photos are yours and not lifted from somewhere/somebody else.

Comment

it is does not appear on other friends photos
      so i was just wondering
      wye surrey/london/birmingham
      lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
      hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
      ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
      herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
      armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Flickr is all about sharing images but it does act as a way of displaying photographs that have copyright or displaying photographs that others can use under what is known as a "creative commons" licence.

A more detailed explanation of creative commons can be found on the following Flickr page

Flickr: Creative Commons

An option available is to block anyone else from downloading images from your own photostream too, you can never completely stop someone copying an image but Flickr are good at acting on reports of misuse if they ever arise.

I suppose you could argue the photo sharing aspect could also be done via Photobucket or similiar but images on Flickr load quickly and can be high quality high res images that photobucket probably can't match.

The free Flickr account i have lets me upload 100MB of images each month, you can join or create groups, add comments, tags and "fave" images from any Flickr member and heaps more. As an example i have added a couple of tags to photos belonging to my new contact already so they will match more searches within flickr itself.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I never realised that there were options for copyright. That's just the way things happened. Flickr must be set to that as default. I'll go and have a look later at the download block which would be handy. I don't want folks copying my family for no good reason. If anybody turns out to be an actual family member and wants a copy of them, then I'd be happier emailing them direct.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbe View Post
            it is does not appear on other friends photos
            so i was just wondering
            It may be the settings being used when uploading but as an example of one image in my photostream

the copyright status appears as shown in the red box to the right hand side

when the "all sizes" option is clicked above the image a larger image can be viewed, the copyright status then displays below

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
              I never realised that there were options for copyright. That's just the way things happened. Flickr must be set to that as default. I'll go and have a look later at the download block which would be handy. I don't want folks copying my family for no good reason. If anybody turns out to be an actual family member and wants a copy of them, then I'd be happier emailing them direct.
              Use the organize menu

Organize>Batch Organize

For example i have added a couple of tags to one of your pictures but you have several options available

eg
              Nobody can add tags
              Just Friends can add tags
              Just Family can add tags
              Contacts can add tags
              Anyone can add tags

It wil take a few days to find all the options available but for the first few days it's unlikely your photostream will be swamped with thousands of views.

And of course you can delete any or all of your images from the site at any time.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
              X