Is it possible to find Wifes name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kelly View Post

I have found where he is buried, but unfortunately, there is no headstone.

Kelly.
    Would the cemetery have any records....maybe who paid/applied for the burial to take place?

Hopefully it was his wife

Good luck with your search

Tralena

Comment

Originally posted by Tralena View Post
      Would the cemetery have any records....maybe who paid/applied for the burial to take place?

Hopefully it was his wife

Good luck with your search

Tralena
      Hi Tralena,

When I contacted the cemetery, I asked them if it is possible to find out who arranged the funeral. They told me they would have to do an extensive manual search of the records, and there is no guarantee there would be any info.

Kelly.

Comment

I wonder why the cemetery staff said it would have to be an extensive manual search...specially as you have his full name, date of birth and date of death. I would have thought it would be quite straight forward (or am I being naive)

This might be a long shot...but are there any funeral parlour's local to were he was buried, they may be a little more helpful.

Tralena

Comment

Hi,

Did William have a middle name? It looks like his death was registered as just William but wonder if you have found a mention of another name or initial.

Ice

Comment

Originally posted by Tralena View Post
            I wonder why the cemetery staff said it would have to be an extensive manual search...specially as you have his full name, date of birth and date of death. I would have thought it would be quite straight forward (or am I being naive)

This might be a long shot...but are there any funeral parlour's local to were he was buried, they may be a little more helpful.

Tralena

Hi Tralena,

I'm not sure how the records are held at the cemetery, so I wouldn't know what they would have to do to find the info.

I will have a google to see if there were/are any local funeral directors that are local to where he was buried.

Kelly.

Comment

Originally posted by Icenianchild View Post
              Hi,

Did William have a middle name? It looks like his death was registered as just William but wonder if you have found a mention of another name or initial.

Ice
              Hi Ice,

I haven't found any records that says he has a middle name. On the census records he is just William Hallam.

Kelly.

Comment

Hi Kelly,

What year was William born?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                  Hi Kelly,

What year was William born?
                  Hi Tom Tom,

William was born 1899.

Comment

So, he is likely to have married between 1917 and 1930 (of course it could be later).

As the spouse's surname is in the indexes, you will be able to make a list of possible wives. Did he die in the same area that he was born and raised? If he did then he is likely to have married in that area as well.

You would then be able to search the death indexes for deaths in that area, for all the possibles that you have found and look for any that would have been born around 1900. Not an easy job, but

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Hi Tom,

I have looked through the marriage indexes on FreeBmd (I know they are not complete) and there is a possible 36 marriages. There may be more if I look on ancestry! The trouble is that the wives names are all common names like margaret etc.

William was born in Nottingham and died in Derby, so he could have married in any of those areas.

Kelly.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                        Did William have any children that your great-aunt can remember?
                        Is there anything else your G/Aunt can remember of William and his family.....

The type of work he did? Did she get to met Williams wife? Can she describe what she looked like (it might help jog your G/Aunts memory for the wife's name).

Tralena

Comment

alternatively, you can find all possible marriages, for william hallam, and then get the wives names. then you can go to your aunt, rattle off the list of names, and see if she recognizes them!!

Comment

Hi,

Unfortunately, my Great Aunt can't remember anything else about William. The only thing that she remembered about his wife was that she thinks she died in a house fire.

I will try with a list of names to see if any of the names ring a bell.

Kelly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                              Hi,

Unfortunately, my Great Aunt can't remember anything else about William. The only thing that she remembered about his wife was that she thinks she died in a house fire.

I will try with a list of names to see if any of the names ring a bell.

Kelly.
                              Could that be the clue?

You know the area they lived, hopefully she didn't move too far when William died.

Trawl newspapers for time after William died for a house fire in which a woman named Hallam was killed?

Long slog I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
                                Could that be the clue?

You know the area they lived, hopefully she didn't move too far when William died.

Trawl newspapers for time after William died for a house fire in which a woman named Hallam was killed?

Long slog I know.
                                Hi Margaret,

I think that may be the way to go. I would probably havt to check Nottingham and Derby newspapers. She may have moved back to Nottingham, after William died.

Kelly.

Comment

Don't suppose the Times archive would have anything? Don't know what year it goes to.
                                  Sometimes things do make the nationals.

I don't have access I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
                                    Don't suppose the Times archive would have anything? Don't know what year it goes to.
                                    Sometimes things do make the nationals.

I don't have access I'm afraid.
                                    Hi Margaret,

I will have a look on the Times Archive, to see if I can find anything.

Kelly.

Comment

This is from the National Probate Calendar:

1943 HALLAM William of 79 City-road Derby died 27 August 1942 at Rolls-Royce Limited works Derby. Administration Llandudno 6 January to Lucy Ann Hallam widow. Effects £10.
                                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                        This is from the National Probate Calendar:

1943 HALLAM William of 79 City-road Derby died 27 August 1942 at Rolls-Royce Limited works Derby. Administration Llandudno 6 January to Lucy Ann Hallam widow. Effects £10.
                                        Hi Kiterunner,

Thank you soooooooo much, it really is truly appreciated!!!!!

Would you know how I could get a copy of the will? I have never requested one before.

Thank you once again for all of your help, it is truly appreciated.

Kind regards

Kelly.

Comment

Sorry, Kelly, there is no will. As it says "Administration". Normally it will say "probate" if there was a will, or occasionally "Administration (with will)". You could apply for a copy of the letter of administration but it might not tell you much and will cost £5. Sometimes they are worth it, though.

This site tells you how to order it, and the form PA1S is available from the site:
                                          Publications - Guidance - Probate - Guide to obtaining copies of probate records
                                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                                          X