Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I missing ..

... I am having a brain freeze moment!

Ernest Havill b. 1904 Hackney MMN Ayliffe (on GRO).

I can't find an Ayliffe / Havill marriage (have also tried Ayliffe / Havell).

On the 1911 he is down as wife's son but I can't find anything else.

Do I need to buy his BC or can one of you lovely lot tell me I'm being an idiot and give me the missing piece I think I'm obviously looking over?

TIA

Tessie

The other son (and daughter) on the 1911 census:

MATTHEWS, LESLIE ALBERT mmn AYCLIFFE GRO Reference: 1907 D Quarter in DUNMOW Volume 04A Page 847
    MATTHEWS, HELEN MARY mmn AYLIFFE GRO Reference: 1909 S Quarter in DUNMOW Volume 04A Page 848​

​Lydia Helen AYLIFFE married Albert MATTHEWS in 1905 in the Dunmow RD, so on the surface it seems that the birth certificate for Ernest includes false information (ie that Lydia Helen was married to the father) but Id say you need the birth certificate to be sure.

Last edited by teasie; 23-02-24, 20:33. Reason: added info

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
      The other son (and daughter) on the 1911 census:

MATTHEWS, LESLIE ALBERT mmn AYCLIFFE GRO Reference: 1907 D Quarter in DUNMOW Volume 04A Page 847
      MATTHEWS, HELEN MARY mmn AYLIFFE GRO Reference: 1909 S Quarter in DUNMOW Volume 04A Page 848​

​Lydia Helen AYLIFFE married Albert MATTHEWS in 1905 in the Dunmow RD, so on the surface it seems that the birth certificate for Ernest includes false information (ie that Lydia Helen was married to the father) but Id say you need the birth certificate to be sure.

Thanks Teasie, so where do you think the Havill surname comes from?

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post

Thanks Teasie, so where do you think the Havill surname comes from?
        Presumably Lydia Helen claimed to be married to someone named Havill when she registered Ernest's birth and then named her alleged husband as his father, but until you see the birth certificate its impossible to say with absolute certainty.

Children weren't registered with their own surname until 1969 I think it was, and the father of an illegitimate child could only be named if he was present at the registration. Where this happens the GRO index it under the father's surname but with no mmn, and FreeBMD index it under both surnames. Neither has happened here so the scenario I describe above seems most likely, but you really need to see the birth certificate.
        Last edited by teasie; 24-02-24, 01:21.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
          Presumably Lydia Helen claimed to be married to someone named Havill when she registered Ernest's birth and then named her alleged husband as his father, but until you see the birth certificate its impossible to say with absolute certainty.
          A possibility - but there are other scenarios too. When working from indexes and without seeing a certificate you are always making assumptions (guessing)
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
          X