Australian help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian help please

Hi all im trying to find any information for a Douglas Wood born 16th March 1943 in Carluke, Lanarkshire, Scotland once he landed after immigrating to Australia.
    I know he travelled with his father Thomas Wood and Mother Robina Wood and siblings to Australia aboard MV CHESHIRE arriving in Aug 1950. They settled in Victoria. His mother and father are buried at Springvale Botanical Cemetry. I can not find any info on Douglas ie marriage, death etc any help much appreciated
    Last edited by snowywhite; 08-02-24, 10:06.

I do know that Vital Statistics in Australia are like Canada .................. there is no central registry as there is for England and Wales. All records are kept by State in Australia and Province in Canada. Therefore you need to know in which State Douglas actually lived.

If you can maybe find an obituary for his parents, it might give information on Douglas and any other family, such as wife or children.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Hi Sylvia
      both parents are buried at
      Springvale Botanical Cemetery
      Greater Dandenong City
      Victoria ,Australia
      Unfortunately my searches for any info on Douglas have come up blank so far

Comment

But have you searched in other States, one by one?
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

With that birth date he could most likely still be alive, unless you know for sure that he has died. Searching for living people in Australia is near impossible in my limited experience. Have you tried things like social media and newspapers?
          Anne

Comment

I have done New South Wales without any luck. Trouble is, ina lot of states you have to join to get any real info out. As Anne says he could very well still be alive at just about 80yo.
            Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Privacy laws are very restrictive in Australia, births are sealed for 100 yrs, marriages for 70-80, and deaths for 30.

You're only real bet is to see if he appears in electoral rolls, but even then they only go up to the 80's on ancestry. You could try looking at the vic bmd website and seing if the parents death certs are in the index....if they are, you can buy them and it will tell you all their children's names and ages. If a child was an informant, you'll get their address at the time which may help with electoral rolls.

Comment

Working...
              X