Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purcell family 1861 census

Good evening,

I'm helping a friend with their family tree but we can't find James Purcell (apparently born around 1802 Whitehaven, Cumberland - no baptism found yet) on the 1861 census. By 1871 he is with one of his son's John (born 1834 Whitehaven) in Surrey and is widowed. I also can't find a death for his wife Jane between 1851-1871. I'm sure it's to do with the spelling of the surname but they are evading me!

If anyone could take a second glance sometime I'd be ever so grateful

Thanks

Tessie

FWIW, they were living in Leeds in 1851 ...........

1851 Census

James Purcell 43, b.ca 1808 Whitehaven
    Jane Purcell 43, b.ca 1801 Whitehaven
    Margaret Purcell 17, b ca 1834, Whitehaven
    John Purcell 15, b.ca 1836, Whitehaven
    James Purcell 13, b.ca 1838, Newcastle, Northumberland
    George Purcell 8, b.c a 1843, Leeds, Yorkshire
    Henry Purcell 5, b.ca 1846, Leeds

My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

have you found all of the children in 1861? and where are they?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

There is a burial for Jane Purcell 26 Mar 1865 at St Peters Croydon Surrey, born 1806. This is on FMP but only the transcription.

Can't find them on 1861 though.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Possible 1841?

In the 1841 census Jane (age 30) was in St John, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, England.

James Purcell M 30
          Susanna Purcell F 12
          John Purcell M 5
          James Purcell M 2
          citing The National Archives of the UK Class: HO107; Piece/Folio: 824/17; Page: 29; Line: 10
          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

i looked and couldn't find them in 1861, did try a couple of the children also.

If the croydon record is correct could be in Croydon in 1861, will have a closer look around there.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I cannot see them either.

As they were in Leeds when the youngest was born and there for 1851 census and IF Jane was buried in Croydon in 1865 then it's possible they were either in Leeds still or had moved over to Croydon for the 1861 census. (or anywhere!!!!)

Censuses Missing (M) or Incomplete (I) for England 1861 Census.
              3388 West Yorkshire Leeds - West Leeds (3 parishes) + Leeds NW Ward - M

From the 1851 census, they were in LEEDS WEST
              Yorkshire - Leeds - West Leeds - 02dd​

Last edited by Katarzyna; 04-02-24, 20:06. Reason: added info
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks all! I will try following the children but looks likely they are on the missing part of the 1861 census. Looks like that is probably my Jane Purcell in 1865 as by 1871 they were in Croydon.

Comment

Working...
                X