Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grave - where do i go next?

hi,
    I'm after picking people's brains for ideas. (i shall explain).

Up until a few months ago we had believed that my Great Grandfather had gone back to Bradford and died there (had a death record that matched name and a sons name etc). I then came across a record for a gentle under the name of Arthur Wood (Great grandfather) who died in Peterborough (where he lived and i'm from). I bought the record and this is my great grandfathers - it listed his address and it was the one my father was born at. so i definitely have the right man this time.

I remember my Dad saying he had visited Arthur's grave quite alot (i thought he had been to Bradford from above info). After looking into things from new info/record the nearest cemetery to the home address was looking like the best option for his location it was about 2miles away and about the same from the family church. However, it has since come to light that this cemetery wasn't used for 7years prior to his death (not sure how as i know others who have been buried in it after this date). There is apparently no record of him at the next local cemetery (9miles away) nor any cremation records (the family were all buried until my dads mum in 1979). I've spoken to the church that held his funeral service (found via newspaper article) and they said that they wold have gone to one of the 2 cemeteries ive said about for internment.

So where do i go next? there was no graveyard attached to the church. There are others in Peterborough but are miles away from the family home area and family church. i am totally puzzled by it and have no idea where to look.

thanks
    Amy
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

He could still be buried there if he had space in another grave perhaps his parents.

Also have you tried deceased on line, you can look without a sub and get a little info. There is also find a grave website if the cemetery has been transcribed.

The only other thing is if you are willing to put his name on the tread and someone can look to see if there is anything else for you.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

hi,
      thanks for reply Lin.

do you mean with his parents in Bradford? Arthur's parents never moved from Bradford to peterborough, he, his wife and children did. I've posted on find a grave as a memorial with graveyard unknown, i did have as the main one in peterborough but this has been proved not there.

Info on him Arthur Wood born 14 sept 1885 Bradford (to charles wood, sarah simons), died 9 oct 1951 memorial hospital peterborough, funeral 12 oct st mary's church. wife Mary Elizabeth micthell, she died mar 1972 peterborough.

Comment

Thanks, On deceased on line there is an Arthur Wood cremated on 12 Oct Cambridgeshire. Had to look Peterborough up and seems to be in Cambridgeshire. It's £2.20 to look at the records. The dates fit great but you never know. Probably no headstone though.
        Lin

Comment

You could try phoning the local crematoriums yummy-mummy-amy maybe they have a record/book of remembrance? some Crematoriums now have a FH service, but they do charge for this service. It might be better to ask if they can give you the details of Arthurs 'plot' as you have forgotten it, that could be a way around it though not absolute proof that it's 'your' Arthur. Do you think that there might be some obits in a local paper? that may well shed light on if he was cremated or interred?
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Do you think also that his wife might have been cremated too and put with Arthur??
            Julie

Comment

I've had a look in Peterboroughs book of remembrance online and there is an Arthur Wood mentioned but no dates, I have had a look at 12th Oct and no mention of Arthur.

BUT Mary Elizabeth DOES make an appearance in the BOR.

Julie

Comment

Would Arthur be remembered on 9th October perhaps.....? That was the day he died.

A crematorium where family and friends have had services does not have individual clearly defined plots for ashes, but the staff are really helpful and looked up exact details and location for the remains of my daughter's friend, so that we could place flowers where her ashes were scattered.
                May be Peterborough staff could help?
                Last edited by Gwyn in Kent; 29-01-24, 08:31.

Comment

Just had another look and that Crematorium wasn't opened until 1958. Must be another one somewhere.
                  Lin

Comment

With any burials i can't find in the last 100yrs, i email the local council to where someone died and ask if they can check the burial registers + cremations. Most are really good and will look at both, others will only look at one if you don't mention both.

I've found several ancestors this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                      Thanks, On deceased on line there is an Arthur Wood cremated on 12 Oct Cambridgeshire. Had to look Peterborough up and seems to be in Cambridgeshire. It's £2.20 to look at the records. The dates fit great but you never know. Probably no headstone though.
                      thank you everyone for help and replies on this.

The local council wernt very helpful and said to message the church which did the service or the crem :( I am even more confused now, i have just spoken to peterborough crematorium and they said no records under either of their names for burials or cremations in Peterborough.

BUT the one that Lin has found on deceased online IS my great Grandfather (the address listed is where my father was born). and the book of remembrance that Darksecretz found for Mary matches as well. (also i wasnt aware of this website so thank you for that as well). Another puzzle solved

Comment

Great, glad you have managed to solve the problem and also found some new web sites.
                        Lin

Comment

yummy-mummy-amy do you know/did you ask the crematorium where cremations were done before they opened in 1958? the prior one might still be going and have a record of Arthur. x

Maybe he was cremated @ Cambridge crematorium?? that would have been open? [1938]
                          Last edited by Darksecretz; 31-01-24, 08:17.
                          Julie

Comment

Originally posted by yummy-mummy-amy View Post

thank you everyone for help and replies on this.

The local council wernt very helpful and said to message the church which did the service or the crem :( I am even more confused now, i have just spoken to peterborough crematorium and they said no records under either of their names for burials or cremations in Peterborough.

BUT the one that Lin has found on deceased online IS my great Grandfather (the address listed is where my father was born). and the book of remembrance that Darksecretz found for Mary matches as well. (also i wasnt aware of this website so thank you for that as well). Another puzzle solved

does it state where he was cremated?
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

hi,
                              Arthur was cremated and his ashes scattered in Cambridge crem. This was the nearest to Peterborough before there's was built. Peterborough said would be Cambridge or Lincolnshire and to ring them. Cambridge found him for me.

Comment

Great news. Good to get a result.
                                Lin

Comment

Working...
                                X