Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for a possible convict

Hi all

I am interested in a Matthew MULLEN who was found guilty in Glasgow 20 Apr 1875 and sentenced to: Penal Servitude - 7 Years. In my limited experience this typically means transportation, though by 1875 numbers were diminishing I think.

However, FMP has under its Scotland, Court & Criminal Database several records for this chap born 1855: I would very much like to know the outcome of the trial - was he actually transported? If so, to where and when? If not, what happened.

Thanks for any help

Transportation to Australia as a sentence ceased in 1857, and was diminishing by then anyway. I think it officially ceased in 1868.

I am unaware of other parts of the empire he could have been sent so it looks like you may have look closer to home.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks grumpy.

That's what I was thinking.

Anyway I'm hoping SKS will look at the records I mentioned to provide a definitive answer

Comment

Penal servitude did not refer to transportation. It was introduced in 1853 as a substitute for transportation and included various forms of hard labour etc. So your Mr Mullen would have served his time in or around Glasgow.
        If you search Findmypast Newspapers there are 3 papers that give further details of the offence (Burglary dwelling today)
        Any problems finding them send me a P.M. with email & I will send them tomorrow.

Matt
        My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Thanks Matt

In those days did thsoe sentenced have to serve the full term or was there remission?

Comment

The FMP records you mention are transcripts and repeat the same facts, from the trial papers relating to Neil McRae, John Campbell and Matthew Mullen, age 20, of 28 Great Dovehill , Glasgow, occupation : moulder, theft by housebreaking & previous conviction, found guilty, sentenced to 7 years.

Comment

While awaiting trial and after being found Guilty Matthew was held at Perth Prison.
              On the 31st Jan 1876 he was removed from there and taken to Chatham prison, Kent. He remained there until being released on licence 18 months prior to the end of his 7 year sentence.
              The 3 records from FMP I mentioned above are Newspaper articles, not transcripts.
              I have got a double page record re his stay in Perth from ScotlandsPeople. In some other records on FMP there is a photo of him, along with the fact he had one visitor, his brother while at Chatham (4 visits only). Also details of letters sent to his aunt's Mrs O'Brian and Cath
              Sheen.
              Rgds Matt.

Comment

You can order the trial papers from the National Records of Scotland or from Scottish Indexes

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Muir View Post
                  If you search Findmypast Newspapers there are 3 papers that give further details of the offence (Burglary dwelling today)
                  Any problems finding them send me a P.M. with email & I will send them tomorrow.

Matt
                  Many thanks - I have PM'd you

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                    Thanks teasie - I had found those, but somewhat expensive for a 'twig' cousin to follow up on!

Comment

Bertie, Email on its way to you, enjoy.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Muir View Post
                        Bertie, Email on its way to you, enjoy.

Matt
                        Thanks for your help - it is much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                        X