Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surname help!

Hi all,

I have some people on a tree with some odd name combo's and I just can't work it out!

Justus (no idea where this name is from) Corderoy born around 1831 in Blewbury, Berkshire (haven't found a baptism yet). Married Hannah Rumsey in 1851 presumably in Blewbury (record is Wantage district) BUT his name is down as Strong.

Now the children in order that I have are: Joseph, William, Thomas, John (all fairly normal name so far), then there is Justus, Julius, Lelius (spelt several different ways on different records) and Edgar!

For the birth records I have got they are registered as 'first name' Corderoy Strong - but I've no idea where the Strong comes from?

As far as I can tell from the records Ancestry has hinted at is that his father is Joseph Corderoy (Blewbury) and his mother Mary Doe (Blewbury).

Do you think the Strong maybe his MMN and at the time of his parent's marriage it wasn't noted so someone filled it in as Doe (as a place holder name) at some point?

Thanks for taking a look.

Tessie

Do you have a copy of Hannah Rumsey's marriage certificate?
    Who is recorded there as father of Justus?

That would be my starting point.

Comment

A Justus Strong was ch.20 nov 1831 at Harwell, Berkshire to Maryanne Strong, "a single labouring woman." Noted he was born at Blewbury, so it's definitely your man.

Most people with the name "Justus" are his Corderoy descendants.

Though there is a Justus Graham d.1757 New Windsor with a PCC will. Wonder if he's an ancestor?

Also a couple of Thatcher's with given name Justus b.1860's Berks.

Comment

There is a marriage for Joseph Corderoy to Mary Doe in Blewbury on 21 June 1812. Do you think this record has just been picked up as having similar names with out checking or are they his grandparents but I'm not sure how.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

1851 Census Blewbury Mill

Joseph Corderoy aged 60 head unmarried, a miller born Blewbury
          Justus Corderoy aged 19 son blank, a miller born Blewbury
          Martha Strong aged 73 servant, a housekeeper unmarried born Stanford Berks

There has got to be some connection between the Corderoys and the Strongs.

In 1861 he is living next to Justus and Hannah.

Another bit to think about. Martha Corderoy Strong buried 24 Jun 1852 St Michaels Blewbury. Is this the one on 1851 Census. Sorry forget that one as she was aged 0 when she died. Left it as you know it can be ignored.
          Last edited by Lin Fisher; 03-01-24, 15:09.
          Lin

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            A Justus Strong was ch.20 nov 1831 at Harwell, Berkshire to Maryanne Strong, "a single labouring woman." Noted he was born at Blewbury, so it's definitely your man.

Most people with the name "Justus" are his Corderoy descendants.

Though there is a Justus Graham d.1757 New Windsor with a PCC will. Wonder if he's an ancestor?

Also a couple of Thatcher's with given name Justus b.1860's Berks.
            Thanks Kyle, I'll go and see if I can find what happens to Maryanne!

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
              There is a marriage for Joseph Corderoy to Mary Doe in Blewbury on 21 June 1812. Do you think this record has just been picked up as having similar names with out checking or are they his grandparents but I'm not sure how.
              This is the hint Ancestry is giving me BUT Kyle has found a baptism so this can't be correct unless like you say they turn out to be a set of grandparents!
              Last edited by tessie31082; 03-01-24, 16:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                1851 Census Blewbury Mill

Joseph Corderoy aged 60 head unmarried, a miller born Blewbury
                Justus Corderoy aged 19 son blank, a miller born Blewbury
                Martha Strong aged 73 servant, a housekeeper unmarried born Stanford Berks

There has got to be some connection between the Corderoys and the Strongs.

In 1861 he is living next to Justus and Hannah.

Another bit to think about. Martha Corderoy Strong buried 24 Jun 1852 St Michaels Blewbury. Is this the one on 1851 Census. Sorry forget that one as she was aged 0 when she died. Left it as you know it can be ignored.
                Ooh I didn't notcie that Martha Strong there - I'll go follow her up if I can, thank you!

Comment

I have found a probate calendar record. On that it shows that Justus Stong a mealman (dealer in grain) was the sole executor of Joseph Corderoy's will.

I guess this means Maryanne Strong and Joseph Corderoy either never married (can't see a marriage yet) or Justus never officially took Joseph's surname (being born to a then unmarried woman).

By any chance, does anyone know where the unusual names here come from? Justus, Julius, Leilius - I thought maybe Latin but I can't find anything definite online?

Thanks

Comment

Found a baptism for a Mary Ann Strong in 1807 in Harwell (village next to Blewbury) and mother is Martha!!

Comment

Mary Ann Strong baptised 7 Oct 1807 Harwell Berkshire d/o Martha Strong, looks like the Martha on 1851 could be Justus' Grandmother.

No idea about the name though.
                      Lin

Comment

Snap
                        Lin

Comment

I would say the marriage for Joseph Corderoy is correct. It may be the reason he never married Mary Anne Strong?

Comment

Kyle, I agree with you. I haven't looked to see if Mary Doe had died but as you say probably not. As Justus worked at the Mill with his father his manes was changed to Corderoy but he was obviously aware his was born as Strong. Let us know how you get on with it all Tessie.

Haven't looked to see what Happened to Mary Ann Strong though. Going out soon but could be worth looking at.
                            Lin

Comment

Julius is from Latin, but isn't an unusual name.

Lelius is probably from Latin.

Justus is definitely from Latin:
                              Learn about the baby name Justus including baby name meaning, gender, origin, and more.

Comment

It's possible that this record has been picked up due to similar names without thorough checking. However, it's also online plinko challenge worth considering the possibility that Joseph Corderoy and Mary Doe could be ancestors of the individuals you're researching, although the connection may not be immediately apparent. Further investigation into their family history could provide clarity on their relationship to your ancestors.
                                Last edited by feilwitz; 06-03-24, 16:02.

Comment

Working...
                                X