Canada marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada marriage

Can anybody help me confirm the father's name and occupation on a Canadian Marriage record.
    I do not have worldwide access, only essential access on Ancestry and wanted to check that the transcription of a record is correct. Ontario, Canada, Marriages, 1801-1928, 1933-1934
    Ontario marriages 1801-1928
    24 Dec 1914, in Kent Ontario, Alfred Ernest Franklin married Gertrude Mary Hunt.
    The transcript states his father was John Franklin.

Many sites have this being my Great Great Uncle (using the name Ernest Albert Franklin) and cite his parents being Arthur and Dorcas, but I need to confirm the details on the actual record, as My Gt Uncle was born 22 JUL 1890 • Holloway London, Middlesex, England, the son of Arthur Charles Franklin and Dorcas Herbert. He disappeared from the UK after the 1901 census (Plaistow, West Ham London) and I think that others have linked the wrong person as my Gt Uncle.
    I have not found where he went, but the sites citing him are saying he travelled to Canada 1901.
    The marriage transcript makes it look like they have linked the wrong person and I am trying to clear it up.

Many thanks

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Alfred's occupation was a mechanic, age 23 and he gives his place of birth as Ireland and religion as Baptist. He names parents as John and Mary, there is just the space for the names and no field for father's occupation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
      Alfred's occupation was a mechanic, age 23 and he gives his place of birth as Ireland and religion as Baptist. He names parents as John and Mary, there is just the space for the names and no field for father's occupation.
      Many thanks Jill,

That proves that they have all got it wrong, which was my opinion.
      I wonder what happened to my Alfred Ernest, as he disappeared after being at his parents at 17 Liddington Road, West Ham, Essex, England on the 1901 census.
      The problem is that thare are so many Alfred/Albert AE etc in the London area at that time

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I think he did go to Canada.

There is a Canadian service record for Ernest Alfred Franklin, No 189633 which says he was born in London, England on 23 July 1889 (1 year & 1 day out), and gives his father's name as Charles. ADDED: I see that his father is in the UK census as Charles.

His wife is named as Gertrude May, so presumably the same man as above.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/list.aspx?SurnameSearch=franklin&RegimentNum=18963 3&
        Last edited by teasie; 01-01-24, 20:54.

Comment

Many thanks for the information teasie
          Originally posted by teasie View Post
          I think he did go to Canada.

There is a Canadian service record for Ernest Alfred Franklin, No 189633 which says he was born in London, England on 23 July 1889 (1 year & 1 day out), and gives his father's name as Charles. ADDED: I see that his father is in the UK census as Charles.

His wife is named as Gertrude May, so presumably the same man as above.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/list.aspx?SurnameSearch=franklin&RegimentNum=18963 3&

This showing all the confusing areas that made me originally discount the information, he gives the wrong Date of birth when he enlists, and does not even give his parents address
          I agree that his father Arthur Charles, tended to use Charles in most of the census', but Arthur Charles in other documentation/records.
          If we go by the marriage record transcription that Jill supplied, He gives completely the wrong information of where he was born and his parents names and he also states he is a mechanic, but on his enlistment he states he is a labourer in a rubber factory.
          I have not found any concrete details of his emigration from England (trees state it was c1911).
          With so many trees taking information with no actual citations and even the site of Gathering our Heros only stating the details that are in his enlistment papers (father Charles and born London England), do we 100% have the right person, or is it a matter of some trees seeing others having an Alfred Ernest, born 1890 with parent Arthur Charles and Dorcas Franklin and just assuming the connection?
          80% seems correct, so I think I will connect this and my Ernest, though it now needs to find the emigration details/documents confirmed.

If anyone comes across this thread in the future and they are directly connected to Alfred Ernest, I have images of his parents if you PM me.
          And the avatar image on my profile is Alfred Ernest's elder brother Arthur Charles, who died in WW1
          Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 02-01-24, 21:58.

Researching:

Comment

he gives the wrong Date of birth when he enlists
            I have a side branch who went to Canada. He lied about his age to enter WWI.

Just suggesting to keep an open mind.

Comment

My Grandmother's brother emigrated to Canada in 1903 and also gave a DoB that was 'out' by a year and a day. No idea why!

I think Ernest may be the E Franklin who sailed on the ship Montrose from Liverpool on 23 Apr 1910, aged 20 - although by the time the ship arrived in Canada he's recorded as Ernest Franklin aged 19!! He was an assisted immigrant and was headed to Ontario to be a farm labourer.

In 1911 he may be in the census as Earnest Franklin aged 20, a labourer boarding in Brussels, Huron, Ontario and said to be born England July 1890 & arrived Canada 1910,

Brussels seems to be about 110 miles from Wallaceburg where he married Gertrude in 1914.

Comment

Working...
              X