Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should I show this complicated line on a tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should I show this complicated line on a tree?

Just looking for some advice please.
    After years of doing my own tree, I’ve started researching my husband’s.
    He always knew that his grandmother had a child before marrying his grandfather, but it’s actually more complicated than that.
    Details:
    GM has child 1 in 1916. Father of child killed in the war, not on Birth certificate. Child named after father, with his surname as the middle name and GM surname as his surname.
    GM married GF in 1918.
    GM has child 2 in 1920. Birth certificate names GFs brother as the father, and the child is given the same Christian name. Baby dies at a few months old.
    GM has child 3 in 1922, a girl this time, with GFs brother named as father.
    In both of the above, brother is living a few doors away on the same street. And on the ER, GM and GF are living together.
    GM has child 4, another girl, with father’s name left blank. So presumably not GF or his brother?
    Then GM and GF have four more children where they are both named as the parents.
    On talking to another relative, I’ve been told that child 1, 3 and 4 knew that GF wasn’t their father. They weren’t aware that there was another baby who died.
    How on earth do I record this on a tree for my husband? I wish I could go back in time and ask his GM for the true story!

Last edited by darannon; 14-12-23, 13:21.

OH has a great grandmother whose brother in law was the father of her last two children (she was widowed by then, I have her as married and the brother in law as a partner and attached the children to the relevant relationship. You would need to add another unknown partner for the child with no father named.

Another great grandmother had two children before marriage, one of whom she confided to my mother in law was fathered by an Austrian musician, so one partner is labelled Unknown, another Austrian Musician and the third is down as husband and the children attached to her and whichever man is appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by darannon View Post
      Just looking for some advice please.
      After years of doing my own tree, I’ve started researching my husband’s.
      He always knew that his grandmother had a child before marrying his grandfather, but it’s actually more complicated than that.
      Details:
      GM has child 1 in 1916. Father of child killed in the war, not on Birth certificate. Child named after father, with his surname as the middle name and GM surname as his surname.
      GM married GF in 1918.
      GM has child 2 in 1920. Birth certificate names GFs brother as the father, and the child is given the same Christian name. Baby dies at a few months old.
      GM has child 3 in 1922, a girl this time, with GFs brother named as father.
      In both of the above, brother is living a few doors away on the same street. And on the ER, GM and GF are living together.
      GM has child 4, another girl, with father’s name left blank. So presumably not GF or his brother?
      Then GM and GF have four more children where they are both named as the parents.
      On talking to another relative, I’ve been told that child 1, 3 and 4 knew that GF wasn’t their father. They weren’t aware that there was another baby who died.
      How on earth do I record this on a tree for my husband? I wish I could go back in time and ask his GM for the true story!
      Depends which tree program you are using. With Family Historian it is reasonably straight forward. So the grandmother has had several relationships. Each of these need to be treated as separate partnerships or 'marriages' and added to the GM. There are two children by unknown fathers, so unless you have reason to believe there was only one man you need to add the fathers separately as 'unknown'. When adding the father who is her husband's brother make sure you connect to the brother rather than add a 'new' person for the father. The tree would then be made up of two charts. One for all the GM descendants and one for the two brother's parents showing that they are brothers. (In the big scheme of things it makes little difference to the children of the brothers because they still have the same grandparents!)

Anne

Comment

Working...
      X