Help researching Catherine Power, born approx 1827-31 Waterford, Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help researching Catherine Power, born approx 1827-31 Waterford, Ireland

Thank you for reading this and hopefully can help me.
    I have been researching my family tree and have always drawn a blank whilst looking for a relative in Waterford, I only had a first name but recently found her surname. I have also found her fathers name but that is it, I was hoping to find out more about where she and her husband from Wales lived etc. and her family.
    What is interesting is that her husband's home is at St Fagans National Museum of History (Cardiff) https://museum.wales/stfagans/

Name Catherine Power Birth 1827-1831 Waterford Father Patrick Power Marries Evan Evans 06th Feb 1847 Civil Marriage Records Ref ID 2:25TB7D2 but cannot read the writing.
    Spouse Evans Evans Birth 1821 Llanddwrog, Caernarvonshire Father William Evans (1801-1826)

They both moved to Pembrokeshire as a daughter was born in Pembrokeshire, Wales in about 1849.

I would be glad of any further information, diolch.

Do you have any indication of where in County Waterford your Catherine was born - e.g. town/parish ?

If your Powers were Catholic then the place to start would be with the RC Registers from the National Library of Ireland which have been indexed by both FindMyPast and Ancestry (you can search these on FMP with a free account), however Power is a very common surname in the area so a difficult search, especially as the date is before the start of many of the Catholic registers.

added : just spotted that the marriage was took place in Ireland, a registry office marriage in Waterford city - so possibly mixed ? bride's father is a labourer, the groom maybe a mariner ? I'll see if I can figure out the residences... maybe Ross Quarry, Co. Waterford (groom's father looks like it may be Quarry .. dead.). There was a major Slate Quarry near Kilmacthomas called Ross Quarry - it's located to the west of the city and about mid county, Waterford city is in the east)
    Last edited by Shanew147; 24-11-23, 15:05.

Comment

added : just spotted that the marriage was took place in Ireland, a registry office marriage in Waterford city - so possibly mixed ? bride's father is a labourer, the groom maybe a mariner ? I'll see if I can figure out the residences... maybe Ross Quarry, Co. Waterford (groom's father looks like it may be Quarry .. dead.). There was a major Slate Quarry near Kilmacthomas called Ross Quarry - it's located to the west of the city and about mid county, Waterford city is in the east)[/QUOTE]

Hi,
      Great thank you for your help, Catherine has been a mystery for over 30 years. We had a variation on her name but no surname and knew nothing about her.
      The groom was a Quarryman, working in North Wales slate quarries before going over to Ireland. It is said that he came over to learn english as the area he lived in was, and is still predominantly Welsh speaking. Hoping to go to Waterford in January.
      Diolch
      Last edited by DBala; 24-11-23, 16:46.

Comment

Some details on Ross quarry from a Site Report - includes maps and photos.

It's located on the main road the N25 running west from Waterford city about 16km (~10 miles), the nearest large town is Kilmeaden,

Comment

DBala if you know how to post an image, you can post the marriage cert to Evan Evans on here and we can try and read it for you.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
          X