Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone work out where John was born?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone work out where John was born?

John Spicer about 1819 but somewhere different on every census

He marries Hannah Rogers in 1841 Frome, Somerset.
    1841 says he's born in the county
    1851 says he's born Scotland and is a journeyman tailor!!
    1861 says Frome, Somerset
    1871 has been transcribed as Falkland but could be Folkland??
    1881 I think he is in Frome still but says born London!!

The only Chsristening coming up on hints shows a Joseph Spicer being born in Baldock, Herts.

His father is John which comes from the marriage and doesn't bring up any suggestions!

Do I assume he has no idea?

Thanks

Tessie

I assume its Joseph's PoB you're looking for, not John (the title says John).

The 1871 is probably supposed to say Faulkland, which is about 7-miles from Frome. I suspect that this is also what was written on the original 1851 household census too, but was mangled by the enumerator when he transferred the information over to the continuous schedule.

Not that I can find a baptism though.....
    Last edited by teasie; 22-11-23, 01:16.

Comment

Yes, it is Joseph Spicer, from Freebmd marriages. ..................

Looking at the 1841 Census, he said he was 20, and that has been determined to be 1821 BUT ages were rounded down to the b=nearest 5 in the 1841 census, so he could have been between 20 and 24.

There is another Joseph with father John, baptised in 1821, but it is also in Hertfordshire ...........
      First name(s) Joseph
      Last name Spicer
      Birth year -
      Baptism year 1821
      Baptism date 04 Nov 1821
      Place St Paul's Walden
      Father's first name(s) John
      Father's occupation Labourer
      Mother's first name(s) Mary
      Country England
      Record set Hertfordshire Baptisms
      Category Life Events (BDMs)
      ​​​
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
        I assume its Joseph's PoB you're looking for, not John (the title says John).

The 1871 is probably supposed to say Faulkland, which is about 7-miles from Frome. I suspect that this is also what was written on the original 1851 household census too, but was mangled by the enumerator when he transferred the information over to the continuous schedule.

Not that I can find a baptism though.....
        Oh God not a good start haha! Yes it is Joseph I'm after!!

Ah thank you!!

Comment

There's also a marriage in Frome RD in 1842 between Thomas Spicer and either Ann or Mary Carpenter that may be worth looking at further to see if there's a connection.

He may (or may not!) be the Thomas Spicer (Speier on Ancestry) aged 15 (rounded), Moulder born Ireland who was living in Frome in 1841.

Head of house is a 40-year-old named Rose Roberts who was born abroad,

Comment

There is a Falkland, in Fife, Scotland

Comment

There's also a marriage in Frome RD in 1842 between Thomas Spicer and either Ann or Mary Carpenter that may be worth looking at further to see if there's a connection.

He may (or may not!) be the Thomas Spicer (Speier on Ancestry) aged 15 (rounded), Moulder born Ireland who was living in Frome in 1841.

Head of house is a 40-year-old named Rose Roberts who was born abroad,
              It looks like Thomas may be another one who doesn't quite know where he was born! In 1871 I think he's in St Pancras, London aged 47 and born Frome, Somerset.

Comment

It looks like Thomas may be another one who doesn't quite know where he was born! In 1871 I think he's in St Pancras, London aged 47 and born Frome, Somerset.
                And in 1861 in Holborn he says he was born Bristol (Bristole per ancestry transcription) 🙄

From the mmn of the children with him, his wife's surname is BROWN, and there's this marriage 23 May 1852, Holborn

Thomas Spicer, full age, Bachelor, Smith. Father: John Spicer, Carpenter
                Mary Brown f/a Spinster, Father Joseph Brown, Drayman
                Wits: Cornelius Savage & Samuel Major(?) Hicks

Does the occupation of this John Spicer match that for Josephs father?
                Last edited by teasie; 22-11-23, 19:09. Reason: spelling

Comment

And in 1861 in Holborn he says he was born Bristol (Bristole per ancestry transcription) 🙄

From the mmn of the children with him, his wife's surname is BROWN, and there's this marriage 23 May 1852, Holborn

Thomas Spicer, full age, Bachelor, Smith. Father: John Spicer, Carpenter
                  Mary Brown f/a Spinster, Father Joseph Brown, Drayman
                  Wits: Cornelius Savage & Samuel Major(?) Hicks

Does the occupation of this John Spicer match that for Josephs father?
                  Yes, on Joseph's marriage bond/allegation his Father John is a carpenter!

Comment

I'm not certain that its the same Thomas, but its quite a coincidence if its not, considering the PoB of the people he's with! In 1851 at Saint John the Evangelist, Westminster - HO107/1479/73/33

Samuel Green aged 35 plus wife and children, all born Frome. Somerset, plus...
                    Thomas Spicer 27 Lodger Blacksmith born Glasgow, Scotland
                    George Singer 24 Lodger Labourer born Frome, Somerset

Comment

Working...
                    X