Mary Marriot unsure of date of birth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Marriot unsure of date of birth?

I've been battling this now for a couple of weeks. Mary Marriot was the daughter of Thomas & Hannah Marriot. She was baptised at St Marys Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. I'm having a bit of trouble trying to find her parents' marriage... and not having a lot of luck with that. I've got Marys's baptism record but am having a bit of difficulty deciphering the actual DOB. Can anyone else read it please - I've circled the record in yellow that I'm having trouble with. I can see that she was bapt 18th Jan 1734/5.
    this is the link to the actual record on Ancestry.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Mary Marriot bapt.jpg

thank you in advance.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

I'm interpreting "10ber" as October...so born October 19th. George, the next entry has the same birth month.

Comment

Hmm. FS says that the BT for Sutton in Ashfield is transcribed/indexed, but I'm not seeing them pop up on an FS search.

Comment

delete. so wrong. well, maybe, but with problems.
        Thomas Merriot
        Male
        Hannah Tew
        Female
        Marriage
        29 Aug 1720
        Matlock, Derbyshire, England
        2:3CN0BXF
        ​
        So, FS maps says Matlock is 12.39 miles from Ashfield. Do you know of other children in the family, that might give a clue as to when the marriage took place?
        Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 14-11-23, 19:50.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
          Hmm. FS says that the BT for Sutton in Ashfield is transcribed/indexed, but I'm not seeing them pop up on an FS search.
          Tell me about it! I've been going batty trying to look on FS for ANYTHING and coming up with a big fat nada!

I have just discovered though that '10 ber' was the old name for December! who knew?? not me... I did think initially like you, 10th month October surely... er nope!

I struggle so much now trying to search FS, it was so easy before, but now..nothing matches with my search criteria.
          Julie

Comment

In this record of that marriage, his surname is transcribed "Merrick"
            Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

... '10 ber' was the old name for December! ...
              Oh, yeah - "Oct" would be prefix for 8 (like octopus), "Dec" prefix for ten (like decimal).

Comment

In this record of that marriage, his surname is transcribed "Merrick"
                https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KBFH-S1J
                I'm not sure that is them tbh, Matlock is praps 20miles from SIA.... I have their first child Elizabeth being 1730-1730.

I'll have to have a look tomorrow, I need to get to bed as I'm up at 5am, sons just gone to work.

Thank you for looking x
                Julie

Comment

OK, Ancestry has the Thomas Merriot/Merrick record, which simply states there was a marriage between the two of them without mentioning the B&G's parishes.

However, I didn't find anything to say that it is a BT or PR.

Then interestingly, there is this record
                  Thomas Merriott
                  Marriage
                  29 Aug 1720
                  Matlock, Staffordshire, England
                  Sutton in Ashfield
                  Hannah Sow
                  ​

Not sure what to make of that. How would Staffordshire play?

Comment

Not sure, but I expect it came from the marriage licence that FS has indexed
                    Thomas (age 28) married <sic> Hannah Sow (age 19) on 29 August 1720 in Matlock, Derbyshire, England. Spouse's Residence Place: Sutton in Ashfield​

Marriage: England, Staffordshire, Church Records, 1538-1944
                    citing Marriage License, Matlock, Derbyshire, England, Staffordshire & Stoke on Trent Archive Service, Stafford;
                    FHL microfilm 7,618,964
                    Thomas Merriott (28) marriage to Hannah Sow (19) on 29 Aug 1720 in Matlock, Derbyshire, England.

So, not really a marriage record, but rather the index to the licence. A licence would explain why it was in Staffordshire, too.

ETA - apparently the record is on FMP - could someone do a look up?
                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 14-11-23, 22:47.

Comment

This is what I'm finding on FMP

Thomas Merriott in 1720

Staffordshire, Dioceses Of Lichfield & Coventry Marriage Allegations And Bonds, 1636-1893
                      Matlock, Derbyshire, England View original record
                      First name(s) Thomas
                      Last name Merriott
                      Age 28
                      Birth year 1692
                      Marriage year 1720
                      Marriage year as transcribed 1720
                      Marriage date 29 Aug 1720
                      Marriage place Matlock
                      County Derbyshire
                      Residence parish Sutton in Ashfield
                      Spouse's first name(s) Hannah
                      Spouse's last name Sow
                      Spouse's age 19
                      Spouse's birth year 1701
                      Spouse's residence parish Sutton in Ashfield
                      Country England
                      Record set Staffordshire, Dioceses Of Lichfield & Coventry Marriage Allegations And Bonds, 1636-1893
                      Category Life Events (BDMs)
                      Subcategory Parish Marriages
                      Collections from England, Great Britain
                      ​

First name(s) Hannah
                      Last name Sow
                      Age 19
                      Birth year 1701
                      Marriage year 1720
                      Marriage place Matlock
                      County Derbyshire
                      Spouse's first name(s) Thomas
                      Spouse's last name Merriott
                      Spouse's age 28
                      Spouse's birth year 1692
                      Country England
                      Record set Staffordshire, Dioceses Of Lichfield & Coventry Marriage Allegations And Bonds, 1636-1893
                      Transcriptions © Findmypast 2015

I looked at the original, but the writing is so faint that I couldn't make it out.
                      ​
                      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Not sure, but I expect it came from the marriage licence that FS has indexed
                        Thomas (age 28) married <sic> Hannah Sow (age 19) on 29 August 1720 in Matlock, Derbyshire, England. Spouse's Residence Place: Sutton in Ashfield​

Marriage: England, Staffordshire, Church Records, 1538-1944
                        citing Marriage License, Matlock, Derbyshire, England, Staffordshire & Stoke on Trent Archive Service, Stafford;
                        FHL microfilm 7,618,964
                        Thomas Merriott (28) marriage to Hannah Sow (19) on 29 Aug 1720 in Matlock, Derbyshire, England.

So, not really a marriage record, but rather the index to the licence. A licence would explain why it was in Staffordshire, too.

ETA - apparently the record is on FMP - could someone do a look up?

THANK YOU.... I had seen this record but dismissed it, some have her name as Hannah Tew? No wonder I couldn't flipping find anything when his name is down as Merriott! jeez louise!

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                        This is what I'm finding on FMP

Thomas Merriott in 1720

Staffordshire, Dioceses Of Lichfield & Coventry Marriage Allegations And Bonds, 1636-1893
                        Matlock, Derbyshire, England View original record
                        First name(s) Thomas
                        Last name Merriott
                        Age 28
                        Birth year 1692
                        Marriage year 1720
                        Marriage place Matlock
                        County Derbyshire
                        Spouse's first name(s) Hannah
                        Spouse's last name Sow
                        Spouse's age 19
                        Spouse's birth year 1701
                        Country England
                        ​

First name(s) Hannah
                        Last name Sow
                        Age 19
                        Birth year 1701
                        Marriage year 1720
                        Marriage place Matlock
                        County Derbyshire
                        Spouse's first name(s) Thomas
                        Spouse's last name Merriott
                        Spouse's age 28
                        Spouse's birth year 1692
                        Country England
                        Transcriptions © Findmypast 2015

I looked at the original, but the writing is so faint that I couldn't make it out.
                        ​
                        Sylvia C if I pm you with my email address could you send me the image please?

Julie

Comment

Julie, I have family in Kirkby in Ashfield and Sutton in Ashfield 1700's and early 1800's. They are going over the boarder all the time. Matlock, Pentrich, Alfreton. Took me ages to sort them all out.
                          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                            Julie, I have family in Kirkby in Ashfield and Sutton in Ashfield 1700's and early 1800's. They are going over the boarder all the time. Matlock, Pentrich, Alfreton. Took me ages to sort them all out.
                            Tell me about it...lol.. Thomas & Hannah are my 6xgrt Grandparents... a mare of a family trying to find records... it doesn't help that some records have Thos as Marriott/Merriot/Merrick! and Hannah as Sow/Few/Tew!.. sounds like a song from the sound of music!

I might get chance this evening to have another look to see if I can find anything re Thomas's bapt, there was a record I saw that said he was from Matlock, but I can't remember where it was now!... another thing that is bothering me, why would some of the records say Matlock, Staffordshire?? not unless there were border changes?
                            Julie

Comment

I think the Staffordshire is where the marriage Licences were either recorded at the time or where the records are held now. I think one I had from West Hallam was from Staffordshire or Lichfield.

The marriage transcript says Hannah Tew on FMP. Does Ancestry have the original or is it too early for what they have on line.?
                              Lin

Comment

How about this!!

Thomas MARYOT, son of Thomas and Anne baptised 10 July 1693 St Mary Magdalene Sutton in Ashfield, It does say on the Licence that he was from Matlock but that could just be where he was living at the time.

Lin

Comment

I think the Staffordshire is where the marriage Licences were either recorded at the time or where the records are held now. I think one I had from West Hallam was from Staffordshire or Lichfield.

The marriage transcript says Hannah Tew on FMP. Does Ancestry have the original or is it too early for what they have on line.?
                                  I have found the image on Ancestry, I was getting a bit worried that Ancestry might not have the Derbyshire records anymore, I was kind of expecting it to be at DRO, so when it showed Staffordshire it threw me a bit. BUT I couldn't find it using Thomas, I tried Hannah and it came right up!... [though that has him transcribed as Thomas Merrick!]
                                  Julie

Comment

How about this!!

Thomas MARYOT, son of Thomas and Anne baptised 10 July 1693 St Mary Magdalene Sutton in Ashfield, It does say on the Licence that he was from Matlock but that could just be where he was living at the time.
                                    WOWzers! that does look promising, he might have just been working in Matlock, it kind of makes sense that he'd come back 'home' and meet a local girl. Thank you Lin Fisher I'm off to have a look.
                                    Julie

Comment

Have you cast a wide net looking for wills & burials?
                                      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 15-11-23, 21:32.

Comment

Sure ....... send me your email address, and I'll do my best to send you the actual image of the original
                                        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                                        X