Mystery war records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery war records

Can anyone help me find this man. I'm clearing out my nans house and we've found some very moth eaten records. We can work out:

pte Albert Slough. Almost definitely WWI, Liverpool regiment.

it's not a family name I recognise, but there is an envelope addressed to my great grandparents in with it so I assume it was sent to them so must ge connected.

they were Robert and Lilian Adams from Romford.

any ideas?
    Queenbee

From the Army Registers of Soldiers Effects: Pte Albert Slough 1/8 Kings Liverpool Regiment no. 325006 died 20/9/1917 alias Hy. A. Josland. 6/6/19 Sister & Legatee: Mrs E.G. Luckham. Next of kin to Legatee: William Luckham. (Found a death for Emma G Luckham 1919 in Poplar)

UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929 - Ancestry.co.uk

It seems Albert was born in East Ham.
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 08-09-23, 14:24.

Comment

Amazing Jill on the A272! Josland is a family name, it was Lilians maiden name. I wonder why he used an alias??

so I would assume that Emma Luckham is nee Josland and they are both siblings of Lilian.

I dont have a lot of information on Lilians family as her parents died yound and my Nan never knew, or talked about, any aunts or uncles on her mums side.
      Queenbee

Comment

CWGC has payment with will in favour of sister Mrs E Luckham. Next column says 'were effects forwarded to base' and the answer is yes so hopefully she got any effects he left.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Some of the other documents on CWGC show he was originally an unknown soldier and was subsequently identified. So sad that he died, but grateful that he was able to be identified and his name put on the gravestone
          Queenbee

Comment

Yes, I saw that and thought how sad. Didn't put too much in my reply as I was repeating what Jill had found but from another site.

You might find a few more gems from your Nans papers.
            Lin

Comment

Very few papers left.... very moth eaten! But the service numbers are the same so definitely confirms its the right person.

just dug out the old tree info and I knew about Harry A Josland but only had his birth. Obviously couldn't find anything else as he was going by Albert Slough!
              Queenbee

Comment

All tied up nicely now. Well done.
                Lin

Comment

Working...
                X