Help with photograph pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with photograph pls

I have a photograph which I believe to be my great grandmother with her 3 daughters, the eldest of which would be my grandmother. From the clothes they are wearing and ages it looks like it was taken in the mid 1910's by a photographer (and pianoforte dealer) called Alfred Russell of 1 Orsett Rd, Grays.

Is there anyway I can find out what happened to his shop and/or what would happen to his photos/negatives/paperwork so that I can confirm that it is my relatives on the photo? My great grandparents would have lived in the Wanstead/Leyton area so I think it's not too far away. i live in East Sussex so not exactly on my doorstep!

Many thanks.
    Bev
    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Looking at the Royal Photographic Society web page it says they are often asked about individual photographers archives and are not aware of anywhere that holds them.

He wasn't at that address in 1921 but is there, a single man aged 36 living with his widowed father in 1911. Not sure that helps though.

Comment

I would think essex archives would be the first place to ask. But there may be no records to find. Or they could be in the hands of descendants. There isn't a uniform answer.

Comment

Thanks Jill and Kyle. I thought it might be an impossible question to answer but I will try Essex Archives.
        Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

he is in the trade directories for around 30 years as a pianoforte maker/dealer. You can see them for free on Leicester ac, not that they tell you anything.

you could try searching for them generally, someone else may be in possession of the same prints and have some detail.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
          X