Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• father on marriage records

hi,
    does anyone know what year fathers were listed on parish records for marriages? Were they listed as early as 1829?

Myself and a cousin appear to have been tracing the wrong person - we have both different dates of birth and therefore different parents for a man. the man concerened we have the same wife for, but the births are 3yrs apart (we both have baptism records for the man we have traced.) SO it seems the only way we can work out who has the right parents is by marriage IF the father was listed.

thanks.
    Amy
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

1837, though a father might have been a witness at a marriage before that date but would not be recorded as such.
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 21-08-23, 13:51.

Comment

I assume the baptism records have same name for fathers? and same town? could be an outside chance in the newspapers. have you found both of them on census? same occupation?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I had a similar case and the only way I worked out which was which was when they died (also close together in time and place) and I worked out which was born when. Can you find another marriage for the 'other one'? Can you find them both having children? The mother's maiden name on the GRO index for later children might help sort them.

Anne
        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 21-08-23, 15:21.

Comment

hi,
          thankfor replies.

no the fathers have different names i have a thomas and my cousin has a john, and they have different wives. which is why we were questioning on a father being on marriage that early. By the time the census comes in 1841 they are married and not with parents etc.

both baptisms list the parents we have both followed - i have thomas barron 22 June 1811 shotley Durham parents thomas and margaret, and cousin has thomas barron 29 jul 1808 houghton durham parents john and jane. The family is from all around this area. from Thomas down to modern people we agree its just his parents and date of birth :( we both have him married to Elizabeth Jutson and have him and his family on census - which has different place of birth again (west rainton - which is where the lackey's and jackson were all settled - the Barrons married the Jackson line) but his birth year changes on each census.

I've message the church that Thomas was married in to see if they hold any more information that may help us. There are many trees that have either of the "fathers" (Thomas or John) listed, so again no help and most dont have records to back up info.
          **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Did either Thomas or John leave a Will naming their son and / or any other children.?
            Maybe even grandchildren might be mentioned.

Comment

The naming pattern of their children may give clues, traditionally this is 1st son & 2nd daughter named after the father's parents, 1st daughter & 2nd son named after the mother's parents.

Comment

both baptisms are on FMP

Thomas married to margaret is a blacksmith parish of Bywell, does say he is native of Highfor???? sorry don't know area

john and Jane - he is a pitman native painshaw? and Jane Rainton Gate
                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-08-23, 07:37.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

In the census Thomas says he was a coal miner and born West Rainton, so this is most likely his baptism at Houghton Le Spring:

"Thomas Barron of West Rainton. Born 29 July 1808, Baptised 9 Oct 1808. 2nd son of John Barron, Pitman, native of Painshaw (Penshaw) by his wife Jane Fecker/Fracker native of Rainton Gate".

The Thomas s/o Thomas & Margaret was born High Fortherley, which is Bywell (about 25 miles from West Rainton).

Last edited by teasie; 22-08-23, 02:03.

Comment

Working...
                  X