No announcement yet.

Isherwood / Wilding / De-Wilding help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isherwood / Wilding / De-Wilding help!!

Hi all,

Annie Elizabeth Isherwood (or Elizabrth Annie) born about 1878 Cork, Ireland according to 1881 census living in Sculcoates with her parents William and Elizabeth. On the 1891 it is Crosshaven, Ireland for her birth and she's added De Wilding after Isherwood to her name (she's a servant in Portlock Weir, Somerset) - I can't see anyhting birth wise for her but I think Irish history is harder to find these things?

On her marriage registration she continues to use Isherwood De Wilding as her surname.

Her father William inter uses Isherwood and Wilding as his middle name/surname with only the De Wilding being used on his death registration. All census' point to his birth around 1838 in Preston, Lancs. I found a baptism that matches this and the parents are John Isherwood and Nancy. I've looked on the GRO but the only William Isherwood in 1838 for Preson Union is presumably to an unmarried mother as there is no MMN!

I can't find a good enough match for a marriage for John and Nancy to be sure it's them and I can't tie up a birth on the GRO for William.
    Is it just a case of me going through all the GRO results for 1837-1839 for William Isherwoods in Lancs and cross referencing marriages in the hopes that I get a John and Nancy to match?

Where has the Wilding come from?

EDIT - on the 1891 census it says he's an army pensioner (I think).

Thanks for reading, Tessie
    Last edited by tessie31082; 15-08-23, 19:21.

There is a birth record in Kinsale, Cork for the birth of a Elizabeth Annie Wilding. She was born 30th Dec 1877. Her father is a private in the 50th Regiment. His full name is William Isherwood Wilding, his wife is named as Elizabeth Wilding formerly Ford. This apears to fit.

Matt
    My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Try Lancsopc for the parents marriage and his baptism. Apparently yhere is a large deficit in GRO for lancs events.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Muir View Post
        There is a birth record in Kinsale, Cork for the birth of a Elizabeth Annie Wilding. She was born 30th Dec 1877. Her father is a private in the 50th Regiment. His full name is William Isherwood Wilding, his wife is named as Elizabeth Wilding formerly Ford. This apears to fit.

Matt
        Thanks Matt, what website did you get this info from? I wonder if I can find out anymor about his military history!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          Try Lancsopc for the parents marriage and his baptism. Apparently yhere is a large deficit in GRO for lancs events.
          Thanks, I'll go take a look!

Comment

The site you want is https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
            It covers Births 1864-1921
            Marriage 1845-1946
            Deaths Index 1864-1877 then records 1878-1971.
            Its free to use and view the actual records.
            Good searching. Any probs let me know & I can send you a copy of the birth record.
            Matt

Comment

The site you want is https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
              It covers Births 1864-1921
              Marriage 1845-1946
              Deaths Index 1864-1877 then records 1878-1971.
              Its free to use and view the actual records.
              Good searching. Any probs let me know & I can send you a copy of the birth record.
              Matt
              Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but nothing is showing up!
              Tried Elizabeth Wilding, Elizabeth Annie Wilding, tried with Kinsale and without, with 1877 and without lol!

Comment

Just search for
                Wilding......1877 to 1878.......Birth.
                One result will come up for Birth of Elizabeth Wilding in 1878.
                Although she was born in 1877 it was recorded in 1878.
                Matt

Comment

Just search for
                  Wilding......1877 to 1878.......Birth.
                  One result will come up for Birth of Elizabeth Wilding in 1878.
                  Although she was born in 1877 it was recorded in 1878.
                  Matt

Finally got it, thank you! Any idea of where William is living - can't quite work it out something Fort?

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post

Finally got it, thank you! Any idea of where William is living - can't quite work it out something Fort?
                    Camden Fort - it's close to the town of Crosshaven
                    Last edited by Shanew147; 17-08-23, 15:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanew147 View Post

Camden Fort - it's close to the town of Crosshaven
                      Thank you, now to see if I can find any info on this '50th regiment'!

Comment

Working...
                      X